none
How to make use of WLAN API in Metro style applications?

Question

• Is there any way to make use of WLAN API in Metro style applications? If not possible, what is the alternative WinRT API available to manage profiles and SSIDs?

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:57 AM

Answers

• This functionality is not exposed to Metro style applications.  An operator's app can create profiles for their networks (with known SSIDs), but listing and connecting to visible networks is controlled by the user via the Windows connection management UI, not by an application.

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:26 PM

All replies

• To get the list of profiles on the machine, use Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation.GetNetworkProfiles().  To create and manage profiles for your network, use Windows.Networking.NetworkOperators.ProvisioningAgent to pass in the network configuration file that describes your mobile broadband network and/or Wi-Fi hotspots.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:06 PM
  • There is no method like GetNetworkProfiles() in Windows.Networking.Connectivity.NetworkInformation. But the available method GetConnectionProfiles() is only enumerating saved profiles. How do I enumerate available hotspots which are not yet stored as profiles?

Also I would like to get full information about available hotspots with details like SSID, Signal, Authentication type etc. I am looking for a complete alternative to WLAN API/WlanClient in MetroStyle platform.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:45 AM
  • This functionality is not exposed to Metro style applications.  An operator's app can create profiles for their networks (with known SSIDs), but listing and connecting to visible networks is controlled by the user via the Windows connection management UI, not by an application.

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:26 PM
  • This is disappointing.  There won't be any WiFi Analyzer Metro apps, or possibly other low-level device apps.

Is this a sign that Android allows full API access with user permission, but Microsoft won't allow full API access regardless of user permissions?  I don't see how this model can allow WinRT to replace Win32, etc.

The thing that confuses me is that you can't create an approvable app for the only allowed App Store that does interesting things.  Even with user permission.

I love allowed device apps with native output like this:

SSID: XYZ, BSSID: 00:1d:b3:4d:f0:db, capabilities: [WPA-PSK-TKIP+CCMP][WPA2-PSK-TKIP+CCMP-preauth], level: -90, frequency: 2452

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I could find the required  API in WIN RT  could  you kindly look into this below link and confirm us does this work in WIN RT. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.connectivity.networkinformation.getconnectionprofiles.aspx

Cheers,

Girish

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:22 AM