none
How to set VideoProperties.Orientation

Question

• Hi all

I am developing a camera app, and I want to set the orientation properties of video file recorded from different view(Ex: Portrait view)

I have tried MediaCapture.SetRecordRotation, but the result is not what I want.

From my observation, the built-in camera doesn't set the record orientation for different view, instead, it changes the orientation property of video files, so player will know how to display.

So far, I have found that MediaCapture.SetEncoderProperty(MediaStreamType.VideoRecord, Guid("MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION "),PropertyValue)

might be the answer, but i can't make it work.

(information about MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION attribute :http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh162880(v=vs.85).aspx)

Here is the code I've got

enum MFVideoRotationFormat : uint
    {
                MFVideoRotationFormat_0 = 0,
                MFVideoRotationFormat_90 = 90,
                MFVideoRotationFormat_180 = 180,
                MFVideoRotationFormat_270 = 270,
     };

private async startRecord()
    {
    	StorageFile RecordStorageFile= await ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder.CreateFileAsync(VideoFileName, CreationCollisionOption.GenerateUniqueName);

MFVideoRotationFormat mfVidoeRotation=MFVideoRotationFormat.MFVideoRotationFormat_0;

mMediaCaptureMgr.SetEncoderProperty(MediaStreamType.VideoRecord, new Guid("{C380465D-2271-428C-9B83-ECEA3B4A85C1}"), mfVidoeRotation);

Windows.Media.MediaProperties.MediaEncodingProfile recordProfile = null;

recordProfile = Windows.Media.MediaProperties.MediaEncodingProfile.CreateMp4(Windows.Media.MediaProperties.VideoEncodingQuality.Auto);

await mMediaCaptureMgr.StartRecordToStorageFileAsync(recordProfile, RecordStorageFile);
    }

So, how to make it work, or is there any other ways to set the orientation properties.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It looks like you need to set the orientation property on recordProfile.Video directly.

Can you try this and see if this helps? -

var MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION = new Guid("{C380465D-2271-428C-9B83-ECEA3B4A85C1}");

recordProfile.Video.Properties[MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION] = (UInt32)180;

- Ashish [MSFT]

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi all

I have meet the same  problem.  I have tried  BitmapEncoder but have no idea to decode and encode stream.

I meet System.Exception while I am trying to set System.Video.Orientation property. The error shows that the property is ReadOnly.

the code bellow is what I tried. Is there any thing  I can do?

inputStream = await tempStorageFile.OpenAsync(Windows.Storage.FileAccessMode.Read);

var decoder = await Windows.Graphics.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateAsync(inputStream);

photoStorage = await Windows.Storage.KnownFolders.PicturesLibrary.CreateFileAsync(PHOTO_FILE_NAME, Windows.Storage.CreationCollisionOption.GenerateUniqueName);

outputStream = await photoStorage.OpenAsync(Windows.Storage.FileAccessMode.ReadWrite);

outputStream.Size = 0;

var encoder = await Windows.Graphics.Imaging.BitmapEncoder.CreateForTranscodingAsync(outputStream, decoder);

var properties = new Windows.Graphics.Imaging.BitmapPropertySet();
                    properties.Add("System.Photo.Orientation",
                        new Windows.Graphics.Imaging.BitmapTypedValue(photoRotation, Windows.Foundation.PropertyType.UInt16));

await encoder.BitmapProperties.SetPropertiesAsync(properties);

await encoder.FlushAsync();

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like you need to set the orientation property on recordProfile.Video directly.

Can you try this and see if this helps? -

var MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION = new Guid("{C380465D-2271-428C-9B83-ECEA3B4A85C1}");

recordProfile.Video.Properties[MF_MT_VIDEO_ROTATION] = (UInt32)180;

- Ashish [MSFT]

Ashish Sahu [MSFT]

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:56 PM