none
Question on Data Source Configuration Wizard in Visual Studio 2010

Question

• Hi All,

I am new to VS 2010. I am trying to connect to an oracle database and bind it to a dataGridView etc..

As per documentation, the Data Source Configuration Wizard (through "data-> add new data source" OR datagridview->choose data source->add project data source") should give me an option to connect to Database or Objects. But i am not able to see the database option in the Data Source Configuration Wizard.

Can someone please tell me how to get the database connection option? Thanks in advance.

However, i am able to create a connection in server explorer and see the oracle tables.

I am using VS 2010 on 64 bit Windows 7. Please let me know if you need any further information.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Data,

Base on your description, which language do you use, is it a C++ winform project, VB winform project or C# winform project? And which version of vs2010 do you use? Could you please provide more imformation please? Thanks.

And you can refer to these links:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vsreportcontrols/thread/d0f33974-af33-421f-9780-78b908850b4d

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsreportcontrols/thread/fad4a1da-a56b-4505-a660-3ca0791b9d6b

Sincerely,
    Vin Jin 

Vin Jin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Vin.

Here is my problem: I am trying to develop a windows application which needs to store and retrive data from a database. For this, i choose C++/CLR Window Forms. So in VS 2010 (version 10.0.31118.1 SP1REL) and when i tried to use Data Source Configuration Wizard (through "data-> add new data source" OR datagridview->choose data source->add project data source") i am not able to see the database option in the Data Source Configuration Wizard. Due to this I am not able to progress further database piece of code.

If i can make the Data Source Configuration Wizard show database option then it would be great. Or can i connect and do database operations programetically using options like tableadapter etc..? if so, please let me know how to do it.

On further research online, i came to now that I can write the database piece of application in C++ and then call the C++ program from C++/CLI when needed. Do you think this is a good approach? Please suggest.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your time in advance !!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Hi Data,

Base on your description, I think you can refer to this link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/ce3fc795-cea2-45f2-8cfa-00088ae5e56d/

It is useful to you.

Sincerely,
    Vin Jin

Vin Jin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Aspen VJ Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:33 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Thanks Vin. Appogies for a late reply but based on that link you gave, i understood that Win Forms is not the best option to deal with the database application development. I moved back to MFC. Please let me know if you can suggest a better approach.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 2:58 AM