none
ClickOnce Application cannot be Started, help!!

Question

• Hello everyone,

I'm trying to Deploy the application and im getting this error now:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file://pc1/Shared/Program A/MyProgram.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of \\pc1\Shared\Program  A\MyProgram.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [8/4/2006 10:52:34 AM] : Activation of \\pc1\Shared\Program A\MyProgram.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [8/4/2006 10:52:34 AM] System.UnauthorizedAccessException
      - Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Can Anyone tell me what the heck is going on?? This is getting very frustrating.

Thanks

Friday, August 04, 2006 3:01 PM

Answers

• OK. Here it is.

The access denied error in our case was definitely in the registry entry that ClickOnce needs to access. The user could not even open the key HKCU\Software\Classes

After creating a new domain user and trying that one, then trying the old domain user on a different computer and having both of those work we checked at the file level what was actually different in the users Local Settings between the machines that worked and those that did not. We have found (at least for our case) the corruption.

It is:
    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Deleting this file (with a different, sufficiently privileged user otherwise the file will be locked) causes it to be recreated on the next login. After that the ClickOnce install works just fine thanks.

(disclaimer: I have no idea what other effects re-creating that file may have, but it looks like that file controls access to the users Software\Classes registry key and don't think any application could access that registry key as it was anyway...)

Hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:58 PM

All replies

• I ran into the same problem. I removed the app from the control panel and deleted the files from apps\2.0 folder and then it is working. But I really would like to know the cause of this problem. If you find out please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 07, 2006 2:51 PM
  • Yep, I have the same problem too. There is nothing in the cache nor in the control panel, this is the first ClickOnce app that I am trying to install on the machine...

The user is not an admin, but I have already installed this app on other machines where the user just a normal user.

I checked just to make sure and the user can write to the cache location (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings). There is nothing installed in the GAC by this application.
    In fact, it is not just this app, but all apps (at least from the same publish point - i have not tried from elsewhere) that fail in the same way.

I am at a loss for the moment... Any way to find out exactly what is causing the UnauthorizedAccessException?
    Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:09 PM
  • http://www.mcse.ms/archive113-2006-3-2197149.html

I found this link which might help, Bottom bit says.

"OK, desktop support found that there was corruption in the local
    settings folder. They fixed this by deleting the local settings folder
    and logging back in, causing the OS to recreate the local settings
    folder. After that, ClickOnce worked."

James

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:32 PM
  • kinda sounds like fun, but what about all that user's other settings?
    I might go to that thread and ask the same thing.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:13 PM
  • OK. Here it is.

The access denied error in our case was definitely in the registry entry that ClickOnce needs to access. The user could not even open the key HKCU\Software\Classes

After creating a new domain user and trying that one, then trying the old domain user on a different computer and having both of those work we checked at the file level what was actually different in the users Local Settings between the machines that worked and those that did not. We have found (at least for our case) the corruption.

It is:
    %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

Deleting this file (with a different, sufficiently privileged user otherwise the file will be locked) causes it to be recreated on the next login. After that the ClickOnce install works just fine thanks.

(disclaimer: I have no idea what other effects re-creating that file may have, but it looks like that file controls access to the users Software\Classes registry key and don't think any application could access that registry key as it was anyway...)

Hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:58 PM
  • Useful to know ;-)

James

Friday, August 18, 2006 5:58 PM
  • davidkclark you got it right, after hours on the phone with microsoft tech support we were able to find that solution
    Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:37 AM
  • I tried this to no avail. Deleting the userclass.dat does create a new one but

the same problem recurrs with the new one. A new user has no problem. But I cannot simply delete the user

profile. That is completely unacceptable! Anybody know how to resolve this issue where GetUserStore()

returns Access Denied?

Monday, December 25, 2006 1:37 PM
  • Hello all,

I am having a similar issue when trying to run a clickonce app on a machine for a user that does not have admin rights.  After launching the app, I get the following error: "dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  It works fine for admin users.  How do you find the details that were included in the Error report at the start of this thread.  Is there a log file somewhere?

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:01 PM
  • You get the error log when you launch your xbap app by using the command line

Presentationhost.exe <your-path-here> in IE7 with no other instances of IE running.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:07 PM
  • I got the same problem (a clickonce app that runs for user with admin rights but not for users without admin rights) - I found that creating a shortcut to the app worked

e.g. if the app is called ABDEF.exe the shortcut is to

C:\Documents and Settings\username[.domain]\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\9JN9HTAJ.Q0W\T68PMJWC.Q62\ABCD..tion_0d8b36799f05b235_0001.0000_5051032469f696aa\ABDEF.exe

This works for now, but I don't know what will happen when I re-install...

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I got "the application cannot be started please contact the vendor" error although the program did work originally.  Tried re-installing but didn't work and Add/Remove didn't remove the program!  After reading this post I solved the problem by...

Create a new user with Admin rights and log on as them.
    Goto C:\Documents and Settings\originalusername[.domain]\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\

Delete any 'Strange' folders, i.e. 9JN9HTAJ.Q0W

Log back in as original user and re-install, worked for me.
    Friday, September 14, 2007 10:01 AM
  • Yes it works for me too. But this is not right.
    How am I´m supposed to ask a user to delete those folders for any kind of problem like that?
    Even because those folders could be from another software that use ClickOnce as well.

Is that any other way to fix this instead of do this kind of procedure.

I´m really thinking of change my actuall setup installations to a traditional one.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:18 PM
  •  

I don't know how common this problem is. When we have this problem, we know which files are ours, and only delete those files and folders. I have sent a list of the folders to a customer a couple of times.

We haven't seen any case where you can't uninstall the application and reinstall it and have it work.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Hi I am facing the similar problem but. the Error I am getting is differant.

Could some one can help me in this regard.

ERROR DETAILS

* [9/26/2008 6:20:28 PM] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

- The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

- Stack trace:

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)

at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.GetAssemblyManifest(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity)

at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)

at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CheckAndReferenceApplication(SubscriptionState subState, DefinitionAppId appId, Int64 transactionId)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)

at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)

at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Thanks In Advance

-Ravi

Friday, October 03, 2008 7:49 AM
  • So assuming that you using a third party reference in the application. Does the com object have a seperate install need?

Is this is the first computer you have a had this problem on ? Or does it happen with all of the machine you try to install the  clickonce app onto which are not development machines ?

My best guess at the moment is that you need the third party com object on the production machines this might have to be a seperate install?

James

Friday, October 03, 2008 12:20 PM

• Is the COM component the Microsoft Office Interop stuff? Or is it something different? If it's Office, you need to deploy the Interop tools as a prerequisite (they show up if you have VS2008 SP-1).

If it's not Office, you will probably need to write an msi package to install the COM component in the GAC. Then you can deploy this package as a prerequisite. You can add it to the prerequisites in Visual Studio using the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator.

RobinS.
    GoldMail.com
    Monday, October 06, 2008 4:20 AM
  • We have published this click once is a server. While the client is trying to contact the server and download the updates this exception is occuring. This is not happening with other clients.

Help me out in this regard

Thanks

-Ravi

Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:55 AM
  •  

I don't know where the dll it's looking for came from. Maybe you have it installed on the other computers, but not this one.

I assume you are pushing the (right version of the) .Net Framework as a prerequisite?

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Just do it :)

1-Download delprof.msi
    2-Delete wrong user profiles
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Akshay...  this project doesn't exist even though you posted this recently.  is there a different URL?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:33 PM
  • All,

I am getting a similar error with no luck.  Other computers install the application just fine, but for some reason on my laptop I get the following error when trying to install.  I had another WPF application installed using ClickOnce and now when I launch this application, I get the same error.  PLEASE HELP!

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.17929
     System.Deployment.dll   : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     clr.dll    : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     dfdll.dll    : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
     dfshim.dll    : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://hq-met-sql-01p/MET_Interface_Status/MET%20Interface%20Status.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://hq-met-sql-01p/MET_Interface_Status/MET%20Interface%20Status.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [6/25/2013 12:41:41 PM] : Activation of http://hq-met-sql-01p/MET_Interface_Status/MET%20Interface%20Status.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [6/25/2013 12:41:41 PM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      - The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Thank you! This fixed my issue on Windows 8.

File path is a little different though.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

• Edited by i5evo Saturday, January 04, 2014 3:12 AM
    Saturday, January 04, 2014 3:09 AM