none
Visual Studio 2011 Beta XAML designer not opening giving Access is denied

Dotaz

• I was able to create a project in VS 2011 and even able to reference and call a web service to get my data but when I started to design my metro UI boom! This is when there are no controls yet, just the default BlankPage which I renamed to and the class too to MainPage

System.UnauthorizedAccessException

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.DirectInvoke[T](WaitHandle abort, Func`1 func)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.MarshalOut[TResult,TValue](RemoteHandle`1 targetObject, Func`1 func)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.MarshalOut[TResult,TValue](RemoteHandle`1 targetObject, Func`2 func)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IDesignerService.CreateDesigner(IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateDesignerViewInfo(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationTokenSource cancelSource)

Server stack trace:    at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.CallQueue.WaitForCompletion(BlockingCall call)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.CallQueue.Invoke(BlockingCall call)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.CallQueue.Invoke[T](Func`1 func, WaitHandle aborted)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.MarshalIn[TResult](IRemoteObject targetObject, Func`1 func)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.IRemoteDesignerService.CreateDesigner(IRemoteHostSourceItem remoteItem, IRemoteHostTextEditor remoteEditor)   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Object[]& outArgs)   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.IRemoteDesignerService.CreateDesigner(IRemoteHostSourceItem remoteItem, IRemoteHostTextEditor remoteEditor)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.LocalDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass8.<Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IDesignerService.CreateDesigner>b__7(IRemoteDesignerService d)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.<>c__DisplayClass4`2.<MarshalOut>b__3()   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.DirectInvoke[T](WaitHandle abort, Func`1 func)

at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD)   at Windows.Storage.StorageFile.GetFileFromPathAsync(String path)   at Microsoft.Expression.WindowsXamlPlatform.Host.RuntimeResourceManager.GetStorageFileForPath(String indexPath)   at Microsoft.Expression.WindowsXamlPlatform.Host.RuntimeResourceManager.ProcessIndexUpdates()   at Microsoft.Expression.WindowsXamlPlatform.Host.RuntimeResourceManager.OnNewIndex(String newFileName, String newResourceMapName)   at Microsoft.Expression.WindowsXamlPlatform.Host.HostServices.OnResourceIndexUpdated(HostResourceIndexUpdatedEventArgs args)   at Microsoft.Expression.WindowsXamlPlatform.Host.WindowsUIXamlResourceIndexProvider.OnResourceIndexUpdated(EventArgs args)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignSurface.DesignerService.CreateDesigner(IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor)   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.RemoteDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass9.<Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.IRemoteDesignerService.CreateDesigner>b__8()   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.CallQueue.<>c__DisplayClassa`1.<Invoke>b__9()   at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.CallQueue.Call.Invoke()

This thing is useless. Why do you release even a Beta software when the out-of-box Metro style BlankPage.xaml does not open in the designer.

I mean I reinstalled VS 2011 Beta in the repair mode and then just created a new C# metrostyle blank project and tried opening the BlankPage.xaml in the designer and I get this error. Can't proceed. It is just disappointing.

-Kasim

-Kasim

• Přesunutý lucy-liu 9. března 2012 8:52 it is a metro issue (From:Visual Studio Editor)
    7. března 2012 16:48

Odpovědi

• Okay I think I have figured out the cause but don't have a solution. This happens as soon as I add my computer to my company's domain and then no matter what user ID I use whether my Live ID, local ID or domain ID the designer doe not open. Looks like it is some bug in the Visual Studio11.

WORKAROUND: After installing Windows 8 and VS 2011 with a local account or Live ID, connect your computer to a direct hard-wired internet  connection (not through LAN of your company). Run VS 2011 and get your developer license for this computer. Then plug off your computer from the internet connection and instead plug in the network cable of your company. Provide your network credentials and proxy info when you want to connect to internet. The advantage now is that you can also connect to web services on your network that are behind the DMZ and the designer works too :)

-Kasim

• Označen jako odpověď sskasim 7. května 2012 15:56
    7. května 2012 15:55

Všechny reakce

• Hi sskasim,
    This is a metro issue, in order to give you a better support, I will move it to “Tools for Metro style apps” forum.
    Thank you for your understanding!

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

9. března 2012 8:50
  • Could you try the following work-around and reply if it helped to unblock you or not.

http://blendinsider.com/xaml/known-issue-xaml-designer-in-visual-studio-11-beta-crashes-on-launch-2012-03-07/

Sheldon

9. března 2012 17:05
  • Nope, It does not work.

-Kasim

12. března 2012 14:41
  • Are you able to open Metro apps?
    12. března 2012 17:39
  • I am able to open and run the apps but the designer gives this error. I have now formatted my partition and did a fresh install of Win8 and added my computer to the domain and then using the internet access I got I installed VS2011. I am logged in to Win8 and VS2011 as "MyDomain\UserId" but when I first ran VS it asked me to get a Dev License for which I used my MS Live ID and I got the Dev license successfully. I try opening a xaml file in the designer and boom Access denied. I hit F5 I see the app run! I have no choice but to give up now and wait. Disappointed.

-Kasim

21. března 2012 14:28
  • Would you be able to capture a procmon log then zip and email it to us to investigate this further? This is an issue we have yet to reproduce. My email is DavidLam AT Microsoft DOT com.

Thanks!

David Lamb

22. března 2012 20:12
    Moderátor
  • Hi Kasim,

Sorry fo this issue and thanks for reporting it. We'd like to investigate the issue but will need some more info.

1. What is the install location of VS

2. What OS are you on (i.e. language, x86/x64)

3. What language is VS

4. Does turning off Windows Firewall fix the designer load issue for you (this is just a hunch based on some other threads I have seen ceop up recently)

Again thanks for taking the time to try the Beta and report the issues you are seeing!

You can also get in touch with me directly at jeetenk at microsoft dot com.

Thanks!

Jeetendra Kukreja, Microsoft Expression. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

24. března 2012 2:52
  • One additional item is the location where you are creating your project i.e. local drive or network location. If local drive then which folder. Thanks!

Jeetendra Kukreja, Microsoft Expression. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

24. března 2012 3:03
  • Hi,

I have the same issue. Probably it's started to crash when I reference Bing Maps on my projects. Now, I removed the reference and don't fix the problem.

any solutions?

The installation is default on a Windows 8 on English.

Alberto Diaz Martin twitter://@adiazcan | http://geeks.ms/blogs/adiazmartin | MVP SharePoint Server

10. dubna 2012 11:26
  • Okay I think I have figured out the cause but don't have a solution. This happens as soon as I add my computer to my company's domain and then no matter what user ID I use whether my Live ID, local ID or domain ID the designer doe not open. Looks like it is some bug in the Visual Studio11.

WORKAROUND: After installing Windows 8 and VS 2011 with a local account or Live ID, connect your computer to a direct hard-wired internet  connection (not through LAN of your company). Run VS 2011 and get your developer license for this computer. Then plug off your computer from the internet connection and instead plug in the network cable of your company. Provide your network credentials and proxy info when you want to connect to internet. The advantage now is that you can also connect to web services on your network that are behind the DMZ and the designer works too :)

-Kasim

• Označen jako odpověď sskasim 7. května 2012 15:56
    7. května 2012 15:55