none
Windows 8 registry entry for start menu

Question

•  I have an start menu entry placed under this path on Win8 only. 

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SCH

Does anyone have an idea what this registry meant for ?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi mkr23,

Can you please advise if you are creating a Metro App. The reason I ask is that Metro Style developers do not need write installers or uninstallers, as this is handled by the appx paclage process and not by the developer. Are you writing a Desktop app. If so then you might be better posting to either to the desktop Development Forums

Thanks

• Edited by mark_1h Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roberts_EModerator Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi mkr23,

I have checked my own machine to see if I had the same registry keys, but don't. Can you provide us with more information on the Start menu item you are seeing. Is this for an app that appears in the Windows Store, or something you have installed.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by nijoleva Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for the reply mark !

I am installing an application we designed. I found the shortcut paths of My application in the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC with values pointing to the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My application and the original installed path of My Application. As part of the installer we make sure these shortcuts are deleted during uninstall of the application. After the application is uninstalled, verified that the shortcuts don't exist in the paths, but these registries are left over in the UFH\SHC.  Am trying to make sense of these entries. I have also found entries from other applications like WinZip, Nvidia etc under the \UFH\SHC path..

mk23

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Hi mkr23,

Can you please advise if you are creating a Metro App. The reason I ask is that Metro Style developers do not need write installers or uninstallers, as this is handled by the appx paclage process and not by the developer. Are you writing a Desktop app. If so then you might be better posting to either to the desktop Development Forums

Thanks

• Edited by mark_1h Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Roberts_EModerator Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:03 PM
  • This is not a metro style app. yes, it is a desktop application, which was designed to support Win7, we are testing on Win8 OS, that's where I ran across this reg entry. Thanks for your input.

mk23

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:44 PM
  • I am looking at the same things myself.

But I find them under HKCU not HKLM.

I see desktop app entries here that have registered themselves with the Modern Start Screen.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:30 PM