none
Playing FLV in MediaElement Control in Metro

Question

• Looking at the question here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithcsharp/thread/f2fa4a0c-ab36-44a0-9373-79b2f7387b3b

Here's the MSFT response: The .avi file may contain video encoded using a codec that is not supported out of the box. If this is the case you will need to write your own video decoder that will plug into the media pipeline. Video decoders are written for Media Foundation using Media Foundation Transforms (MFTs). An example of writing an MFT can be found in the sample that I provided. Keep in mind that it can be very difficult to write an MFT. We expect that developers writing MFTs are familiar with how codecs work and how Digital Signal Processors (DSPs) work.

What I want to know: Is it possible to write an FLV decoder as an MFT for the MediaElement that will work in Metro apps?  Nevermind that is may be hard or whatever, is it possible to extend the codecs that are supported such that I could add a mediaElement that can play FLV?

Encoding is not an option because the files that my app is expected to play come from YouTube and only about 50% of the videos on the site can be played with HTML5, the rest require Flash to play.

We need FLV support or at least some way for developers to support the FLV format in MediaElement in order to write apps that can consume media from popular video sharing sites.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Kyle,

Yes, it is possible for a developer to write an FLV decoder. As James explained in the response that you quote, new decoders can be written using Media Foundation and then used in the Media Element.

--Rob

Thursday, June 07, 2012 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Kyle,

Yes, it is possible for a developer to write an FLV decoder. As James explained in the response that you quote, new decoders can be written using Media Foundation and then used in the Media Element.

--Rob

Thursday, June 07, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I agreed with the last bolded sentence.  Would be appreciated to have the MediaElement supporting FLV and any wide used format on the internet
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:05 PM