none
Windows Designer Bug when using ConnectionString in user control.

質問

• When adding a user control to a Windows Form, the designer throws the following error. 

"The ConnectionString property has not been initialized."

The control in question contains a DateTimePicker control that reads its value from the database. The control works properly at runtime.  It's just that the designer cannot resolve the connection string at design time and is preventing me from manipulating the control once one the form. 

Ignoring the error just loads the form without the control in the designer view.  This is not helpful. 

Is there a way to suppress this error in the designer?

2008年2月5日 17:41

回答

• No guys, what might really be happening here is the following:

First of all, where is the connection string placed? I suppose it is in a configuration file correct? Possibly App.config...

Well, when you retrieve a connection string that is located in the configuration of the application, say through the ConfigurationManager, this configuration file must reside in the same CodeBase of the Assembly being "executed". And guess what:

When Visual Studio design-time magic begins, every time you drag and drop one of your User controls from the toolbox onto the designer surface, the current IDesignerHost of the IDesigner (or IRootDesigner) attached to your type is actually instantiating your User control type in its CreateComponent(Type) method. In short: this really means that the code (the very binaries, exe or dll's) are being loaded by the CLR upon Visual Studio request (in order to create you controls.) Visual Studio copies these binary files to a private, temporary folder in the Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\ folder of the current user profile. But Visual Studio knows NOTHING about the possible configuration file that might be required for the control library (specially if it's a DLL, since there is no DLL configuration file architecture starndard in .NET -- there is an Application configuration architecture, but not a DLL configuration.) In any case, EXE or DLL, this config file is NOT copied to this temporary location.

If during initialization of your User control, you are directly or indirectly depending on retrieving any information stored in the configuration of the application, say by binding to a data source from a database, for which you have stored the connection string the App.config file. It will obviously work at runtime (assuming the programmer is competent enough) but at design time, this config file does not get copied to the appropriate location by VS, and unless you place your connection string (or any other appSettings) in the machine configuration file, the returned connection string will be empty.

Try the following hint to help you see what I mean:

Inside the contructor of your User control, and after the call to the InitializeComponent() method:

Code Snippet

public Contructor() {
        InitializeComponent();
        MessageBox.Show(this.GetType().Assembly.CodeBase);
    }

Compile, and then drag and drop an instance of this User control type. You will see a message box with the crazy path of the executing assembly, which basically is one the ones you are building.

Damiano: The way that you propose obviously makes sense, as you are aborting any possible error at contruction. That might be perfectly acceptable at desing time, but it didn't explain the underlying factor behind the problem.

Oh, and by the way, it is NOT a bug of the Windows Forms Designer... (although, I could agree with you if what you are blaming is Visual Studio itself...)

2008年2月10日 20:49

すべての返信

• Well, it's better to debug the source code and find out what the actual problem is.

Did you try to hide the exception in the menu "Debug - > Exceptions" ?

Regards,

Jacob
    2008年2月6日 7:53
  • I discovered the same problem, in my case it happened when inside the Cunstructor of my usercontrol I called the Fill method.

I solved by put the Fill inside a try { }  catch { } block.

after that the form with the usercontrol displayed correctly.

I hope you solve your problem too, I lose a day to find this workaround.

2008年2月10日 17:45
  • No guys, what might really be happening here is the following:

First of all, where is the connection string placed? I suppose it is in a configuration file correct? Possibly App.config...

Well, when you retrieve a connection string that is located in the configuration of the application, say through the ConfigurationManager, this configuration file must reside in the same CodeBase of the Assembly being "executed". And guess what:

When Visual Studio design-time magic begins, every time you drag and drop one of your User controls from the toolbox onto the designer surface, the current IDesignerHost of the IDesigner (or IRootDesigner) attached to your type is actually instantiating your User control type in its CreateComponent(Type) method. In short: this really means that the code (the very binaries, exe or dll's) are being loaded by the CLR upon Visual Studio request (in order to create you controls.) Visual Studio copies these binary files to a private, temporary folder in the Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\ folder of the current user profile. But Visual Studio knows NOTHING about the possible configuration file that might be required for the control library (specially if it's a DLL, since there is no DLL configuration file architecture starndard in .NET -- there is an Application configuration architecture, but not a DLL configuration.) In any case, EXE or DLL, this config file is NOT copied to this temporary location.

If during initialization of your User control, you are directly or indirectly depending on retrieving any information stored in the configuration of the application, say by binding to a data source from a database, for which you have stored the connection string the App.config file. It will obviously work at runtime (assuming the programmer is competent enough) but at design time, this config file does not get copied to the appropriate location by VS, and unless you place your connection string (or any other appSettings) in the machine configuration file, the returned connection string will be empty.

Try the following hint to help you see what I mean:

Inside the contructor of your User control, and after the call to the InitializeComponent() method:

Code Snippet

public Contructor() {
        InitializeComponent();
        MessageBox.Show(this.GetType().Assembly.CodeBase);
    }

Compile, and then drag and drop an instance of this User control type. You will see a message box with the crazy path of the executing assembly, which basically is one the ones you are building.

Damiano: The way that you propose obviously makes sense, as you are aborting any possible error at contruction. That might be perfectly acceptable at desing time, but it didn't explain the underlying factor behind the problem.

Oh, and by the way, it is NOT a bug of the Windows Forms Designer... (although, I could agree with you if what you are blaming is Visual Studio itself...)

2008年2月10日 20:49
  • I was able to solve the problem by using the settings file ( "Properties.Settings.Default.ConnectionString")

Is thier any good way to solve the problem? some thing like setting Visual Studio not to run the the code when adding the control?

2008年2月26日 16:11
  • do below:-

create a seperate method in user control and call that directlt after creating the control.

Do not use  con.open in form_load of user control

Sample code :-

ABB.Controls.EditorForm obj = new ABB.Controls.EditorForm();
                obj.editor.initialize(); // editori is instance of user control in form EditorForm
                DialogResult dlgResult = obj.ShowDialog();

-----

public partial class Editor : UserControl, SearchableBrowser
        {

public Editor( )
            {
                InitializeComponent();

}
            public void initialize(){
                OleDbConnection con = new OleDbConnection(Util.DBConnectionString);
                con.Open();

dataSet = new DataSet("ddd");
                DA = new OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT schedule.* FROM  ddd", con);

// Parvez Ahmad www.abobjects.com, bulk mailer

}

2012年2月18日 19:51
  • On the user control ask if you are not in design mode and do the call...  

If Not Me.DesignMode Then
                Me.cmbCountry.DataSource = Business.GenCountryInfoList.GetAll
               'Or any code that uses the connection string        
            End If

• 編集済み yyohan 2012年4月21日 12:47
    2012年4月21日 12:39