none
Click once deployment error : Cannot download the application.The appliction is missing require files.

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows application which had be deployed using clickonce. I went into publish tab in the properties of the solution.I entered the Publishing folder as a local hard disk path(eg: e:\Test).Since i dont have any Installation folder URL, i left that as blank.Since i want the install of the option to happen from a web page, i went into option and entered the deployment web page as test.htm and also checked the checkbox saying Automatically generate deployment page after every publish. Even the web page created works fine if i click on install and click the run option.But if i click on Install button on the deployment page and then click on save option and then try to run the app from saved location, i get an error saying "Cannot download the application.The appliction is missing require files.". When i clicked on details i got the following error :

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
        Windows             : 6.1.7600.0 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.1
        System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/Gaurav/Downloads/WindowsFormsApplication1.application

ERROR SUMMARY
        Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
        * Activation of C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
            + Downloading file:///C:/Users/Gaurav/Downloads/WindowsFormsApplication1.application did not succeed.
            + Could not find file 'C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application'.
            + Could not find file 'C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
        No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
        There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
        * [31-Jul-11 7:55:08 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
        Following errors were detected during this operation.
        * [31-Jul-11 7:55:08 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
            - Downloading file:///C:/Users/Gaurav/Downloads/WindowsFormsApplication1.application did not succeed.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
                at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
                at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
                at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
                at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
                at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
            --- Inner Exception ---
            System.Net.WebException
            - Could not find file 'C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application'.
            - Source: System
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
                at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
                at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
            --- Inner Exception ---
            System.Net.WebException
            - Could not find file 'C:\Users\Gaurav\Downloads\WindowsFormsApplication1.application'.
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
                at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
            --- Inner Exception ---
            System.IO.FileNotFoundException
            - Source: mscorlib
            - Stack trace:
                at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
                at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
                at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
                at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
                at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
                at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
        No transaction information is available.

Please help as its pretty urgent.Thanks in advance!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Garuav,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

As I look through the questions, it seems that you publish it to a local folder. So, when you open the publshed click once applications, there is no need to download and executed straightly. ClickOnce deployment allows you to publish Windows-based applications to a Web server or network file share for simplified installation.  So, you will need to publish it to a web server or a network file share!

If you have any questions, please feel free to tell us.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:06 AM

All replies

• I published a Windows application using click once method.Had an exe,application and htm file created in the location i specified.When i click on install button from my .htm page, i get save and run option.If i go for run option, the application gets installed properly.But if i save it saves the .exe file in a local path.I i try to run the saved .exe file get the error : "Cannot download the application.The application is missing required files.".When i went for the details found the following error message.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.3623
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ggaurav001/My%20Documents/QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Downloading file:///C:/Documents and Settings/ggaurav001/My Documents/QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application did not succeed.
      + Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application'.
      + Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [7/29/2011 7:12:29 AM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [7/29/2011 7:12:30 AM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
      - Downloading file:///C:/Documents and Settings/ggaurav001/My Documents/QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application did not succeed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application'.
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\ggaurav001\My Documents\QuantitativeSolutionsLoader.application'.
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
       at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Have been trying to resolve this for 2 days now.Please help. Any guidance will be really appreciated.

• Merged by Neddy Ren Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:49 AM duplicated
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi Garuav,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

As I look through the questions, it seems that you publish it to a local folder. So, when you open the publshed click once applications, there is no need to download and executed straightly. ClickOnce deployment allows you to publish Windows-based applications to a Web server or network file share for simplified installation.  So, you will need to publish it to a web server or a network file share!

If you have any questions, please feel free to tell us.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:06 AM