none
Problem with publishing in VB 2005 Express

Question

• I have seen some other posts where the user gets the message "Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor"

I am having the same problem. I thought this might be connected with the SQL database I was using (I hadn't copied it into the project directory). So, as a test, I created a new form, consisting of one button which displayed a MessageBox in the click event.

When I publish this, I get the same error message when I run the .exe file.

The exception details are listed below.

Also, I am unable to use the File.Encrypt method and get an error that suggests that my file system is not NTFS although it claims that it is NTFS.

Could there be some kind of problem with my .net installation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rich%20&%20Liz/My%20Documents/Visual%20Basic/Test%20project/Hello.application
     Application url   : file:///D:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rich%20&%20Liz/My%20Documents/Visual%20Basic/Test%20project/Hello_1_0_0_1/Hello.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : Hello.application, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa05562d4c9dd277, processorArchitecture=msil
     Application Identity  : Hello.exe, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa05562d4c9dd277, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of D:\Documents and Settings\Rich & Liz\My Documents\Visual Basic\Test project\Hello.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Value does not fall within the expected range.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [07/09/2006 21:09:51] : Activation of D:\Documents and Settings\Rich & Liz\My Documents\Visual Basic\Test project\Hello.application has started.
     * [07/09/2006 21:09:52] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [07/09/2006 21:09:52] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [07/09/2006 21:09:52] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [07/09/2006 21:09:52] System.ArgumentException
      - Value does not fall within the expected range.
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
       at System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String[] manifestPaths)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ActivationDescription.ToActivationContext()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Friday, September 08, 2006 2:20 PM

Answers

• I seem to have found the answer to this problem - hopefully this will be of some use to someone else.

When I originally set up the PC, I created an account called Rich & Liz. I therefore have a folder called Rich & Liz (along with "All Users" etc.) which forms part of the path when I publish my file.

It is this that causes the problem - if I publish to a different location that does not include "Rich & Liz" in the title - everything works just fine.

Unfortunately, it won't let me rename this folder to remove the problem that way. I have renamed the user account but the folder remains obstinate!

Rich

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:50 PM

All replies

• In my experience (limited) most of this kind of errors mean either there is a bug in your code or one or other dll is missing. Can you run the app in debug mode without any error?
    Friday, September 08, 2006 3:13 PM
  • There isn't a lot to go wrong - I literally did a test with just one button and a message box in the click event. It works fine in debugging.

Rich

Friday, September 08, 2006 6:25 PM
  • I seem to have found the answer to this problem - hopefully this will be of some use to someone else.

When I originally set up the PC, I created an account called Rich & Liz. I therefore have a folder called Rich & Liz (along with "All Users" etc.) which forms part of the path when I publish my file.

It is this that causes the problem - if I publish to a different location that does not include "Rich & Liz" in the title - everything works just fine.

Unfortunately, it won't let me rename this folder to remove the problem that way. I have renamed the user account but the folder remains obstinate!

Rich

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 2:50 PM