none
The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found.

Question

• Hi,

I have a service setup. It has one shortcut in application folder (In Users program menu). When I try to install installation has completed with no issues. But after installation when I click the shortcut the service application is re-installing again and showing error like "Error 1001. The specified service already exists". If I click "OK" of the error dialog if is showing a dialog "Fatal error during installation." with the title "Problem with shortcut". I am using C# for the development. Event log is as below

Source: MsiInstaller

Event ID: 11001

The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found.
    The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
    You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: JTB Process Service -- Error 1001. Error 1001. The specified service already exists, (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

0000: 7b 39 30 37 43 33 46 46   {907C3FF
    0008: 39 2d 35 41 38 46 2d 34   9-5A8F-4
    0010: 44 44 42 2d 41 37 32 42   DDB-A72B
    0018: 2d 33 44 43 45 39 45 30   -3DCE9E0
    0020: 41 42 34 39 35 7d         AB495} 

Also when I install the client setup same thing is happening for the first time (But it is not showing any error). Second time the client application shortcut is working fine. How can I overcome this problem? Can you any one help me for this. It is very urgent for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Jayahar

• Moved by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:51 AM Deployment issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:02 PM

Answers

• When it does the repair (see reply to your other post) your install custom action is being called again. You can use a condition on your install custom action of Not Installed to prevent this (and that's case sensitive). The Installed property is a standard Windows Installer property that is set if the product is already installed. 
    Or you can add an override to the Install method that calls base.Install only if the service does not already exist.
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:16 AM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Jayahar,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum to the "ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects" forum, since the issue is related to deployment. There are more deployment experts in the "ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects" forum.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Thank you Chen!
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:38 AM
  • What are you using to install your service? Are you using the Publish tab in Visual Studio, or creating a Setup & Deployment project?

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:40 AM
  • I am using creating a Setup & Deployment project.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:24 AM
  • When it does the repair (see reply to your other post) your install custom action is being called again. You can use a condition on your install custom action of Not Installed to prevent this (and that's case sensitive). The Installed property is a standard Windows Installer property that is set if the product is already installed. 
    Or you can add an override to the Install method that calls base.Install only if the service does not already exist.
    Phil Wilson
    • Marked as answer by Bruce.Zhou Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:16 AM
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:53 PM
  • If your MSI program writes to the Windows Log or create a New Windows Log, then you need to check for following registry entries created by the application on previous installation and delete them:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet0001\Services\EventLog\<Your Log>\Sources

remove <Application Name>

Delete Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet0001\Services\EventLog\<Your Log>\ <Application Name>

One of the scenarios when this error can occur is when you install a windows service as a network service and change the service account to Local service account and run it, subsequently when you try to remove and re-install the windows service the Log entries are not removed form the registry and cause this issue.

Friday, May 28, 2010 8:26 PM