none
.Net Controls VS Third party controls

Question

• Hi All,

Do anyone have some points on why we go for third party controls rather than native .Net controls?

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:21 AM

Answers

• Because it is their proprietary look and feel for an application. They provide a basic look and feel (the common controls) and that is it. The office group does not publish its look and feel. Don't think of the office group as a part of Microsoft, but as a third party company providing an application. You would not expect an IBM to give their Lotus notes look and feel to Micorosoft for general consumption...hence the same is true for the Office group.

If you want that office look and feel, third party applications are the only way to go.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:36 PM

All replies

• Not sure why you would go for 3rd party controls.  Personally, I write software that has a 20+ year life cycle.  Maintaining projects that depend on 3rd party controls is a huge pain in the rear end.  Support for them rarely last beyond 5 years.  Especially the ones that have license verification built-in are a nightmare.  Correspondingly, I only purchase a control when the effort to replicate its features is unreasonable.  That rarely happens.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 6:00 PM
  • I use third party controls to give my applications a look and feel that Microsoft does not provide out of the box. I would rather spend my time working on the back end logic than dealing with custom controls. Don't get me wrong, I still use the MS controls for a majority of my apps, but if I want the look and feel of Office 2007, its only provided by third party libraries. MS has not released it to the common libraries.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Thanks for your replies. Yes, you are right. If you have limited resource and having high user requirements then probably end up going for third-party controls.

Controls like Dock Panel Control (Like Toolbox or solution Explore container in Visual Studio - IDE), Multicolumn Tree List View are not available in VS out of the box.

I want to build a prototype and show it to my business users about the look and feel of .Net WinForm. Since those users were used Power Builder application for last 10 yrs. With the Native .Net controls, i cannot give the rich look and feel like office 2007. So i am thinking of going to third-party controls.

Why not Microsoft provides those rich features controls used to build VS-IDE and MS-Office?

regards,

Krishna

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Because it is their proprietary look and feel for an application. They provide a basic look and feel (the common controls) and that is it. The office group does not publish its look and feel. Don't think of the office group as a part of Microsoft, but as a third party company providing an application. You would not expect an IBM to give their Lotus notes look and feel to Micorosoft for general consumption...hence the same is true for the Office group.

If you want that office look and feel, third party applications are the only way to go.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:36 PM