none
Unable to activate windows 8 on test machine

Question

• Hi,

I've just put a new installation of Windows 8 (Enterprise N 64-bit) on my test machine. The installation seems to have gone fine, but I can't seem to activate Windows.

When I go to "Activate Windows" in PC Settings it states "Windows can't activate at the moment. Try activating windows later. If this issue persists, contact your system administrator or technical support department for assistance".

At no point have I yet been asked to enter a serial key.

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Chris ,

This is known issue . To solve ;

You will need an elevated Command Prompt:

slmgr.vbs –ipk "ENTER-YOUR-PRODUCT-KEY-HERE"

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hello Chris ,

This is known issue . To solve ;

You will need an elevated Command Prompt:

slmgr.vbs –ipk "ENTER-YOUR-PRODUCT-KEY-HERE"

Sincerely,

Murat Demirkiran

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language) Please note that I'm not a Microsoft Representative or SpokesPerson.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Best answer ever, but note, once the install is finished I have found this will only work once I have manually done the initial substantial updates. Otherwise I'm told I need administrator privileges, which I have on setup (!?). Once updated this command works.

Thanks...

Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:55 AM