none
So Without a Hard Backbutton, are the Windows 8 UI design Rules different to WP7 ?

General discussion

• So we have been developing Metro Apps against the the WP7 Rules, where we are told to avoid putting "Back Buttons" into our code, cos the WP7 Phones have a nice big Back Button on the devcie (as well as Search)  -  All Wel and Dandy, nice use of Button Space: Back Button, Windwos Home and Search on WP7 Phones.

Now I start to look at the Windows 8 UI Guidance, and I have to implement loads of 'Back Button' icons in the Left Hand edge of my Apps Pags !  - What a waste of opportunity and real estate.  Surely Tablets could and should have a Back Button, and Search Button, to make the Windows 8 Tablets consistent with WPx Phones.  Now we have to develop two Code bases, one for Phones and another for Tablets, as well as confused style for Users.   This is where Apple gets it right, and Microsoft misses its opportunites.  Make Back Buttons and Search Buttons mandatory in the Tablet Hardware Spec !

Just Plain Dumb, Sometimes I have to wonder what goes through the minds at Microsoft!

Newbie Indigo and SOA fanatic

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:59 PM

All replies

• But you haven't seen the guidelines for Windows Phone 8 (and neither have i) so they could have changed to fall in line with Windows 8.

Of course that would mean no WP8 for current WP7 handsets (But that's not what this forum is for)

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:33 PM
  • That makes no sense at all. 

We do know that WP7 Apps will run on WP8 phones, and so the WP7 Back Button functionality.

What a stupid waste !

Silverlight an XNA Fan

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:05 PM