none
Is possible to add Windowx SP2+ SP3 + Framework 4.0 + Application into single msi file?

Question

• I have created windows application into VS 2010, but most of my user dont have Windows XP SP 2 and SP 3. Is possible to add Windowx SP2+ SP3 + Framework 4.0 + Application into single msi file?
    Monday, August 01, 2011 1:27 AM

Answers

• I think that Windows Service Packs are too "big" for application prerequisites. They make a lot of system modifications and cannot be uninstalled. I for one wouldn't want a Windows Service pack applied just to run some application.

A good approach is using a launch condition:

• select your setup project in Solution Explorer
    • click "Launch Conditions Editor" in Solution Explorer top pane
    • add a new launch condition which checks the Windows version and service pack

This way the installation is not performed on unsupported Windows versions.

Cosmin Pirvu
    Monday, August 01, 2011 12:34 PM

All replies

• I think that Windows Service Packs are too "big" for application prerequisites. They make a lot of system modifications and cannot be uninstalled. I for one wouldn't want a Windows Service pack applied just to run some application.

A good approach is using a launch condition:

• select your setup project in Solution Explorer
    • click "Launch Conditions Editor" in Solution Explorer top pane
    • add a new launch condition which checks the Windows version and service pack

This way the installation is not performed on unsupported Windows versions.

Cosmin Pirvu
    Monday, August 01, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Of course, you could download them from Microsoft Web Site and design one batch file to install them one by one. Then compress these files in to one self-extracting executable.

Or learn to create a prerequisite package for SP2 and SP3 (.Net Framework 4 has the prerequisite package in Windows SDK): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx

A tool - Bootstrapper Manifest Generator you can download from: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/bmg

However, as Cosmin said, SP for Windows is too large, we do not recommend you to build them in your single file. Please modify your installer and check the version, then ask your client download them from network to install the SPs.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:58 AM