How to discard certificate validation in HttpWebRequest

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows 8 Metro C# Code which sends HTTP POST to a HTTPS URL.

I know that the certificate is invalid/expired. I want to discard the certificate validation. Can anyone suggest me how to do discard certificate validation.

The exception I am getting is

Exception thrown is: System.Net.WebExceptionStatus.TrustFailure             

Exception Details: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

My code looks like this:

public sealed partial class BlankPage1 : Page

{

private static ManualResetEvent allDone = new ManualResetEvent(false);

private async void Button_Click_1(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

{

string url = "https://100.100.100.100/page.html";

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)WebRequest.Create(url);

request.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded";

request.Method = "POST";

request.BeginGetRequestStream(new AsyncCallback(GetRequestStreamCallback), request);

allDone.WaitOne();

}

private static void GetRequestStreamCallback(IAsyncResult asynchronousResult)

{

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)asynchronousResult.AsyncState;

Stream postStream = request.EndGetRequestStream(asynchronousResult);

string postData = "Sample data to post";

byte[] byteArray = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(postData);

// Write to the request stream.

postStream.Write(byteArray, 0, postData.Length);

postStream.Dispose();

// Start the asynchronous operation to get the response

request.BeginGetResponse(new AsyncCallback(GetResponseCallback), request);

}

private static void GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult asynchronousResult)

{

HttpWebRequest request = (HttpWebRequest)asynchronousResult.AsyncState;

//====================================================================

// Exception is thrown on the below line

// Exception is: System.Net.WebExceptionStatus.TrustFailure

// Exception Details: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

//====================================================================

HttpWebResponse response = (HttpWebResponse)request.EndGetResponse(asynchronousResult);

Stream streamResponse = response.GetResponseStream();

StreamReader streamRead = new StreamReader(streamResponse);

string responseString = streamRead.ReadToEnd();

streamResponse.Dispose();

streamRead.Dispose();

response.Dispose();

allDone.Set();

}

}

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hey the easiest way is to open the https page in IE, have a look at the certificate, then "Install Certificate" to Trusted People store.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to achieve this through the code.

Can you please share some thoughts on how it can be achieved through code.

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

A. John Paul

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:12 PM
  • I would look for the SslStream class in metro documentation there is an example with validationcallback.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please share the sample code of SslStream class with with validationcallback.

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

A. John Paul

Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:31 PM
  • here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/system.net.security.sslstream%28v=vs.110%29.aspx have a look at the last example and the function ValidateServerCertificate... You can just return true in this function mask any certificate errors. This example is using a tcp client but I guess you can do the same with an http client.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

I tried the code given in the above URL. This code is not working in Windows 8 Metro Style Apps. The following import statements are showing compiler errors.

using System.Net.Security;
    using System.Net.Sockets;
    using System.Security.Authentication;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Security' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Net' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\HTTPSSample\HTTPSSample\BlankPage1.xaml.cs 20 18 HTTPSSample
    Error 2 The type or namespace name 'Sockets' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Net' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\HTTPSSample\HTTPSSample\BlankPage1.xaml.cs 21 18 HTTPSSample
    Error 3 The type or namespace name 'Authentication' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Security' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\HTTPSSample\HTTPSSample\BlankPage1.xaml.cs 22 23 HTTPSSample
    Error 4 The type or namespace name 'Cryptography' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Security' (are you missing an assembly reference?) D:\HTTPSSample\HTTPSSample\BlankPage1.xaml.cs 23 23 HTTPSSample
    Error 5 The type or namespace name 'Hashtable' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) D:\HTTPSSample\HTTPSSample\BlankPage1.xaml.cs 148 24 HTTPSSample

Any other idea please?

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

A. John Paul

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Hi A.JohnPaul,

You cannot ignore certificate errors.  The server must provide a valid certificate.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Hi Jeff Sanders,

Thank you for your information.

If you come to know any other way to ignore certificate errors. Please let me know.

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

A. John Paul

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:01 AM
  • You never have to ignore them.  You can just fix your test machine so your cert is in the trusted root of the Machine store!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Through code, is it possible to store the invalid certificate in trusted root of Machine store.

Regards,

A.JohnPaul

A. John Paul

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Absolutely!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464981.aspx#certificates_extension_sample_1

You can include the server cert (and any intermediate certs) in your app and through the certificate extensions, set that cert in code.

1. Export the server cert to a .der file

2. Include the cert in your application (I put mine in the Assets Directory)

Right click on the cert after you include it in your project and

a. set the Build Action to Content

b. set the Copy to Output Directory to Copy always

3.  Open the package.appxmanifest in the text or XML editor by right clicking on it and add your cert to the "Root"

</Capabilities>
      <Extensions>
        <!--Certificates Extension-->
        <Extension Category="windows.certificates">
          <Certificates>
            <Certificate StoreName="Root" Content="Assets\jsanders4.cer" />

</Certificates>
        </Extension>
      </Extensions>

Note:  This is the trusted root store for this application only (for obvious security reasons).

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Absolutely!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464981.aspx#certificates_extension_sample_1

You can include the server cert (and any intermediate certs) in your app and through the certificate extensions, set that cert in code.

1. Export the server cert to a .der file

2. Include the cert in your application (I put mine in the Assets Directory)

Right click on the cert after you include it in your project and

a. set the Build Action to Content

b. set the Copy to Output Directory to Copy always

3.  Open the package.appxmanifest in the text or XML editor by right clicking on it and add your cert to the "Root"

</Capabilities>
      <Extensions>
        <!--Certificates Extension-->
        <Extension Category="windows.certificates">
          <Certificates>
            <Certificate StoreName="Root" Content="Assets\jsanders4.cer" />

</Certificates>
        </Extension>
      </Extensions>

Note:  This is the trusted root store for this application only (for obvious security reasons).

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Does this work for self-signed certs?  Because I still get a HttpRequestException that the says it failed the trust validation.  And the cert is not installed on the device.
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 2:39 AM
  • Yes it does (jsanders4.cer is a self signed cert for my IIS server)!  If you have a validation chain you would also include any cert in that chain.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. It works!.

I am facing a new problem now.

In my code, I am contacting many local servers in my LAN. And all the servers are having invalid certificate. I would like to avoid manual process of exporting/importing the certificate and updating the manifest file. Is there any way where I can automate all the above three points through code.

Regards,

John

A. John Paul

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Hi John,

Let's take a step back.  If you are using HTTPS for security, and the number of servers is not static and all of these servers have certificates that are not valid, why would you bother using HTTPS to begin with?  It would be incredibly easy for someone to spoof an address and intercept all your traffic!  Certificate verification is very important to ensure your HTTP server is indeed secure - HTTP(S).  Also HTTP traffic will be faster that HTTPS traffic since you really don't care to verify the authenticity of the server.  See if you can convince your network admin to abandon HTTPS or get valid certificates for these servers.

That said...  If you really want to do this, the easiest way is to set the 'many' servers up signed with a root certificate authority (could be your own) and trust that root certificate.  At least then you could install the root cert with the manifest and trust that.  Make sense?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, September 07, 2012 11:44 AM
  • I have read your post, it helps me a lot ,but currently I still can't make https work on my metro apps.

The Environment is 

Server: Ubuntu Server 12.04, Web Server: Mongoose

Client: Windows 8 

And I have a key in pem format installed on server, I can access the web page through browser, but browser just said the certificate can't be trusted, and I transfer the pem file to der file with openssl, and include the der file in Visual studio solution, I still can't send https request successfully.

Could you give a more detailed instructions? thank you very much.

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:30 AM
  • Use Internet Explorer to access your https site.  Trust the certificate and go to the page.  Then Export then view and export the server certificate by hitting the little icon that look like a lock.  Then use that cert in the instructions above.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Friday, September 28, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Please help me , if suppose I had a invalid certificate if that case can metro app accept and continue with the website as its done in browser ?

regards,

Joy

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:17 PM
  • No, there is no way to explicitly do that.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:43 PM
  • thanks Jeff

regards,

joy

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Jeff,

We are trying the same, and we understand the security concerns. However we have a Win8 app that allows our customers to connect to any webserver, and we cannot guarantee that every customer will have a proper CA certified certificate, This will create a lot of customer issues where they wont be able to use our app, is there any way to override this behavior, to show a warning to user and and get his input if he wants to really proceed with this connection.

We have done this in our Android/iOS app where we override the TrustManagers for the HttpClient and handle this certificate error, and then we show a warning to user if he wants to accept this and wants to proceed with the unsigned/self-signed/expired/unverified server certificate. 

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 4:13 PM
  • The new HttpClient client related classes allow you to do this in Windows 8.1: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.web.http.aspx

I do not have time today to whip up a code sample but if you search with Bing I believe you will find a couple.

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Would you please give us an example for that? I read HttpClient in your link, but found nothing for how to solve this problem which I also have. Thank you very much!!!
    Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:07 AM
  • This thread had gotten way too big to manage or be effective for others.  Lewis, please post a new question on the forum and outline what you have tried and your exact issue to include what is wrong with your particular certificate and what troubleshooting you have done.  Thanks!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, September 09, 2013 12:26 PM