none
.NET 4.0 - The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications.

Question

• I am having a problem with a click once deployment - if I get a copy of my .NET 3.5 solution from subversion and generate a click once deployment using my build script which makes use of mage.exe it works fine and deploys. If I then right click -> properties on my Windows Forms project and change it to target the .NET 4 Framework (I also have to add a reference to Microsoft.CSharp to get it to build) and run the same build script the build script completes without any errors but the deployment fails on the client with the error: "The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications."

The mage.exe part of the build script is:

<Target Name="PrepareClickOnceDeployment">
        <Exec Command="&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\mage.exe&quot; -New Application -ToFile &quot;$(TestDeployVersionDir)\AlphaForms.exe.manifest&quot; -Name &quot;Alpha BackOffice Test&quot; -Version $(ReleaseVersion) -FromDirectory &quot;$(TestDeployVersionDir)&quot; -TrustLevel FullTrust -IconFile Resources\AppIcon.ico"/>
        <Exec Command="&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\mage.exe&quot; -Sign &quot;$(TestDeployVersionDir)\AlphaForms.exe.manifest&quot; -CertFile &quot;$(TestCert)&quot;"/>

<Exec Command="&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\mage.exe&quot; -Update &quot;$(TestDeployDir)\AlphaForms.application&quot; -Version $(ReleaseVersion) -AppManifest &quot;$(TestDeployVersionDir)\AlphaForms.exe.manifest&quot; -MinVersion $(ReleaseVersion) -ProviderUrl $(TestClickOnceURL)/AlphaForms.application -Publisher &quot;Publisher Name&quot;"/>
        <Exec Command="&quot;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\mage.exe&quot; -Sign &quot;$(TestDeployDir)\AlphaForms.application&quot; -CertFile &quot;$(TestCert)&quot;"/> 

<GenerateBootstrapper ApplicationFile="AlphaForms.application"
                              ApplicationName="Alpha Back Office Test"
                              ApplicationUrl="$(TestClickOnceURL)/$(ReleaseVersion)"
                              BootstrapperItems="@(BootstrapperFile)"
                              Culture="en"
                              FallbackCulture="en-US"
                              CopyComponents="true"
                              Validate="false"
                              OutputPath="$(TestDeployDir)" />
      </Target>

The full error detail is:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.1.7600.0 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.1
     System.Deployment.dll   : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
     clr.dll    : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
     dfdll.dll    : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
     dfshim.dll    : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://slon02/alphatest/AlphaForms.application
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
          X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
     Deployment Provider url  : http://slon02/alphatest//AlphaForms.application
     Application url   : http://slon02/alphatest//1.2.0.51/AlphaForms.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : Alpha Back Office Test.app, Version=1.2.0.51, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=77e4696e8601bc24, processorArchitecture=msil

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of http://slon02/alphatest/AlphaForms.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [04/06/2010 14:38:18] : Activation of http://slon02/alphatest/AlphaForms.application has started.
     * [04/06/2010 14:38:18] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [04/06/2010 14:38:18] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [04/06/2010 14:38:18] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (ManifestSemanticValidation)
      - The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Nothing changes in the build script and nothing changes in the code apart from the target framework, it deploys fine when I target the 3.5 framework, when I chage it to 4.0 framework it fails with that error.

Friday, June 04, 2010 1:48 PM

All replies

• To be frank, this is the first thing I would fix:

>>(I also have to add a reference to Microsoft.CSharp to get it to build

You should definitely not have to do that. If you have a problem as basic as that, there's no telling what else is mucked up.

Did you open the solution in Visual Studio and change the target framework to .NET 4.0 in the Application tab on all of the projects included in the solution? If you did that, did you try building to see if it worked?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, June 04, 2010 9:59 PM
  • This line is the line which says it requires Microsoft.Csharp to build:

MailItem item = (MailItem)application.CreateItem(OlItemType.olMailItem);

The Error is: Error 20 One or more types required to compile a dynamic expression cannot be found. Are you missing references to Microsoft.CSharp.dll and System.Core.dll? C:\Alpha Build\Alpha\Code\Alpha\AlphaForms\Workflow\TaskForms\IncomingContactTaskForm.cs 437 33 AlphaForms

I commented out this section of code and it builds fine without Microsoft.CSharp. It only requires it when I switch the target Framework to .NET 4.0.

Basically I have a build script which pulls a fresh copy of the solution from subversion, builds it with this:

<MSBuild Projects="$(CodeDir)\Workflow\AlphaServer.sln" Properties="Configuration=Test;Platform=Any CPU"/>

and then creates the click once deployment using mage as detailed in the first post. To test my theory of what the problem could be I am using the currently released version of the code with ABSOLUTELY zero changes to it other than changing the target framework to 4.0. So basically I checked out the code, changed the target framework of the main windows forms app to .NET 4.0 and then ran the same build script. For the .NET 3.5 it generated the click once deployment and releases without any problems. The .NET 4.0 version also builds fine, generates the click once deployment and the client then gets "The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications.". If I take the same solution and same build script and change it back to target .NET 3.5 it works perfectly again.

The .NET 4.0 version builds fine and the build exe runs fine. It is only the Click Once deployment which fails. I spent 12 hours on Friday playing with it but no matter what I did I always ended up with the same error.

Monday, June 07, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

I'm assuming you know that 4.0 has a different CLR version, and installs side-by-side with 3.5? Have you checked out any of the articles on the differences between .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0, and which ones are breaking changes?

You  might check out this post; it talks about the new features in .NET 4.0.

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/04/12/visual-studio-2010-and-net-4-released.aspx

Requiring a reference to Microsoft.CSharp is kind of disturbing, and not something I've ever heard of. Can you humor me and check out the article and see if there's anything helpful there, and post back if not. I can ping the ClickOnce team about this, but I'd rather exhaust all options first if possible.

RobinDotNet

Monday, June 07, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I can have a look through, but as I said before the application builds and runs fine. It is just the click once deployment which fails on the client side. If I comment out the section of code which requires Microsoft.CSharp it still builds fine and runs but won't deploy on the client side. From what I know about ClickOnce if the application builds and runs without any issue it should just deploy the same files to the client and run without any problem also. I don't think it can be an issue in the actual code?

For now I have just given up and moved on. I have switched the main forms app back to .NET 3.5 and reworked some of the other assemblies so that the WCF services are running in .NET 4.0 but the client side assemblies are all .NET 3.5.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:18 AM
  • I have another question. When trying to build for 4.0 versus 3.5, are you using the different versions of mage? I think the one that came with VS2010 would need to be used for 4.0, and the one that came with VS2008 would need to be used for 3.5.

RobinDotNet

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:59 PM
  • No I am using the same one for both - the VS2010 version. As part of the process I went through to try and fix the issue I changed from v6 to v7 which is installed here for me -> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\mage.exe. It works for 3.5 version but not 4.0 version.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Are you absolutely sure? Can you doublecheck that? Because the one from VS2008 (in ...windows\v6.0a\bin\) won't work for .NET 4.0, but the one in v7.0a definitely should.

RobinDotNet

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:22 PM
  • 100% sure, it is definitly v7.0A
    Monday, June 14, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I am having the same issue.  I upgraded my project to target .NET 4.0 and now I get the "The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications" error regardless of whether I use the new or old version of mage just like Simon explained.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:27 PM
  • No idea. I'll ping the C/O guys again.

RobinDotNet

Friday, July 02, 2010 2:10 AM
  • If you right-click on the exe file, what is the File version of the mage.exe file that you are using?

Just checking; mine is 3.5.30729.1, dated 3/19/2010.

RobinDotNet

Friday, July 09, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I was having the same issue, I had upgraded a VS 2008 Winforms project to the VS 2010 format using the upgrade wizard that comes with VS2010 Express. After changing the target framework to 4.0, I built the application, it runs fine from VS2010. But after publishing it, I was unable to deploy the application, I was getting the same error as mentioned above. Then I started looking around the project as to what all had changed since the 2008 version of VS. Then I realized, that quite a few things had changed in the new project that I had created in VS 2010, so I adopted a different approach to migration. I created a new project in VS 2010, then opened the older (VS 2008) source files in VS 2008 and copied the source code and design time objects to the VS 2010 files. Then I built the project and published it using VS2010 wizard, it deployed without any errors. Then I used MageUI to fiddle with the Manifests and republished the project and it deployed fine again. I think, something from the VS2008 environment is not getting converted properly by the VS2010 upgrade wizard which causes this problem, but creating a new project from scratch helps to resolve the problem. Hope this is helpful to the folks facing the above mentioned error ("The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications."). 
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Simon,

I talked to the ClickOnce product lead about this thread. The customHostSpecific attribute is a VSTO-only property and it shouldn't show up in the manifest of a Windows Forms application, so it's very odd that you would be seeing this error.

Can you please post your application manifest here (the yourappname.exe.manifest file in the versioned folder)?

RobinDotNet

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:42 PM
  • We have the same problem, when we converted from VS2008 to VS2010 with Framework 3.5 everything was working fine.

Then we switched to 4.0 and since this time we get the error as already mentioned above saying "we get the error like already mentioned above. "The customHostSpecified attribute is not supported for Windows Forms applications.""

Switching between "x86" or "msil" also did not help.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Hi, nhale,

Can you please post your application manifest (yourapp.exe.manifest) here? If you can't paste it into the window directly, click the code button and put it in as code.

Thanks,
    RobinDotNet

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hi Robin,

tried to answer, but always get an error on posting, can I send you a mail with the manifest details?

Thanks

nhale

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Post a comment on my blog and tell me why and I will e-mail you and you can send me the manifest.
    http://robindotnet.wordpress.com/about

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Hi Robin,

FYI: we are creating the application and manifest files with Mage.exe

The <entryPoint> is wrong i guess, but how do we solve this, we did not really change something in the startupproject...

Would be nice to get a solution asap.

Thanks for your investigation.

How it should look like:

<entryPoint>
      <assemblyIdentity name="UIDesigner" version="5.23.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="x86" />
      <commandLine file="UIDesigner.exe" parameters="" />
     </entryPoint>

How it currently looks like - NOT WORKING:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <asmv1:assembly xsi:schemaLocation="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1 assembly.adaptive.xsd" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3" xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:co.v1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:clickonce.v1">
     <asmv1:assemblyIdentity name="UIDesigner.exe" version="25.0.558.631" publicKeyToken="3fb3288142bf2d52" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="x86" type="win32" />
     <application />
     <entryPoint>
      <co.v1:customHostSpecified />
     </entryPoint>
     <trustInfo>
      <security>
       <applicationRequestMinimum>
        <PermissionSet Unrestricted="true" ID="Custom" SameSite="site" />
        <defaultAssemblyRequest permissionSetReference="Custom" />
       </applicationRequestMinimum>
       <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <!--
         UAC Manifest Options
         If you want to change the Windows User Account Control level replace the 
         requestedExecutionLevel node with one of the following.

<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable" uiAccess="false" />

If you want to utilize File and Registry Virtualization for backward 
         compatibility then delete the requestedExecutionLevel node.
      -->
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
       </requestedPrivileges>
      </security>
     </trustInfo>
     <dependency>
      <dependentOS>
       <osVersionInfo>
        <os majorVersion="4" minorVersion="10" buildNumber="0" servicePackMajor="0" />
       </osVersionInfo>
      </dependentOS>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="preRequisite" allowDelayedBinding="true">
       <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.Windows.CommonLanguageRuntime" version="2.0.50727.0" />
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="Interop.RTCCore.dll" size="77824">
       <assemblyIdentity name="Interop.RTCCore" version="1.3.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:Transforms>
         <dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />
        </dsig:Transforms>
        <dsig:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
        <dsig:DigestValue>RqG92obJ+LRqdKo29vlHsSJId5w=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSBOConnector.dll" size="110080">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSBOConnector" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
         <dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />
        <dsig:DigestValue>5GJ+6rpgSvrQfcPa8k6oI1ShQpQ=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSCheckmateCore.dll" size="3456000">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSCheckmateCore" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>8nyOPnCEO2L1BV94rh7O0XE5LLc=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSConnector.dll" size="144896">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSConnector" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>u3yVSZGJmwF7dqwLX50uCsyudvI=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUIBase.dll" size="12800">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUIBase" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>GndfF/N76Atv4wlTLg6219JDGjk=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUICoreApiWPF.dll" size="11776">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUICoreApiWPF" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>mVw3K2yLe1rAdH9peHrCPdActhc=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUICoreModelWPF.dll" size="2162688">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUICoreModelWPF" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>F0v2DpGhKd0krkGq2rFnd8/3YTk=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUICoreScripting.dll" size="142336">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUICoreScripting" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>nIPiK3YvGOt1n0F8TohBuzu3JYc=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUIFoundation.dll" size="37376">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUIFoundation" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>yyWlcYQ1vYH2ixBBB4813cQPpy0=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="LSUISkins.dll" size="416256">
       <assemblyIdentity name="LSUISkins" version="25.0.558.631" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>a8ngR5YLcbJy9FfBYdduHPLzfb0=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="Xml.Schema.Linq.dll" size="226304">
       <assemblyIdentity name="Xml.Schema.Linq" version="1.0.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>VSP1BXLMfMB8FXkGTuBa33ChnhY=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <dependency>
      <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" allowDelayedBinding="true" codebase="XOTask.dll" size="5632">
       <assemblyIdentity name="XOTask" version="1.0.0.0" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" />
       <hash>
        <dsig:DigestValue>N1c0alK43onFm7w9FQq9fglX15M=</dsig:DigestValue>
       </hash>
      </dependentAssembly>
     </dependency>
     <file name="LSComponentModelers.dll" size="658432">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>VbSJboD73i3YpnDS8sy2kR+uCw4=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSModel.dll" size="2240512">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>K0zgWPNs4FM7FnCTTV9497PPkQ8=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSPluginModel.dll" size="14848">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>Mxe4N/4Xx0rht41+Ai3kARxE784=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSPluginModelers.dll" size="18432">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>XJe0R1kt6/KmOj1qe4U03cKdhwI=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSProjectModelers.dll" size="803840">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>ptB6CbuC9t4y2otvEv0EuUVSCtg=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSUICore.dll" size="694272">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>HK96QzYvQ1c9IwAdOXL1vqV73jY=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="LSUIDesignerControls.dll" size="111616">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>7TOQTcM6dT3tR+P6DAr5HDyDuZw=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="UIDesigner.exe" size="993792">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>GJubPAy2PyESQk83DW6wR209wDs=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
     <file name="UIDesigner.exe.config" size="1018">
      <hash>
       <dsig:DigestValue>yFyJAAtywg2A/zMMj5psnTz1ncI=</dsig:DigestValue>
      </hash>
     </file>
    <publisherIdentity name="CN=UIDesigner Test Certificate" issuerKeyHash="2807596292c05014f2c46e7716d717bec40f4f37" /><Signature Id="StrongNameSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>19aSozLAaBNKJpO/7HmWtRgkNqE=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>fOepi0OzIi34rCv2lBn8SJXs3PeSgJQ/0c/nXK+yDeBjLwH/A4kPSsljrv1M6/ak6u11ZpkdmnYYwrD+PSgVoLxWebWWxLQedWfQ2ZZvo8uQvUuUeyGAPHDSGcwlxPZPHOwJXSyQGOI/lU4kKiaNxiSS3Wm9gjXj9Z5G6PZmXLg=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo Id="StrongNameKeyInfo"><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>n6QiiaazDQ4lr6AsjNLrj6AoQ6paCbqgUKrDJM3iQmBwskWkBMqXHm5/9F5+wFYsjFItC2bNt8+Ji3iNjwU7jhAWFZN6ztxOiSxHuTM/Y2+d/jiq3PXTc8gCf1zRALmz8pbXtuMoncXj0rrUplaw/QzAdASqHFKQsGf5lcI4QW8=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><msrel:RelData xmlns:msrel="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/rel/2005/reldata"><r:license xmlns:r="urn:mpeg:mpeg21:2003:01-REL-R-NS" xmlns:as="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/pki/2005/Authenticode"><r:grant><as:ManifestInformation Hash="a1362418b59679ecbf93264a1368c032a392d6d7" Description="" Url=""><as:assemblyIdentity name="UIDesigner.exe" version="25.0.558.631" publicKeyToken="3fb3288142bf2d52" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="x86" type="win32" /></as:ManifestInformation><as:SignedBy /><as:AuthenticodePublisher><as:X509SubjectName>CN=UIDesigner Test Certificate</as:X509SubjectName></as:AuthenticodePublisher></r:grant><r:issuer><Signature Id="AuthenticodeSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>3AhwpwVI18cpFpfRRNe14Ml+W+4=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>JTNkNI0OPLgYjfPv1AXUvcVLTKOAAUi4rWPhH90HYZn1j1hD2q1gJO6sRf8S9eci1x5HfxmrZjhneuIt1PTQqx6xjpwRhosoVD+WYFufkCYqkiQga2Qfn1+R+3iD1/e3N4ikMB0Yq/Gahkh4LFfWjit4qn1PcAWn9w3MPplCUyg=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>n6QiiaazDQ4lr6AsjNLrj6AoQ6paCbqgUKrDJM3iQmBwskWkBMqXHm5/9F5+wFYsjFItC2bNt8+Ji3iNjwU7jhAWFZN6ztxOiSxHuTM/Y2+d/jiq3PXTc8gCf1zRALmz8pbXtuMoncXj0rrUplaw/QzAdASqHFKQsGf5lcI4QW8=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><X509Data><X509Certificate>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</X509Certificate></X509Data></KeyInfo></Signature></r:issuer></r:license></msrel:RelData></KeyInfo></Signature></asmv1:assembly>

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I'm currently evaluating if this is the reason for our build problem with Mage.exe, but you might find the reason in the link at the end.

Mage.exe was updated to work with .NET 4.0.

The new version(s) of Mage.exe can be found at "<SystemDrive>:\<ProgramFiles>\Windows SDKs\Windows\v7.x[A]\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools"

!!new versions only in \NETFX 4.0 Tools" directory!!

This seems to be installed with VS2010 or a newer Windows SDK.

At the end of this page at "Remarks" the table is interesting:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/acz3y3te.aspx

• Proposed as answer by nhale Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:14 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

I knew about the second version in the netfx 4.0 tools directory, but the ClickOnce product lead told me that the one in tye 7.0a\bin folder should work too. So if you use the version in the netfx directory, does it work for you?

RobinDotNet

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Hi Robin,

for me it works from the NETFX directory.

The others from the bin directory all have the same version 3.x only the ones from the NETFX dir have the 4.x version.

I check WinSDK directories 6.0;6.1;7.0;7.1

So I got it working again.

nhale

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I was using the mage.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin

File Version : 3.5.30729.1

The version in the NETFX directory is version 4.x

I switched my build scripts over to use the version in the NETFX directory but now I am getting an error in mage saying that MyApp.exe.deploy is not a valid entry point. Will play around with it a bit tomorrow but it looks like there is definitely a file version problem in the v7.0A folder?

Monday, July 26, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Now I just seem to be getting:

+ Deployment manifest is not semantically valid.
      + Deployment manifest is missing <compatibleFrameworks>.

When I use mage.exe version 4 no matter what version of the framework I am targeting. If I switch the app to target 3.5 and use mage.exe 3.5 it all works fine again...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:46 AM
  • The <compatibleFrameworks> bits in the manifest are .NET 4 bits. So if you are using mage 4, you should target .NET 4 (only).

Can you create a small test app that has the problem and post it to http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio (I'd include both versions of mage in the zip file, renaming them to indicate which is which). If you do that and post it back here, I'll send it to the ClickOnce product lead.

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:08 AM
  • I found that http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msiclickonce/archive/2010/08/03/clickonce-net-4-0-errors-quot-deployment-manifest-is-not-semantically-valid-quot-and-quot-deployment-manifest-is-missing-lt-compatibleframeworks-gt-quot.aspx describes my error message exactly when using the latest version of mage from the NETFX 4.0 directory. It says that you need to add:

TargetFrameworkMoniker=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"

to the GenerateDeploymentTask MSBUILD task so that it generates the <compatibleFrameworks> tag in the manifest... How do I get this tag just using mage.exe command line tool?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:11 PM
  • I found that http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msiclickonce/archive/2010/08/03/clickonce-net-4-0-errors-quot-deployment-manifest-is-not-semantically-valid-quot-and-quot-deployment-manifest-is-missing-lt-compatibleframeworks-gt-quot.aspx describes my error message exactly when using the latest version of mage from the NETFX 4.0 directory. It says that you need to add:

TargetFrameworkMoniker=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"

to the GenerateDeploymentTask MSBUILD task so that it generates the <compatibleFrameworks> tag in the manifest... How do I get this tag just using mage.exe command line tool?

@Simon: Did you figure out how to do this?
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:48 PM
  • I faced the same issue with the upgrade, but issue got resolved in a blink by the solution Proposed by nhale  on Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:14 PM.

Thanks NHale!!

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Faced similar issue with the migration from 3.5 to 4.0, but issue got resolved in a blink by the solution Proposed by nhale

After applying nhale solution, got below issue, which is resolved by Simon's fix on August 10, 2010 4:11 PM.

+ Deployment manifest is not semantically valid.
      + Deployment manifest is missing <compatibleFrameworks>. on Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:14 PM.after applying Nhale's fix, got below issue:

Although TargetFrameworkMoniker was not allowed in GenerateDeploymentManifest, Resolution is: dont forget to use ToolsVersion ="4.0" as shown in below line.

<Project DefaultTargets="NgimCustomBuild" xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../2003" ToolsVersion ="4.0">

Thanks,

Ashish.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Had a same issue. At the end it appears that application manifest not having entry point defined. Open application manifest in MageUI tool and see, under Files, that Entry file is correctly set.
    • Proposed as answer by MarkoJ Monday, February 17, 2014 10:11 PM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 10:08 PM