none
Deploy WPF application with SQL Server CE 3.5 Database using InstallShield Limited Edition for Visual Studio 2010 for Windows 7. Which Directory does the Database need to be in?

Question

• Hi All

The title pretty much says it all.

Using InstallShield Limited Edition i created a setup project for my application and database. It being my 1st setup project, i dumped all the files in one folder for the installation.

Installing it on Windows XP is ok. The application runs and works.

Installing it on Windows 7 however gives me the error message:

"Access to the Database file is not allowed ".

With the help of many days of googling, i discovered that the Database needs to be in some special folder in Windows 7. I just dont know how or where to set this in the InstallShield LE project.

Running the applicaiton in Windows 7 as Administrator (right click -> run as admin) makes it work, but thats not what i'm aiming for.

Any Suggestions?

Regards,

GaaTY
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:11 AM

Answers

• Hi GaaTY,

Program Files folder tree is protected and by default is 'readonly' without LUA elevation, and hence the issue.  You should move the database files from program files folder to a user profile folder.

You can according the following image to display the user profile folder, and then drag the Database folder to the [USERPROFILE] folder.

Or you can just right click on the [Database] folder and open the property page, then edit the folder's permission.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Instead just moving the Database to the right folder, i dumped the whole installation to the [USERPROFILE] folder. Works 100% now.

Thanks Mike for the Assistance!

• Marked as answer by GaaTY Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:21 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:21 AM

All replies