none
Windows RT vs Windows 8 Metro

Question

• I am a bit confused about the SURFACE announcement today in that the consumer version is going to be running on RT.  I have been devoting time to get up to speed on Windows 8, now a major monkey wrench is thrown in.  How will we know if applications we develop will run on the consumer device?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:41 AM

Answers

• Below are some of the new technical words from Microsoft

Windows 8 is an operating system, the successor to Windows 7.  There are numerous ways to create applications for Windows 8, and in fact there are now two classes of applications: Metro Style Applications and Desktop Applications.

Metro Style Applications are immersive, chrome-less and distinctive in appearance.  There is much to say about what goes into Metro-style (one word? hyphenated? two words?) applications but what is clear is that they are built on top of WinRT and are distinguishable from Desktop Apps.

Metro is a design style, originated for Windows Phone and now carried over to Metro Style applications on Windows 8

WinRT is like modern Win32. It is a Object Oriented replacement for Win32. WinRT is a set of APIs used to create Metro Style applications that will run on Windows 8.  WINRT supports development in C++, C#, VB.NET and Javascript.  WinRT itself is an unmanaged native API (giving excellent performance) on top of which managed applications can be written in C/C++ and C#/VB.NET and unmanaged applications can be written in JavaScript. Some elements of the WinRT API will be available to Desktop applications as well as Metro apps.

Windows 8 RT is the version or variant of Windows 8 that will run on arm processors.

Windows 8 isn't Metro UI or Metro UI isn't Windows 8 either.

Desktop Applications are exactly the type of applications that were built for Win7 and, in fact, Win7 applications will continue to run on Win 8.

For indepth information, see the details at http://kishore1021.wordpress.com/

Never be afraid to try something new.Remember, amateurs built the ark.Professionals built the Titani

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Never mind

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• I don't even know the difference between Windows 8 Metro with Windows RT. hahaha.

Can you share ?

You probably meant Desktop app in WIndows 8 with Metro App in Windows 8 ?

I believe that Windows RT = Windows 8 Metro app, while Windows Desktop App in Windows 8 =  Desktop program (nothing changed).

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Gerald Lanphear. I think you're confusing Windows RT != Windows 8. I believed Windows RT == Windows 8 on Tablet. And Metro apps CAN works on PC, Tablet, SmartPhone, and probably Xbox. But Desktop app only run on Windows 8 PC and probably Windows RT, but since you and me are on javascript forum, that must means Metro app only.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:53 AM
  • i checked wikipedia and surfing the web.

And yes, Windows RT === Windows 8 on Tablet. Which means it runs Metro app, but Windows RT will run Desktop app too.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:56 AM
  • I didn't get emotional. Gerard Lanphear, i develop for Android and Blackberry. I'm not a microsoft only guy, i was simply trying to make a "figure of speech". Forget it. Just to make it clear, i did not get angry or "emo".

http://www.howtogeek.com/116637/htg-explains-what-is-windows-rt-what-does-it-mean-to-me/

^ Windows 8 on TABLET === Windows Metro apps will works === Windows RT

You can run Metro apps on Tablet. I don't know how to make it clearer,

1. You can run Metro app on Windows RT (windows 8 on Tablet),

2. You can develop Metro app using javascript, but you can NOT make desktop app using javascript.

And since we both are in Metro app forum for javascript, and you're asking " I have been devoting time to get up to speed on Windows 8, now a major monkey wrench is thrown in.  How will we know if applications we develop will run on the consumer device?"

The answer is:

1. Your metro app WILL RUN on Windows RT (windows 8 on Tablet), because you're using javascript to create metro app, not desktop app. You can not create desktop app using javascript.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hope it helps you ?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:49 AM
  • "In other words, where is the windows RT development preview?" <-- you said

the answer is = Visual Studio 2012 + windows 8 Release Preview.

I believe it's on the Getting started documentation.

Hope it helps ?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:57 AM
  • Never mind

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:15 AM
  • Dude, no offense, but you won't find other answer here other than :

1. Windows RT === Windows 8 on Tablet. Runs Metro app,

2. The tools you need === Visual Studio 2012 + emulator.

You don't have to believe me, you can asks microsoft employee that are available here. If i give wrong information or i have offended you, then sorry.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Don't be confused.
    Windows 8 is targeted to run on ARM Processors and Intel Processors.
    Meaning that it will target whatever hardware built on ARM and whatever hardware built on Intel.
    ARM cores are mostly known to work nicely on battery life and have many other features for mobile devices that most hardware vendors are taking advantage right now, in the other hand Intel Processors are more commonly known in the filed of desktop computing and they are making a strong effort to run and compete on mobile hardware.

Windows surface tablet runs two versions of windows 8, one built for the ARM processor, and one built for the i5 Intel processor.
    Legacy Windows Desktop Software runs perfectly in intel processors, so they removed desktop functionality on Windows RT ARM devices.
    Windows 8 Pro will run desktop as it runs a desktop version on windows and runs on a familiar processor and high performing hardware.

If you develop winRT apps for metro on any platform: say (C# / XAML), (HTML5, Javascript, CSS), or plain C++.
    You'll get your app to run everywere.

if you target your app for desktop, (like I imagine companies like adobe creative suite or similars will do) you might only run it on desktop enabled intel machines.

I guess that you can start building for metro first and then create desktop versions if needed.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211386.aspx

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-surface-tablets-the-differences-between-rt-and-window/

If your app is good enough in metro, you can forget building for desktop.

j.m.

• Edited by Zirdam Friday, July 06, 2012 1:23 AM
    Friday, July 06, 2012 12:59 AM
  • I also find the name Windows RT for the ARM powered Windows Devices highly confusing. Windows RT is the Windows Runtime for me. The devices should have the name Windows OA (on ARM) or just Windows ARM.

Beside that, they should have not rebranded "Surface". For me, the Surface is the table because "Surface" implied that its more than just a touch device (which the Windows Surface tablet now is) and could handle/identify/interact with objects laying on top of its "surface". Windows Tablet was to simple, eh?

Friday, July 06, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Below are some of the new technical words from Microsoft

Windows 8 is an operating system, the successor to Windows 7.  There are numerous ways to create applications for Windows 8, and in fact there are now two classes of applications: Metro Style Applications and Desktop Applications.

Metro Style Applications are immersive, chrome-less and distinctive in appearance.  There is much to say about what goes into Metro-style (one word? hyphenated? two words?) applications but what is clear is that they are built on top of WinRT and are distinguishable from Desktop Apps.

Metro is a design style, originated for Windows Phone and now carried over to Metro Style applications on Windows 8

WinRT is like modern Win32. It is a Object Oriented replacement for Win32. WinRT is a set of APIs used to create Metro Style applications that will run on Windows 8.  WINRT supports development in C++, C#, VB.NET and Javascript.  WinRT itself is an unmanaged native API (giving excellent performance) on top of which managed applications can be written in C/C++ and C#/VB.NET and unmanaged applications can be written in JavaScript. Some elements of the WinRT API will be available to Desktop applications as well as Metro apps.

Windows 8 RT is the version or variant of Windows 8 that will run on arm processors.

Windows 8 isn't Metro UI or Metro UI isn't Windows 8 either.

Desktop Applications are exactly the type of applications that were built for Win7 and, in fact, Win7 applications will continue to run on Win 8.

For indepth information, see the details at http://kishore1021.wordpress.com/

Never be afraid to try something new.Remember, amateurs built the ark.Professionals built the Titani

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Windows 8 RT is the version or variant of Windows 8 that will run on arm processors.

I still don't get what the "RT" stands for? Why not just Windows 8 ARM? Its to easily confused with WinRT in discussions.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:38 AM
  • Windows 8 RT is the version or variant of Windows 8 that will run on arm processors.

I still don't get what the "RT" stands for? Why not just Windows 8 ARM? Its to easily confused with WinRT in discussions.

With long product names like "Microsoft System Center 2012 Cloud & Datacenter Management"...it's refreshing to have short ones like "Windows 8 RT", even if they don't make sense :)
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Still, what does "Windows 8 RT" mean?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:40 PM
  • RT stands for RunTime

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Microsoft sometimes goes with 2 character names like Windows XP, Windows ME, etc.. Similarly, It's now Windows 8 RT which stand for windows 8 RunTime

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 11:57 AM
  • I don't think so. It would make no sense, to name one Surface "Windows 8 Pro" and the other "Windows 8 Runtime". Even more so, when the API is called WinRT. Why not call the tablet "Windows OA" as in "On ARM"? As a programmer its just confusing to have a table with the same name as an API.
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:05 PM
  • well, am sure Microsoft has thought of all other possible names and finally came up with Windows 8 RT and you have to live with it. I thought you were asking what RT stands for. If your question is why RT and not some other names like "OA", then you need to post the question to a different forum.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Which forum you suggest?
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:55 PM