none
How to understand why AppLaunch.exe is failing?

Question

• hi everyone,

i'm having ClickOnce deployment which is failed to start. After I double click the application icon on the desktop, I can see new process AppLaunch.exe started and DW20.exe collecting failure information about it. Event Log contains useless message:

EventType clr20r3, P1 applaunch.exe, P2 2.0.50727.3053, P3 4889dc54, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dc80, P7 4f2, P8 0, P9 system.security.security, P10 NIL.

I believe there is something to do with trust levels (manifest specifies full trust), but I'm not sure where to start looking for. if anyone had such experience or knows how to get more error reporting from AppLaunch.exe - please share! ta

P.S. the application starting and working ok if I do it manually from the folder where it is deployed.

S.G.
    Monday, December 07, 2009 12:03 PM

All replies

• Are you running your application as a full trust application?

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    • Proposed as answer by Jing0Moderator Monday, December 14, 2009 7:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jing0Moderator Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sergey Galich Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:23 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:59 AM
  • yep, that was full trust app. the issue has been fixed, i just had to update my certificate.

still there is open question - is it possible to get something useful from AppLaunch.exe? It took some time to figure out that the issue was with certificates, it could have been much easier if we can get some error message from AppLaunch...

S.G.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:23 AM
  • the issue has been fixed, i just had to update my certificate.
    Can you elaborate a little bit on what this means, for those of us who do not have much experience with Visual Studio? How do I "update my certificate"? Where/what is this certificate? 
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Generally, you sign your deployment with a code-signing certificate when publishing it. If you don't look at the signing tab in Visual Studio and you publish a ClickOnce app, it automatically creates a test certificate for you.

If you want to change certificates, you can go to the signing tab and click "create a new test certificate". If you bought a certificate and need to change the one in Visual Studio, it's in the same place, you'd probably "Select From File".

Note that changing the certificate can cause you problems if running prior to .NET 4, and in some cases for .NET 3.5, and all cases in .NET 3.0, and some in .NET 2.0. Here's more information (complete with flowchart):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff369721.aspx

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Monday, July 19, 2010 12:24 AM