none
How to change a property path in the File System Editor?

Question

• Hi,

I'm building an installer in Visual Studio 2005 in  C#, based on a solution where I have multiple Installer class for different projects. I call my installer class from a Custom Action.

I would like to change the property of a File System Property entry before the copy of the file.The path is requested to the user during the Custom action execution.

I can't use the default requested installation path because I have 3 differents path to manage during the installation

How to retrieve from Custom Action the paths values selected by the user?

I already try to pass data trough Context.Parameters keys but it's not working.

Any solution can be usefull. Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 2:13 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure about that "change the property.... .. before the copy" thing. Your custom action will not run until after the installation is pretty much completed, so it's too late to change something like a destination directory.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:33 PM

All replies

• Your best bet is probably to use the CustomActionData property of your custom action.  See the following for helpful info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxgrfcustomactiondataproperty.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxwlkwalkthroughpassingdatatocustomaction.asp

I am also curious as to what you plan to do with this path.  Perhaps there is something that could be done without resorting to a custom action?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:09 PM
  • I'm not sure about that "change the property.... .. before the copy" thing. Your custom action will not run until after the installation is pretty much completed, so it's too late to change something like a destination directory.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:33 PM
  • You right,

I can't change the property of the installation path of FileSystem entry.

I was plan to ask the user to choose the destination folder for different parts of my application (Data, Cots, Temporary, etc...) but there is a big mess in the Visual Studio Install parts, you can't do all you want. And a don't want to have a third party installation program.

• Tell me one think, How do you will proceed to install an application containing:
    • Cots software (like Vendor engine to be placed at a specific place)
    • Web Folder (to be placed at a different drive)
    • Data storage and manipulation engine (to a user defined place)

I would like to do this in one installer.

By the way I also install .Net 2.0 as a requirement for the installer.

Thanks for your comments.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:16 AM