none
How to convert a .exe file to .jar file that will work in linux, mac and pc?

General discussion

• The answer that is marked now, is the good answer, but i want a better answer.

Hello everybody,

i have a software that i make in visual basic 2010 and i want to convert it to a executable jar file, so who use linux will see what my software do.

So, what i need its to convert a exe file to jar file, a lot of people in this forum, and in stackoverflow.com, they said this: "a JAR file is an zip file with another extension", but i already know this, i need to CONVERT the exe file to jar, i know how to convert a jar to exe without any software.

I want someone who knows how to do it the easiest way.

If someone tells me how to convert exe to apt AND exe to dmg, with a software for windows, its good for me.

Monday, January 28, 2013 11:19 PM

All replies

• I have never heard of any software that converts a .Net app to a java executable.  That is not to say such a tool doesn't exist though...

You might see if Mono, a project which supports compiling .Net on Linux will work.  I am not sure if they support Mac OS.

--
    Mike
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:33 PM
  • Target the 2.0 .NET framework and make your software in VJ#2005.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Also, don't write: "You can convert exe to dmg." because i want to make it from the os (operating system): "Windows XP Professional" and exe to dmg is ONLY for mac, if youu have one for windows, that will help me

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Mike:

I have never heard of any software that converts a .Net app to a java executable.  That is not to say such a tool doesn't exist though...

You might see if Mono, a project which supports compiling .Net on Linux will work.  I am not sure if they support Mac OS.

--
    Mike

Me:

but how do i use it?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:25 AM
  • Mono is a version of Visual Studio running on UNIX platforms.  You rebuild your app on the UNIX box.

--
    Mike
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:29 AM
  • The answer that is marked now, is the good answer, but i want a better answer.

I'm afraid that, as far as I know, Mike's answer is the best answer there is.  A .Net application created by Visual Studio will only run under Windows with the targeted .Net Framework installed.  Mono attempts to allow you to compile your .Net source code so that it will run under Linux. I don't know of any software that will take a .Net executable and make it run under Linux and Mac OS.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:40 AM