none
Clickonce - What is the difference between data file and data file (auto)

Question

•  

Clickonce - What is the difference between data file and data file (auto) as it applies to databases like ssce? And as it applies to a flat file?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:04 PM

Answers

•  

Hi manofhowell,

They are almost the same; the only difference is that the Data File (auto) shows you the it is set by Visual Studio by default.

For more information, please check:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kzy0fky2(VS.80).aspx

Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Sunday, February 03, 2008 12:42 PM
  • The behavoir for the 'data file' is the same as a 'data file (auto)'.  The '(auto)' just lets you know that Visual Studio is guessing that the file should be treated as a data file.  I believe Visual Studio treats .mdb, .mdf and .xml files as data files by default.

I believe a data file is moved to the .pre directory when the client version of the data file is changed and the server version of the data file is also changed.

Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:36 PM

All replies

• I forgot to mention that these are properties of publish/ application files

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:07 PM
  •  

Hi manofhowell,

They are almost the same; the only difference is that the Data File (auto) shows you the it is set by Visual Studio by default.

For more information, please check:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kzy0fky2(VS.80).aspx

Hope this helps.
    Best regards.
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Sunday, February 03, 2008 12:42 PM
  • The link posted does in the previous note does not give you details about the behavior of
    "data file" and "data file (auto)".

So let me rephrase the question.

What is the behavior of data file (auto) ?

What is the behavior of data file?

Here is what I'm looking for. Does "data file" always move the marked file to the client and create a .pre directory?

Does data file (auto) only copy files to the client when there is a new file in the current build?

On my client and in the application data directory if I change the ssce db by adding or deleting data it appears as if the file is moved over to the new application data directory when the client updates with clickonce.

For the above questions when does the clickonce app not create a .pre directory?

Monday, February 04, 2008 12:56 PM
  • The behavoir for the 'data file' is the same as a 'data file (auto)'.  The '(auto)' just lets you know that Visual Studio is guessing that the file should be treated as a data file.  I believe Visual Studio treats .mdb, .mdf and .xml files as data files by default.

I believe a data file is moved to the .pre directory when the client version of the data file is changed and the server version of the data file is also changed.

Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:36 PM