none
build a local use only metro app package

Question

• using the visual studio 2011, I can create a metro app, build the app, and package the app using "Store/Create App Package" to create a "use locally only" package. I can copy the package (include the appx and batch files) to other win8 machine. I can install the package with developer license by running the batch file.

Is there a command line to build this kind of package? 

using MakeAppx can only create the appx file.

Thanks!

Bill

Monday, April 02, 2012 10:46 PM

Answers

• You can build an app package on the command line just by invoking build on the project using msbuild.exe (e.g. MSbuild.exe foo.csproj). Building the project on the command line automatically generates an app package as part of the build. Upon build completion, you should see a folder named AppPackages in the output location with the app package inside it.
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Please have a look at this thread.  Biac links should answer your question. 

The direct English link can be found here.

Sideloading, which is available in both Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows Server "8" Beta, refers to installing apps directly to a device without going through the Windows Store. LOB apps do not need to be certified by Microsoft and cannot be installed through the Windows Store but they must be signed with a certificate chained to a trusted root certificate. It is recommended that IT administrators use the same technical certification that is done by the Windows Store on LOB apps.

For more information about sideloading, see How to Add and Remove Apps.

For more information about running the technical certification tests, see How to test your app with the Windows App Certification Kit.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:06 PM
  • You can build an app package on the command line just by invoking build on the project using msbuild.exe (e.g. MSbuild.exe foo.csproj). Building the project on the command line automatically generates an app package as part of the build. Upon build completion, you should see a folder named AppPackages in the output location with the app package inside it.
    Friday, April 06, 2012 1:46 AM
  • Despite having a VS2012 Professional installation that builds apps just fine, I cant run MSBUILD.EXE from the command line.  I did of course just try to find MSBUILD.EXE on my machine and then add to my path.  But I can't find the file?  Is it hidden?  Can I download it from somewhere?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:11 AM