none
my setup.exe project isnt updated after changing my project code and rebuild the setup for redistrebuting

Întrebare

• Hi 

I have created a setup for my project Named photosorter for my Project named Photoarrange

I have alnuch the exe and setup file it all work good whem installing

The problem is

When i make Changes to the code  and rebuild the code in release mode

Rebuild the setup project  click on the exe file i find that the was produced i see that the softawre installed int the last one u have changed but the previous one (before the code changed)

Remark:when installing the software it recoginze i already have a photosorter doftawre installed and its suggest to repair or remove i click on repair

I have attached two pictures showing

1-my solution (visual studio)

2-and my setup properties

any suggestion?

• Editat de eyal12345 7 aprilie 2012 16:17 low picture quality
    7 aprilie 2012 16:12

Răspunsuri

• Hi eyal12345,
    If you want to build a new version of your product to replace the older, you need to do the following steps:
    First, open the properties windows of the setup project, Increment the version property. Visual Studio will display a message box that prompts you to change the ProductCode. Select yes.
    Second, set the RemovePreviousVersions property to true.
    For more details, see http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/updates-to-setup-projects/.
    It seems that a setup wizard which contains repair and remove options show up when you run the setup.exe.

According to my knowledge, the second time when we execute a setup (.MSI) file, the setup wizard display. Please delete the setup.exe and .msi file before you rebuild the setup project and make sure you are running the new build setup.exe.
    If the issue still not solved, could you please share a demo with us? At least share a screenshot of the setup project’s properties windows.
    Please let us know the result.
    Best Regards,

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marcat ca răspuns de eyal12345 16 aprilie 2012 20:13
    9 aprilie 2012 05:20

Toate mesajele

• Every setup project (MSI file) is associated with the product code and package code(can't be viewed through visual studio). Whenever you install your application, first installer searches for these code in the operating system.  If installer finds the code in the operating system, it initiates the repair. 

To fix the above issue, please change the product code every time you make the changes to your code.

>>It would be better if you uninstall the older project before installing the latest one. 

7 aprilie 2012 23:21
  • still dont see the newer version after installing the new exe file and repair my installation.

the steps i do are :

1-changing my code.

2-clean the project (right click clean on the project root)

3-rebuild the project (release mode)

4-go to the properties setup click on new code on the "product code" propertie

5-rebuild the setup

6 -go to my exe path "C:\Project\Photoarrange\Photosorter\Release" 

7-click on the setup.exe file 

it detects previous version and suggest repair/remove i choose repair after the installation is donr

I cant see the changes made in the code 

8 aprilie 2012 18:15
  • Hi eyal12345,
    If you want to build a new version of your product to replace the older, you need to do the following steps:
    First, open the properties windows of the setup project, Increment the version property. Visual Studio will display a message box that prompts you to change the ProductCode. Select yes.
    Second, set the RemovePreviousVersions property to true.
    For more details, see http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/updates-to-setup-projects/.
    It seems that a setup wizard which contains repair and remove options show up when you run the setup.exe.

According to my knowledge, the second time when we execute a setup (.MSI) file, the setup wizard display. Please delete the setup.exe and .msi file before you rebuild the setup project and make sure you are running the new build setup.exe.
    If the issue still not solved, could you please share a demo with us? At least share a screenshot of the setup project’s properties windows.
    Please let us know the result.
    Best Regards,

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marcat ca răspuns de eyal12345 16 aprilie 2012 20:13
    9 aprilie 2012 05:20
  • If it goies into Repair/Remove then you haven't got it quite right.

See this, still relevant: http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/updates-to-setup-projects/

and increse the file versions of the binaries that need replacing.

Phil Wilson

9 aprilie 2012 21:43