none
How can I load an image into picturebox at runtime?

Question

• Hello All;

I’ve done everything which I could, but no one was useful. As I found at MSDN I wrote something like this code:

// You should replace the bolded image

// in the sample below with an icon of your own choosing.

// Note the escape character used (@) when specifying the path.

pictureBox1.Image = Image.FromFile

(System.Environment.GetFolderPath

(System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyPictures)

+ @"\Image.gif");

It doesn’t work as I want, because I should always give nearly the full path.( System.Environment.SpecialFolder. …)

But I’m sure someway should be exist which I can just point to the Image Folder of my application. As we do at any Web Application.(\Images\myicon.ico)

Therefore I just want to know the specific way that I can point to my image folder with out concerning about where my application is located.

Hope you have done this before and can help me.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 4:45 PM

Answers

• VB.net code

picBox_SelectedPhoto.Image.Dispose()
     picBox_SelectedPhoto.Image = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(Environment.CurrentDirectory & "\Blank.JPG")
     picBox_SelectedPhoto.Text = "Blank"
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:26 PM

All replies

• You are using the special folders which appear to work - I'm not sure why you are using the @ character.  I'm using VB not C#

But here's some examples

These will reference the application directory or current directory
    Dim sFolderName As String = My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath '//Current Application Directory

Dim sfoldername As String = System.IO.Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() '//.NET way fo getting current directory

Dim sfoldername As String = CurDir() '//Old VB6 way of getting current directory

These will reference the special Folders
    Dim soldername as string = My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.MyPictures '//VB 2005 way of getting special Folders

Dim sfoldername As String = (System.Environment.GetFolderPath(System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments)) '//Gets Current User My Documents Folder

The Problem you may have is that the Current User MyPictures path is not set.     If other special folders are working OK and its just the my pictures that isn't

I noticed this on a Windows 2003 machine.   So you may want to check the registry settings to confirm this.

'//May Work - if the My Pictures special Folder path is defined - Check Registry HKEY_Current_User\Software\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellFolder\My Pictures

Dim sfoldername As String = (System.Environment.GetFolderPath(System.Environment.SpecialFolder.MyPictures))

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 6:09 PM
  • VB.net code

picBox_SelectedPhoto.Image.Dispose()
     picBox_SelectedPhoto.Image = System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(Environment.CurrentDirectory & "\Blank.JPG")
     picBox_SelectedPhoto.Text = "Blank"
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:26 PM