Upgrade from Windows 7 can cause the “We couldn’t get your developer license” error

Dotaz

•  

We have discovered an issue that prevents developers from acquiring a developer license.  The error message received after signing in with LiveID is:

“We couldn’t get your developer license for Windows 8 Consumer Preview.  Please check your network connection and try again.”

This issue occurs after performing an upgrade from Windows 7 and preserving Apps and Settings.

A Hotfix is now available:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687198

You cannot obtain a developer license when you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Consumer Preview

(Thanks Dan Reagan for getting the info to us)

7. března 2012 19:18
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

•  thanks for your information. ı hope it will   work after ı reinstall   

<(+)>--C#_WPF_SİLVERLİGHT_XBAP_HTML--<(+)>

8. března 2012 1:27
  • yess  its work great thx Mıke wong

<(+)>--C#_WPF_SİLVERLİGHT_XBAP_HTML--<(+)>

8. března 2012 7:40
  • While this is a viable work around, so is installing a Hyper-V instance of Windows 8.  While I can appreciate the issues Microsoft needs to wade through I seriously hope that this work around is only a temporary kludge.  Obviously the purpose of this preview (Windows 8) and the Beta (Visual Studio 11) is to provide an early look but also a chance for Microsoft to work out their issues.

With that said please don't tell me that you can actually find this acceptable on any level other than a work around until a fix is done.

R. K. Walters

8. března 2012 12:21
  • Works if we perform a Clean Installation of Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Worked in my laptop. Something wrong with Upgrade [Only].

Sivarama Krishnan (kvsrkrishnan)

8. března 2012 15:25
  • You chose to keep Apps, Settings and Files.. You got this error. How about Clean Install;
    8. března 2012 15:27
  • Sivarama,

That's not my experience with a Clean Install of Win8 CP

Charles S. Cotton

8. března 2012 15:33
  • whats the solution for this problem....and how can i uninstall windows 8
    10. března 2012 9:22
  • I bought a TouchSmart 520 Desktop to try Win 8 consumer preview. I Installed Win 8, but couldn't install touchsmart driver, so, wiped out the part. and installed Win 7, upgraded to Win 8 Consumer preview from within Win 7 with a ISO image, used below Key, and Touch is working fine. Win 8 is really nice now compared to dev previw.

Now, I've installed VS 2011 Beta on it, now I get below error. Not able to deploy/run Metro App. Not sure what's the issue here.

When I run the Metro App I get message saying it needs to get/renew the dev license, then I get below error;

[Window Title]
    Developer License

[Main Instruction]
    We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[Content]
    Please check your network connection and try again.

[Retry] [Close]

And in VS 2011 Beta error window I get below 2 errors;

Error 2 Deployment of package 91acf9dd-243a-4c7f-a428-78a1e85cecf6_1.0.0.0_neutral__agtam8yy7wpv6 [Package

Full Name] failed because no valid license or sideloading policy could be applied. A developer license

(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=233074) or enterprise sideloading configuration

(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=231020) may be required. MetroApplication1

Error 1 Error : DEP0730 : Registration of the application failed because no Developer License is installed

on the target machine. MetroApplication1

pls let know how to resolve the same....!

Jini Shans

12. března 2012 1:57
  • Do you think I can get the license on a different machine and then move it on the upgraded one? It is rather annoying to have to reinstall.

Thanks

13. března 2012 19:58
  • If this would work, I'd gladly make a backup of my current setup, do a clean install of windows and VS, grab the license, restore everything and copy the license.  Does anyone know where the license lives?
    14. března 2012 11:03
  • This will hurt the adoption of Windows 8 among developers.(Most developers will chose to upgrade)

please provide a fix for this issue .

Regards

15. března 2012 4:23
  • Hi,

I am also facing the similar error -  

[Window Title]
    Developer License

[Main Instruction]
    We couldn't get your developer license for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

[Content]
    Please check your network connection and try again.

[Retry] [Close]

I have tried using the PowerShell cmdlets also, but get the same error. I have been working with the Win 8 developer version + VS 2011 (dev version) earlier for a month now. All was fine but as soon as we have installed the Consumer preview win 8 version + the VS 2011 beta version, I am not able to complete the Metro application I have been working on. I hope Microsoft provides a solution for this issue soon.

Thanks,
    Vivek Bahl

vivekbahl

15. března 2012 8:28
  • Reinstalling Windows 8 and losing all my applications is not an option for me. Is there an ETA on the fix for this developer license issue?
    17. března 2012 3:03
  • 10 days and no further communication is truly pathetic.  Again I want to emphasize this is not a solution, not even close.  It is a poor work around that needs to be fixed and some communication, even every few days would go along way to stemming a lot of the frustration that is being build up. 

R. K. Walters

17. března 2012 12:30
  • Reinstalling Windows 8 and losing all my applications is not an option for me. Is there an ETA on the fix for this developer license issue?

18. března 2012 22:14
  • Hi Mike,

Any news so far? Is it possible to get it working without playing with install/reinstall of windows/studio?

BTW in my case it can be caused by a problem that IE10 works there but nothing else works via network. I have asked this question on separate forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/win8-no-connections-are-available/457c495c-e522-474c-bf83-c29e0bf31e61

Thanks!
    --Vladimir

19. března 2012 11:43
  • Microsoft Folks, no update on this yet? I'm counting about three weeks now on this and quite a few potential Win8 developers twiddling their thumbs. Not a good way to build momentum or confidence, guys!
    19. března 2012 20:37
  • This is what has worked for me.

1. Create a new account/user on windows 8 and login through that

2. Don't install VS11 using this account.

3. Open Power shell ISE - Make sure you run this in Admin mode.

4. Run this command "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration". It will prompt for windows Live id

5. Use your live id and get the developerLicese.

6. Now switch back to the login ID using which you have installed VS11 and start building metro apps.

Arsh

20. března 2012 7:42
  • This is what has worked for me.

1. Create a new account/user on windows 8 and login through that

2. Don't install VS11 using this account.

3. Open Power shell ISE - Make sure you run this in Admin mode.

4. Run this command "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration". It will prompt for windows Live id

5. Use your live id and get the developerLicese.

6. Now switch back to the login ID using which you have installed VS11 and start building metro apps.

Arsh

Tried this out and it didn't work for me, even uninstalled Visual Studio completely.
    20. března 2012 8:44
  • Tried this out and it didn't work for me, even uninstalled Visual Studio completely.

Didn't work for me either, unfortunately.

I can understand a beta release like VS11 having glitches, but the complete lack of communication on MS's part is frustrating.

I'd like to know: is this actually being worked on? When can we expect a fix for it?
    20. března 2012 9:20
  • I Installed VS11 using local account and got the developer license after logging using domain account. You can also give it a try.

Arsh

20. března 2012 10:54
  • Hello,

a hotfix is now available for this issue

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687198

You cannot obtain a developer license when you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Thanks for the patience!

mike

20. března 2012 22:31
    Moderátor
  • This works, thank you!  Just a word here if or when there is a next time a bit more communication would help keep feathers un-ruffled.

R. K. Walters

20. března 2012 23:55
  • Great! I'm glad that this has been fixed. Next time though, a bit more information would be useful ;).

Also, I found that KB page kind of confusing since the update it talks about did not show up. However, when I loaded VS11 it obtained a dev license fine.

21. března 2012 10:25
  • Sorry, but the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687198 does not contain the update???  I followed each step and found only one optional update visible on my PC and that was a Qualcomm Wireless update and that did not fix this issue.  I went ahead and tried to install that (it failed) and rebooted.  Same error.

Most updates contain a link to a file to download to implement the update.  This one does not.  What am I missing????

• Upravený rkilgore 25. března 2012 7:07
    25. března 2012 7:05
  • for some reason the patch did not show on "windows update" to be ready for installation on my system.. very odd

but, I ran "windows Update" , and re-started my PC after that. after that I was able to obtain the Developers License...

Everything is fine now..

25. března 2012 18:45
  • Already tried the "windows update" and hard boot with no success.   What technique did you use to obtain the license.  I've been responding to the prompt as I load sample projects in VS11.

The instructions in the upate specifically point to the need to "Install Other Updates" as if there will be something in that list.  I doubt that something is automatically added to my machines simply by going to the link cited above.  Something is missing in that link!

I am unable to run any of the XAML samples in VS11 without this Developer License.  Mike, if you are still monitoring, please advise.

26. března 2012 1:47
  • Hello,

When i saw that Microsoft had released a patch to fix this issue, i quickly went to Windows Update..  but the new patch did not show there, so I tried to find a way to "force the  installation of it" .. but there was no link to download just that patch. then clicked on "Check for Updates" but nothing showed up. then I opened  Visual Studio 11, the registration went fine this time.

this is what I did

1-Re-start my PC and make sure all visual studios (10 and 11) are not running
    2-go to Windows update.
    3-click "Check for updates" several times
    4-Re-Start the PC
    5-Open Visual Studio 11, create a new Metro XAML project,
    6-The registration went fine

Regards
    26. března 2012 14:45
  • Thanks Oscar - glad it worked for you (and hopefully others), but those steps have not solved the issue for me. 

UPDATE - I did find the hotfix in the list of installed updates.  It has not corrected the problem.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the hotfix with no change.

When I try to open a sample VB example or new one, I am prompted to obtain Developers License and get the same error.  What am I missing?  Do I need to reinstall VS 11?  Do I need to reinstall W8?  Is there somewhere else I need to go first to obtain the Developers License before opening VS11?

• Upravený rkilgore 30. března 2012 7:00
    26. března 2012 15:43
  • Hi.

I'm having the same problem. I'm working on Windows 8 developers preview (I develop a metro style application and at the moment can't migrate to consumers preview).

I had to reinstall Windows because another problem I experienced and now every time I open Visual studio I receive this message :
    "visual studio 11 could not obtain the license due to error 80090317"

the suggested solutions are not working for me because I'm working on the Developers preview. anyone can help?

Thanks.

Hadass

9. dubna 2012 7:42
  • I am having the same issue here, release date for the fix soon?
    14. dubna 2012 8:14
  • I had the same problem today. The hotfix was already installed a few days ago. After reading this thread I got it working by doing the following:

1. I created a new temporary user.

2. I switched to the new temporary user. (Go to Start screen, click on your name/avator, click on new username in drop down box, and enter password.)

3. As the new user I open Visual Studio 11 Beta.

4. I created a new Metro project. When asked to acquire a new license I logged on with my Microsoft Account and received no error message. (I also had to enter the password for my normal account in the UAG prompt.)

5. I logged off and switched back to my normal user account.

6. I opened Visual Studio and my Metro project and ran it without problems.

7. I disabled my temporary user. (I might need it again when the license expires.)

I think the problems with user accounts created under Windows 7. It could also be profile issue, so deleting your user profile could also remidy this. Although this may not be a popular choice. Using a Microsoft account to log on Windows 8 might also not be affected since those accounts cannot be used on Windows 7 and lower Windows versions. Also accounts with roaming profiles previously used on Windows 7 or lower versions may be affected.

• Upravený Arjen Krap 18. dubna 2012 9:48 Rephrasing text
    18. dubna 2012 9:47
  • Is this solution for developer preview or consumer preview?

LA

18. dubna 2012 19:43
  • Consumer preview.
    18. dubna 2012 19:48
  • I am running on a clean build of Windows 8 Developer Preview on a cleanly formatted HDD. Out of the box.

It didn't have Internet access at first and so I just created a local account.

I tried to get the licence using that account and it failed. I added my live account to it and logged in again. Tried it. Got the sms on my phone about the activation of the license. Activated it in live. Still doesn't work.

Do I need to completely rebuild the thing and start again with a live id? Don't mind but do I need to delete the developer licence in my live account before the rebuild or do I just use the same machine name again (I know that wouldn't work if you are using SIDs or hardware IDs).

25. dubna 2012 6:28
  • Hi, 

The problem happened to me few days ago, when VS11 require to renew license for the second time. (I had been using consumer preview and VS11 when they first released a while go).

I tried the method provided on website "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687198", but there is no optional nor important update related to that issue. So how could I fix it? 

Thank you,

Jerry

9. května 2012 8:09
  • Having same issue, and finally get the developer license with this solution :

1. Sign in Windows as administrator

2. Open Power shell

3. Type command below in Power Shell

Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration

Hope this help....

---------------------------

Samuel Cahyawijaya

10. května 2012 16:32
  • Having the same problem! Your proposal did not help.

Need urgent solution for this stupid problem.

Thanks

10. května 2012 20:04
  • it returns "'Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program of batch file."

Jerry

11. května 2012 2:27
  • Hmmm.... Usually "not recognized as an internal or external command" is because the path is not exist in the environment variable setting.... But, I think it is a Windows default command, so it doesn't exist in environtment variable..... Maybe it comes from the Windows Update....  

Have you tried Windows Update?

11. května 2012 20:03