none
System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Question

• hi all,

i was under the impression that using the System.Data.OracleClient namespace will allow me to deploy my application without having the client machine install any OracleClient software besides the .Net Framework 2.0 which if i'm not mistaken, contains the System.Data.OracleClient.dll.

but after creating a WinForm application and then publishing it thru ClickOnce , i found myself getting this error when running the application on the client machine.

is this a normal behavior or did i do something wrong in the process?

thanks
    Friday, April 10, 2009 2:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Paranoia,

The MSDN document Oracle and ADO.NET says:

"The .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle provides access to an Oracle database using the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) as provided by Oracle Client software. The functionality of the data provider is designed to be similar to that of the .NET Framework data providers for SQL Server, OLE DB, and ODBC. "

The MSDN document System Requirements (Oracle) says:

"The .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle requires Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.6 or later. MDAC 2.8 SP1 is recommended. You must also have Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Client or later installed. "

Both the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle and Oracle Data Provider for .NET are data providers to access Oracle database. The former ships with .NET Framework and requires Oracle client version 8.1.7 or above. The latter is provided by Oracle company and requires Oracle client version 9.2 or later.

The Oracle Data Provider for .NET (ODP.NET) features optimized ADO.NET data access to the Oracle database. ODP.NET allows developers to take advantage of advanced Oracle database functionality, including Real Application Clusters, XML DB, and advanced security.

See the document Comparing the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Data Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Data Provider for .NET for more information about the difference.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

• Marked as answer by Linda Liu Friday, April 17, 2009 2:33 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:38 AM

All replies

• System.Data.OracleClient talks with the Oracle client software. It can not replace the Oracle client software. If Oracle allows redistributing the client software, publish it with your application.
    You can also switch to OLEDB or ODBC. Oracle supports these standards.

MSMVP VC++
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:47 PM
  • hi,

thanks for the response.

if this is the case, i was just wondering what reason is there to use System.Data.OracleClient over the ODP.Net provided by Oracle?

do you know of any links that supports your information... it's not that i don't trust you or anything but this will have a big impact on the client and i would want to be able to give them hard facts when they ask.

thanks.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:31 AM
  • Hi Paranoia,

The MSDN document Oracle and ADO.NET says:

"The .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle provides access to an Oracle database using the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) as provided by Oracle Client software. The functionality of the data provider is designed to be similar to that of the .NET Framework data providers for SQL Server, OLE DB, and ODBC. "

The MSDN document System Requirements (Oracle) says:

"The .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle requires Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.6 or later. MDAC 2.8 SP1 is recommended. You must also have Oracle 8i Release 3 (8.1.7) Client or later installed. "

Both the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle and Oracle Data Provider for .NET are data providers to access Oracle database. The former ships with .NET Framework and requires Oracle client version 8.1.7 or above. The latter is provided by Oracle company and requires Oracle client version 9.2 or later.

The Oracle Data Provider for .NET (ODP.NET) features optimized ADO.NET data access to the Oracle database. ODP.NET allows developers to take advantage of advanced Oracle database functionality, including Real Application Clusters, XML DB, and advanced security.

See the document Comparing the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Data Provider for Oracle and the Oracle Data Provider for .NET for more information about the difference.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Linda Liu

• Marked as answer by Linda Liu Friday, April 17, 2009 2:33 AM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:38 AM
  • hi,

thank you very much for your help and for the information.

much appreciated.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:39 PM