none
How to make a Windows form appear on top of FullScreen Direct3D9/10?

Question

• How to make a Windows form appear on top of a Direct3D surface in both Window mode* and Full screen?

I've been working on a toolbox like application for one of my favourite games...

* In window mode it needs to be able to 'stick' to the bounds of the window like a wart plaster, I've been using 'TopMost=true' to make my toolbox appear on top - though, but I can't seem to find a way to lock it to the bounds of the games' window.

I can't get the windows form to show above the Fullscreen Direct3D game, which seems to be intended behavior, unless there's a way around it, Though I've been reading about DirectX hooking in C++ and it seems possible with that, though I know next to nothing about C++, My skills lie in C#, Java and VB.NET.

Tools like Fraps and Xfire seem to be able to do this no problem...

At the moment it's eluding me, since all the samples I've tried have either not worked or not worked as intended, or just plain wrong.

Note: I do not have access to the games source code, nor do I want it ;)

A hobbist who has a hatred of IE 7 and is currently deeply in love with Firefox...
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• This is not possible with Windows Forms.  Use the DirectX forum at forums.xna.com

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Even I was waiting for your reply Hans. Just curious, can WPF help with this ?

Thanks

My BlogMy FlickrMy Facebook
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:06 AM
  • This is not possible with Windows Forms.  Use the DirectX forum at forums.xna.com

Hans Passant.

My thread on there has not received a single relevant reply. Also, what about the other things I mentioned? I'm confused.

A hobbist who has a hatred of IE 7 and is currently deeply in love with Firefox...
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Start another one.  Be sure not to mention Windows Forms.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Start another one.  Be sure not to mention Windows Forms.

Hans Passant.

Here goes nothing, I don't expect a relevant reply though within 2 years, like my last thread on this issue.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:35 AM