none
Why my own DMR can not be listed in the Playto panel?

Question

• I write a metro app which can play local media file and using system playto function to stream media to othor devices.

I find that only the media player can show in the Playto panel,  can not find any othor DMR(I have already add the device from control panel).

1)Are there any requirements for the DMR to show in the Playto panel?

2)How can we identify which DMR can be listed in the Playto panel?

3)is there a system API that we can use to get  the DMR  list supporting playto?

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Only the below list of Play To receivers are supported in the Developer Preview. For scenario testing/validation from apps the easiest solution is to use Windows Media Player on another PC on the same Private Network. Other available devices are:
    · WD Live Hub (firmware version: 2.07.17)
    · Onkyo AV Receivers (Windows 7 Certified models)
    · Windows Media Player (on Windows 7 and the Windows Developer Preview)
    · Metro style apps with Play To Receiver functionality      

also see my blogpost on this here

http://www.sharpgis.net/post/2011/12/11/Make-your-Windows-8-Video-App-use-the-PlayTo-feature.aspx

Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Now the Consumer Preview has been released, has the supported list of Play To receivers been expanded?  Can you also explain why if they work within the Desktop Explorer Play To they wouldn't appear under the Devices Charm?

Thanks.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:50 AM
  • Only the below list of Play To receivers are supported in the Developer Preview. For scenario testing/validation from apps the easiest solution is to use Windows Media Player on another PC on the same Private Network. Other available devices are:
    · WD Live Hub (firmware version: 2.07.17)
    · Onkyo AV Receivers (Windows 7 Certified models)
    · Windows Media Player (on Windows 7 and the Windows Developer Preview)
    · Metro style apps with Play To Receiver functionality      

also see my blogpost on this here

http://www.sharpgis.net/post/2011/12/11/Make-your-Windows-8-Video-App-use-the-PlayTo-feature.aspx

I have tried to make a Metro style app with Play To Receiver functionality work as a DMR, but it doesn't seem to work. I did get it to work as a DMR for images that the iMediaShare app on iPad sends. the iPad app correctly sees my Metro Style PlayToReceiver app and sends images to it. However, when it tries to send video or audio, it doesn't work. I have registered the playto receiver as support video and audio as well as images.

When I setup Windows Media Player as a playto receiver, everything works: images, video and audio.  the iPad can send to Windows Media Player just fine.

Oddly, none of the apps that can "PlayTo" on my tablet can see my desktop machine's Metro PlayToReceiver app....its as if the PlayToReceiver won't register as a target point in the devices.  The sample code states that you should try to add the PlayToReceiver software as a device by navigating to the More Settings, Devices and add device...but that doesn't do anything. (See:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/hh967764.aspx)  It can't find it.  Again, the iMediaShare iPad app has no problem finding my Metro PlayToReceiver.

Something fishy is going on here...and I suspect it has something to do with the Windows 8 Release Preview being borked.  Has anyone successfully created a Metro Style PlayToReceiver that really works?

• Edited by mobiletony Monday, August 06, 2012 1:00 AM
    Monday, August 06, 2012 12:57 AM