none
Download file size is 0 bytes

Question

• Can someone please enlighten me on the conditions under which ClickOnce will download a small text fie but the downloaded file size is 0 bytes?  The published file on IIS has a size of 231 bytes.  TIA.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• I would like you to help us clarify this question?

Do you mean you published the ClickOnce application to a website with IIS, and when you try to install the application, you can download all the things but that text file, right?

What the version of the system and IIS?

How do you know the download file size is 0 bytes? Do you mean you used the ClickOnce log? If so, please share one copy to us, you also can follow my post to create a details log for more information in log file.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winformssetup/thread/32d84703-b11d-4b86-a149-c30c581b97db

And I also suggest you to watch the networking and file system through the ProcessMonitorNetwork Monitor or fiddler.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:21 AM
  • Mike, thanks for the response.  

Do you mean you published the ClickOnce application to a website with IIS, and when you try to install the application, you can download all the things but that text file, right?

Yes.  

What the version of the system and IIS?

IIS 7 on Windows Server 2008

How do you know the download file size is 0 bytes?

Because, the actual file located in c:\document and settings\MyUserName\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\Data\xxxxx\yyyyy\Data\Docs is 0 bytes.   xxxx and yyyy point to the data directory for this application.  There are other text files in this location that are being downloaded correctly.  Also, when my application opens the file, it is empty.

Do you mean you used the ClickOnce log?

No

Thanks again.

Friday, June 17, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Thanks for your clarification.

I mean, you can help us to capture the ClickOnce log as I mentioned in my first post.

Then we can try to analysis the log, since maybe the cause can be displayed in the log.

And I also suggest you to use the tools to watch the networking as I mentioned in my first post.

Would you mind to help us ensure that text file has contents in the server side, but not contents in the client side? Though it is hard to have this mistake, but it is better to ensure this case.

And also look into the file attributes, if it has different attributes from the others file.

And is this file existing alone is a folder, or with others files, and the others files all can download well?

Have a nice weekend!

Mike [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Mike,

1. File on the server has 231 bytes.  This is a copy of the Fiddler raw header and response for this particular file download session:

GET http://sup-buildsrv1/OCC600/Application%20Files/EMS.OCC600.Infrastructure.Shell_1_0_4_18/Docs/ReleaseNotes.txt HTTP/1.1

Host: sup-buildsrv1

Accept-Encoding: gzip

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Content-Type: text/plain

Last-Modified: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:58:39 GMT

Accept-Ranges: bytes

ETag: "8079c460da29cc1:0"

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:45:53 GMT

Content-Length: 231

OCC600 v1.0.4.6

New Features

1. Added button to launch release notes

2. Upgraded to MapSuite v5.0

3. Upgraded to Infragistics v11.1

Bugs

1. Fixed application error when an invalid path is assigned to Report Generator

2. I do not know what to look for in the file attributes.  All looks normal there both within Windows Explorer and the ClickOnce Application Files settings.

3. Followed online instructions on how to set up ClickOnce logging but no logs were generated.  So I have no logs unfortunately.

4. This is the only text file in this folder.  There is another text file on another folder that downloads fine.  I have tried moving this file to another folder to no avail.

Monday, June 20, 2011 6:27 PM
  • I mean you can look into the file property page, to ensure if there's any unusual settings:

fileProperty

Maybe the root cause relate to the file/folder name, or the file/folder themselves?

I think you can try to create a new folder with new name and new file with new name. And then republish it and access to install it.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let us know.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:59 AM
  • knji,
    I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?
    Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Mike, this is a very odd problem. I still have not found an answer yet.  

If I move the file into another folder, publish the application to the server and run my local update, the file is downloaded correctly with all content.  If I publish the application a second time with the file in this new folder, file is downloaded with 0 bytes. If I change the folder again and repeat the aforementioned procedure, file is downloaded properly... etc.... etc.  This is very consistent.   Definitely mind boggling.

Klaus

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:32 PM
  • I would like you to check if the text file is always fine in the sever after you published twice.

And can you show us a steps list to let us know what you have done, and try to see if we can find anything or repro this issue.

Mike [MSFT]

Friday, June 24, 2011 3:55 AM
  • knji,
    I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?
    best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:31 AM
  • What is the name of the folder you are deploying the file in? Does it have any special characters that might be causing a problem, such as an ampersand? 

If you open the application manifest (appname.exe.manifest) in notepad (don't save it!), is the file included in the list?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 6:51 AM