none
Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup.

General discussion

• I am attempting to run a .net windows form application on a Windows 2000 machine.

But when I load the application it does nothign for 20 second then returns the error message:

"Failed to load resources from resource file
    Please check your setup."

At first, I just realised that the .net framework was not installed. So I installed it. Still, the problem remained. Then I thought it was perhaps a manifest file I use conflicting with something, but that did nothing.

This program works fine on 2 other XP machines, but not so for the 2000 machine.

The only resources that are in this exe I assume are just images and an icon. I dont really see how this could be causing the problem.

Is this a generic error? Or is there smoething I can do to fix this?
    Thursday, February 26, 2004 12:35 AM

All replies

• luthor,

have you figured out an answer to this issue?  i too, am stumped by this problem.
    Friday, March 05, 2004 1:43 PM
  • Has anyone found a fix or workaround for this?  I'm stumped to.  Have looked absolutely everyone.

Thanks,
    paul
    pfleenor@bancintranets.com
    Thursday, April 01, 2004 3:15 PM
  • I've got the same problem.  I only get this message on Windows 2000 (running through Microsoft VirtualPC 2004), not on XP.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2004 11:45 AM
  • Because my application failed on Windows 98 SE and Windows 2000, whilst working on Windows XP - it immediately suggested to me that it was down to thread locking as Windows XP is much better at handling dodgy multithreading as I read ages ago in the "Simple, Safe Multithreading in Windows Forms" article:

Quote:

As it turned out, I had just gotten lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you characterize such things). Microsoft Windows® XP was providing me with a very robust implementation of the underlying windowing system on which Windows Forms is built. So robust, in fact, that it gracefully handled my violation of the prime directive of Windows programming—Though shalt not operate on a window from other than its creating thread. Unfortunately there's no guarantee that other, less robust implementations of Windows would be equally graceful given my bad manners.

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnforms/html/winforms06112002.asp)

So, I removed the [STAThread] attribute from my "public static void main(string[] args) method (which I'd only put there because of habit) and it all worked fine.

I sorted it out in minutes this morning, must've needed some sleep...

No wonder noone posted about how they'd fixed the problem, they're probably too embarassed!
    Thursday, April 22, 2004 4:29 AM
  • I have an application I wrote using Visual Basic .net through Visual Studio .net 2003  that runs fine on the orgiinal XP environment and ran fine under Windows 2000 with the .net framework installed up until when I tried to run it today.  WHen I installed it today under Windwos 2000, it runs for about ten seconds and then gives the error "Failed To Load Resources From Resource File. Please Check Your Setup".  It doesnt even generate an event log entry.  I have no stack traces, no event log.  In the form initialization routine, I open a special event log and write a line stating the program started.  It does not include an entry when it crashes so it never gets there.  My choices at this point are to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 and then see what happens, wipe out all third party software on the WIndows 2000 server, install WIndows XP on the 2000 server or other nasty things.  I am jsut surprised that VS.Net would allow such a vague message to be displayed without giving ANY clues as to WTF is going on.

Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, -kevin

Friday, January 05, 2007 3:17 AM