none
Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 as a ClickOnce prerequisite fails

Question

• I have developed a ClickOnce Project 2007 add-in in VS2008 RTM. I am publishing to a CD rather than a web server for now. I have specfied the .NET Framework 3.5 and VSTO 3.0 as prerequisites in the Publish section of the project . When the setup runs is detects that the 3.5 framework is not installed and begins the process of downloading/installing the framework. After a few minutes it fails with an error saying that another install of 3.5 is in progress, yet the only framework on this 'test' machine is 1.1.

"Another installation is already in progress.  Complete that installation before proceeding with this install. "

The following components were not installed:

- Visual Studio Tools for the Office system 3.0 Runtime

The following components failed to install:

- .NET Framework 3.5"

Now if I go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en

and download the dotNetFx35Setup.exe and run that the framework is installed with no problem.

So the issue is that the published ClickOnce application is unable to seamlessly install the framework via setup.exe. (I have download component from vendors web site selected)

Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?

I am thinking I may have to tell the clients to install Framework 3.5/VSTO 3.0 before running the ClickOnce setup.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:59 PM

Answers

• The issue wasn;t the ClickOnce setup.exe, but with the installer app used to wrap the ClickOnce. In order to get it to launch the ClickOnce setup.exe correctly it had to be configured to run the process asynchronously. I am not totally certain, but my guess is that the installer could not wrap the processes associated with the downloading and installing of prerequisites as a single transaction.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 2:46 PM