none
Advertised shortcuts in the installers... how avoid it

Answers

• There's no IDE support in Visual Studio setup projects to turn off advertised shortcuts so there is no answer except to use Orca or a post-build step to add DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1 to the Property table in the MSI file.  It works on the command line if you;d rather so that: msiexec /i <path to your msi> DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1

I think you may be assuming that Visual Studio setups have support for all the features in Windows Installer, but they don't. If you want to control that type of detail, or build your own UI forms, create multiple features, run custom actions off buttons in the UI and so on then use a tool that supports that functionality (WiX, Wise, InstallShield, Advanced Installer, just to name a few other tools that create MSI files).
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by vtortola Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:03 PM

All replies

• It's amazing that this post has 1328 views and no answers.

.: Valeriano Tórtola :.: http://www.vtortola.net :.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:31 PM
  • There's no IDE support in Visual Studio setup projects to turn off advertised shortcuts so there is no answer except to use Orca or a post-build step to add DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1 to the Property table in the MSI file.  It works on the command line if you;d rather so that: msiexec /i <path to your msi> DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1

I think you may be assuming that Visual Studio setups have support for all the features in Windows Installer, but they don't. If you want to control that type of detail, or build your own UI forms, create multiple features, run custom actions off buttons in the UI and so on then use a tool that supports that functionality (WiX, Wise, InstallShield, Advanced Installer, just to name a few other tools that create MSI files).
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by vtortola Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:06 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:03 PM
  • That's what I wanted, a way of do it or know that is not possible.

thanks.

.: Valeriano Tórtola :.: http://www.vtortola.net :.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Using VS2005 there is a prototype msi file in the common7\tools\deployment\vsdschema directory called schema.msi. This prototype is used in the consecutive generation of your deployment msi file.
    It's read only so first you have to change that. Then you can use orca to add  DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1
     to the Property table. So from then on all your msi files will create the standard shortcut. I suppose VS2008 use the same mechanism.
    • Proposed as answer by SxOne Friday, July 29, 2011 4:32 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 12:00 PM
  • I was struggling with this problem for a while when I came upon this thread. Modifying the schema.msi file DID solve the problem for me, using VS 2008.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Only that this is exactly the kind of things that have to be documented somewhere, in a very noticeable place...

Otherwise people start wondering why some things magically work only in some machines, or stop working on new ones, or don't work when checked out from source code control, or not the same after restoring from a backup...

Now I know one more thing to check next time I have to troubleshoot something that stopped working  :-D

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:04 AM