none
Crystal Reports prerequisite install fails with code 1603

Question

• I've just run my clickonce app on my friend's brand new 64-bit windows7 laptop, and it failed to install the Crystal reports prerequisite (see install.log below).

To get around this problem, I installed the crystal reports runtime manually via its own website. But then- strangely- when I ran the install again, it still thought Crystal reports was not installed. But this time when I chose to install it, it no longer said it has failed.

I've done 100s of installs before and never seen this. Any idea what it could be?

Also, I used visual studio's default installer for crystal reports. Is there any way of seeing how it works i.e. Where does it look to check whether Crystal reports is already installed?

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 6.1.1 {version}
    Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
    The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
    Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
    Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 3.5', phase BuildList
    Reading value 'Install' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\1033'
    Read integer value 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNet35InstallSuccess'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 3.5':
    Property: [DotNet35InstallSuccess] = 1 {int}
    Running checks for command 'DotNetFX35\dotNetFx35setup.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'DotNet35InstallSuccess' and value '1': true
    Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX35\dotNetFx35setup.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 3.5' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)', phase BuildList
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{AA467959-A1D6-4F45-90CD-11DC57733F32}'
    MsiQueryProductState returned '5'
    Setting value '5 {int}' for property 'CRVSInstalled'
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{CE26F10F-C80F-4377-908B-1B7882AE2CE3}'
    MsiQueryProductState returned '-1'
    Setting value '-1 {int}' for property 'CRVSRunTimex86Installed'
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{2BFA9B05-7418-4EDE-A6FC-620427BAAAA3}. '
    MsiQueryProductState returned '-2'
    Setting value '-2 {int}' for property 'CRVSRunTimex64Installed'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)':
    Property: [CRVSInstalled] = 5 {int}
    Property: [CRVSRunTimex64Installed] = -2 {int}
    Property: [CRVSRunTimex86Installed] = -1 {int}
    Running checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x86.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'Intel': true
    Result of checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x86.msi' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'AMD64': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThan' on property 'CRVSRunTimex64Installed' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Skipping FailIf because Property 'Version9x' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.00': false
    Result of checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi' is 'Install'
    'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0', phase BuildList
    Looking up path for special folder 'ProgramFilesFolder'
    Running check with folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\3.0\' and file 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll'
    Unable to find directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\3.0\'
    Not setting value for property 'PowerPackVersion'
    The following properties have been set for package 'Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0':
    Running checks for command 'Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0\visualbasicpowerpacks3setup.exe'
    Skipping ByPassIf because Property 'PowerPackVersion' was not defined
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '4.0.5': false
    Result of checks for command 'Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0\visualbasicpowerpacks3setup.exe' is 'Install'
    'Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    EULA for components 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)' was accepted.
    Installation of components 'Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0' was accepted.
    Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\"
    Downloading files to "C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\"
    (27/05/2011 09:24:55) Downloading 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi' from 'http://test1.mydomain.com/MyApp/CrystalReports10_5/CRRedist2008_x64.msi' to 'C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\'
    Download completed at 27/05/2011 09:25:02
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi
    WinVerifyTrust returned 0
    File trusted
    (27/05/2011 09:25:03) Downloading 'Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0\visualbasicpowerpacks3setup.exe' from 'http://test1.mydomain.com/MyApp/Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0/visualbasicpowerpacks3setup.exe' to 'C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\'
    Download completed at 27/05/2011 09:25:05
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\Visual Basic PowerPacks 3.0\visualbasicpowerpacks3setup.exe
    File trusted
    Running checks for package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)', phase BeforePackage
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{AA467959-A1D6-4F45-90CD-11DC57733F32}'
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{CE26F10F-C80F-4377-908B-1B7882AE2CE3}'
    Running MsiProductCheck with ProductCode '{2BFA9B05-7418-4EDE-A6FC-620427BAAAA3}. '
    The following properties have been set for package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)':
    Running checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'ProcessorArchitecture' and value 'AMD64': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThan' on property 'CRVSRunTimex64Installed' and value '0': false
    Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'AdminUser' and value 'false': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.00': false
    Result of checks for command 'CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi' is 'Install'
    'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
    Verifying file integrity of C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi
    File trusted
    Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\ANDREW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDF9E9.tmp\CrystalReports10_5\CRRedist2008_x64.msi" -q /norestart'
    Will attempt to elevate process.
    Process exited with code 1603
    Status of package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)' after install is 'InstallFailed'
    Status of package 'Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0' after install is 'InstallNeeded'

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• It seems that the prerequisite fails when trying to elevate. I noticed that the prerequisite is installed silently through the "-q" parameter. Did you try launching the package from an elevated command line? You can also try modifying the prerequisite so it's not silent and make sure that the UAC is enabled.

You can find the Visual Studio default prerequisites in one of these locations:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\

c:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\

There is a separate folder for each prerequisite which contains an XML manifest with the prerequisite information.

Cosmin Pirvu
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Please ensure you're using the same version when you do those tests, right?

If you're using a different version when you install the Crystal Reports successfully, then you need to try use that version in your installer.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/49544267-d156-4b8c-84de-76b0f105bc15

--> it no longer said it has failed

What do you mean, it always fail, or it success that time?

Have you tried install your installer in other windows7 x64 systems?

What about the others' results?

If it just failed in this system, then I think you need to look into the system, rather than your installer.

And what about the installer on others windows7 x86 systems?

And you also can use the launch condition or custom action to check which bits crystal report need to be installed to the end user system, and then load the crystal report installer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827021

And show us your test results, please.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:06 PM
  • --> it no longer said it has failed

What I mean is: the install appeared to run, even though it wasn't actually required this time. It did not give any errors.

--> Have you tried install your installer in other windows7 x64 systems?

Yes- one or two others. And they didn't have the same problem.

--> If it just failed in this system, then I think you need to look into the system, rather than your installer.

Agreed, and I'm looking at that machine. However I know the history of that machine- it's brand new. So there should be no reason why it wouldn't run. If it happens for this machine, it could happen for others. Whatever happens I will have to make changes to the installer in the end.

After a bit of research, it seems to me that the lines that are wrong are:

It seems to be saying that Crystal reports is installed, but can't actually find either the 32 or 64 bit versions. In actual fact, Crystal reports is NOT installed. Looks like I'll have to rewrite the package, so it correctly detects whether or not Crystal reports is installed.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I think you can try my suggestion to use launch condition or custom action check and install the crystal report runtime and Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64).

Mike [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:37 AM
  • I had a similar issue installing a web site to a windows server 2008 box. The site installer gave the same error, so I looked at the log and saw the command it was trying to run. I opened a command window as Admin and attempted to run the same command. This showed me the true error. The installer detected that I had a beta version of CR for VS2010 installed on the machine, and it could not continue.

After uninstalling the beta runtime, the web site installer worked fine and the latest version of CR installed without issue.

Hope this helps someone else.

Friday, June 03, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Actually, the negative values mean it is NOT installed. It is looking for specific product codes in the registry, and not finding them. That's why it's trying to install it.

Running checks for package 'Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (x86, x64)', phase BuildList

You could try installing it via the command line and pass it the same parameters and see if it works, but without the -q. That might provide you with some information.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Hi urbycoz,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side.

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:28 PM