none
Activation failed - The system cannot find the file specified error...

Question

• We are using ClickOnce to distribute our application. The application is available in offline mode and also the check for updates mode is set to "Before application starts".

Below is the error message that I get when I publish a new version and launch the application from the start menu. I get this error only if I have an earlier version of the same application installed on my machine. If I uninstall the application and install after or try to install the same application on a machine that does have it, it works just fine. So it seems that the problem is mostly related with the update.

I would really appreciate if you can take a look at the error message below and provide you insights.

Thanks,

Murat

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   :
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/%UserName%/Application%20Data/Microsoft/Internet%20Explorer/Quick%20Launch/Enigma.appref-ms
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
          X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
     Deployment Provider url  :
    %Provider url%

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\%userName%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Enigma.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Activation failed.
      + The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [2/7/2007 9:28:30 AM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\%userName%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Enigma.appref-ms has started.
     * [2/7/2007 9:28:30 AM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [2/7/2007 9:28:31 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (Activation)
      - Activation failed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, TempFile& deployFile)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      - The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Friday, March 02, 2007 9:40 PM

All replies

• I've got the same error:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\lupjw\Desktop\VCI4CapitalGain.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

WARNINGS

* [28.03.2007 08:13:28] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\lupjw\Desktop\VCI4CapitalGain.appref-ms has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [28.03.2007 08:13:28] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
      - The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.GetAssemblyManifest(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, TempFile& deployFile)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Tried to uninstall the App and reinstall but the problem persists.
    Any solution???

Thanks

Edika
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Both cases seem to be somehow that storage got corrupted. If you can uninstall the application, try doing that and then attemot a reinstall.
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:14 AM
  • I had a similar problem. Clearing the cache helped. You normally find this under

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0

I had cleared this as well.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Hope it helps.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:35 PM
  • how do you clear the cache on a vista box
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 2:58 PM

• It's here:  C:Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

I am also facing same problem while installing clickonce application as per the discussion i cleared cache but still facing same problem. Please help me to fix this problem.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:58 AM
  • What is the error? Is it "activation failed", the same exact error as the first post in this thread??

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:27 AM
  • This problem drove me crazy for two days. Then, I read your post ! Tanks, my friend, it works now
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:09 AM
  • this was due to my virus guard removing the file.   (Norton)   have to excluded it from being scanned and quarantined.

martincz
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:24 AM
  • I think it s the same error as mine:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)":null

But this is from a Win App, not an ASP.Net application. I even tried clearing the temporary folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

But no luck. Any other way out?

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:19 AM
  • Did you check and make sure your virus scanning software isn't interfering? I know there's frequently a problem with Kaspersky.

RobinDotNet

Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:20 AM
  • I'm having an identical problem.

Every time I uninstall it works the on the first install and then all updates throw the error below.

I've tried clearing the ClickOnce cache and checked all anti-virus software.

Are there any other known causes of this issue?

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
    	Windows 			: 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
    	Common Language Runtime 	: 4.0.30319.17929
    	System.Deployment.dll 		: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    	clr.dll 			: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    	dfdll.dll 			: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    	dfshim.dll 			: 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES

IDENTITIES

ERROR SUMMARY
    	* Activation of C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\MyApp\MyApp.appref-ms| resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
    		+ The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

WARNINGS

ERROR DETAILS
    	* [13/05/2013 22:53:36] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    		- The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
    		- Stack trace:
    			at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.PatchFiles(SubscriptionState subState)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ConsumeUpdatedDeployment(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentUpdate(SubscriptionState& subState, String& errorPageUrl)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, String& errorPageUrl, TempFile& deployFile)
    			at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

Tom

Monday, May 13, 2013 10:34 PM
  • This might help.

Have you tried:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567/en-us

Method 2: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:25 AM