none
How do I resolve compiler error for driver: error : Driver Deployment Task Failed: Driver Install

Question

• I'll start by admitting I'm a noob at writing Kernel Mode Software-Only Drivers.  With that said:

I'm now getting a compilation error for my driver when I use Visual Studio 2011 to build and deploy the driver to the configured remote box.  The error I get is:

error : Driver Deployment Task Failed: Driver Install

When I watch the cmd windows that display on the remote box as VS is attempting to deploy the driver, one output does display the following error:

----------------------------------------------------

Executing command line: "C:\DriverTest\DevCon.exe"

Process Exit code: 3

Exit Code does NOT match a valid passing exit code

The system cannot find the path specified.

Failed: Process failed to complete successfully

EndGroup: DriverTestTasks::_RunProcess [Failed]

Non-passing Tests:

DriverTestTask::_RunProcess [Failed]

-----------------------------------------------------

My question is How can I get more information (Verbose mode?) with respect to what exactly is failing?

Now, I do know what I had change which is causing the error, I just don't know why.  What I changed was, in the .INF file I ORIGINALLY had:

---- ORIGINAL ---- (slight change in names to protect client)

[Manufacturer]
    %ManufacturerName%=Standard,NT$ARCH$

[Standard.NT$ARCH$]
    %MyDevice.DeviceDesc% = MyDevice_Device, Root\SysInfo

---- ERROR ---- [Manufacturer]
    %ManufacturerName%=Standard,NT$ARCH$

[Standard.NT$ARCH$]
    %MyDevice.DeviceDesc% = MyDevice_Device, Root\WdfBasic  <<--- Changed per Reference docs to indicate this is a Software-Only Driver

I feel pretty darn confident the above is because I still don't understand that well. i.e. Why can I set the Hardware ID to root\SysInfo - something I made up - and the build and deploy works fine, but can't change it with causing an error?  I've tried existing ID's as well as other "fake" names and I get the referenced error.  Hence my question on is there a way I can diagnose the issue in more detail. 

THANKS in advance for any help!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:46 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I forgot to reply to close this specific question at this time.  Our approach is pending, based on direct conversations with Microsoft, specifically: support for Kernel Mode / Software-Only driver communications from Metro apps.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:40 PM

All replies

• fsleeper,

Which sample are you starting from?  What si the name of your driver?   Devcon is a test that runs on your driver after the driver installs.  The failure occurred before the error in Devcon.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:28 AM
  • This isn't based on an existing sample.  All I did was, using KMDF, create a shell driver, add a simple IOCTL command that is filling out a trivial structure containing a single int member.  In the driver it is simply setting the member to 999.  (i.e. The smallest test I could think of to work out issues with deployment, etc.  and easy to prove the driver works in desktop - almost completely "out of the box" via the MS provided KMDF template.)

I named the project SysInfo and it compiled, deployed and tested fine (with the Hardware ID set to root\SysInfo).  Now I'm trying to work thru step by step evolution of the driver (such as trying to change the Hardware ID, etc.).  I obviously don't understand the Hardware ID relationship vs the MS deployment/verification step of: DriverTestTask::_RunProcess.  Again, I'm struggling thru the docs and samples related - which are so far all related to a very specific Hardware ID - whereas I'm trying to work out a driver that is not related to a specific hardware item (hence reason I tried to use Root\WdfBasic per the docs I've seen).

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:56 AM
  • fsleeper,

What do you want the software only driver to do?  

Best Wishes - Eric 

Friday, March 30, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Sorry, I forgot to reply to close this specific question at this time.  Our approach is pending, based on direct conversations with Microsoft, specifically: support for Kernel Mode / Software-Only driver communications from Metro apps.
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:40 PM