none
Is WinRT available for Desktop apps?

Answers

• Generally, WinRT can be used from both desktop and metro apps, though specific APIs may be tied to one environment or the other. For example, the contract APIs (share, search, file picker) are only usable from Metro. The Deployment APIs, on the other hand, are only usable from desktop. 

Eventually, the docs will list which environments (desktop, metro or both) a given API works in. 

Note, that while WinRT works for exposing Windows APIs for both desktop and metro, we only support 3rd party WinRT components in metro style applications. Both metadata resolution and component activation depend on information from the .appx manifest, which only exists for Metro style apps.

Passion * Technology * Ruthless Competence
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:59 PM

All replies

• No, it is not available for desktop apps. Future plans has not been announced yet, but we might hear something while approaching Beta release.

• Edited by MCCZ Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Generally, WinRT can be used from both desktop and metro apps, though specific APIs may be tied to one environment or the other. For example, the contract APIs (share, search, file picker) are only usable from Metro. The Deployment APIs, on the other hand, are only usable from desktop. 

Eventually, the docs will list which environments (desktop, metro or both) a given API works in. 

Note, that while WinRT works for exposing Windows APIs for both desktop and metro, we only support 3rd party WinRT components in metro style applications. Both metadata resolution and component activation depend on information from the .appx manifest, which only exists for Metro style apps.

Passion * Technology * Ruthless Competence
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:59 PM
  • It would be great if Windows.Storage would be available for desktop apps. That way I can exchange roaming data and settings between the Metro style and the desktop version of my app.
    • Proposed as answer by Kamil Zm Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kamil Zm Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:53 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Thanks, Harry, for finally clarifying this.
    Robert Levy
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Can you please let me know steps to use the WinRT from an Desktop app. Is it possible to use the Windows.Data.Xml.Dom from WinRT namespace in the desktop environment ?.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix:

Windows on ARM doesn't support classic desktop apps, based on Win32, WPF, Silverlight, or WinForms. This, I am not surprised at, and I agree with this decision. However, given these limitations of the ARM version of windows, I think there needs to be a way for third parties to make desktop apps that target WinRT and are packaged and distributed through the windows store. In fact, it looks like it is already possible in the developer preview to make a WinRT desktop app, though not a "packaged" one:

http://mrspiteri.wordpress.com/2011/10/16/windows-runtime-xaml-for-the-desktop/

This at least provides a good proof of concept. It's possible to support "desktop-style" WinRT apps - it just needs to be polished and extended so that a "desktop-style" WinRT app can be packaged up and distributed through the store, just like its "metro-style" cousins.

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:40 PM