none
ClickOnce Fails with "Value does not fall within the expected range."

Question

• I have a ClickOnce-deployed application installed in offline mode across a range of Windows 2000/XP machines on my network. I now receive an 'Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.' error message when I attempt to run the application on my development machine. (It works still on the production machines.)

I've run mage -cc, and renamed the '2.0' directory to '2.0x' to ignore its presence. Add/Remove Programs still shows it, and clicking Change/Remove pops up a window for a moment, but otherwise does nothing apparent.

I've changed the installation path to be a network path instead of a website, and it still fails.
    The following is the error log:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
        Windows             : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 2.0.50727.42
        System.Deployment.dll         : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        mscorwks.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        dfdll.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        dfshim.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///M:/COLoader/CutoffLoader.application

ERROR SUMMARY
        Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
        * Activation of M:\COLoader\CutoffLoader.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
            + Value does not fall within the expected range.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
        No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
        There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
        * [4/25/2006 3:24:04 PM] : Activation of M:\COLoader\CutoffLoader.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
        Following errors were detected during this operation.
        * [4/25/2006 3:24:04 PM] System.ArgumentException
            - Value does not fall within the expected range.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
                at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
                at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
                at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
                at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
        No transaction information is available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Taylor Meek
    Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:27 PM

Answers

• Well, it could have something to do with the other components in the project.

We used to target "any cpu", and had to change it to x86 in order to get it to work on 64-bit machines.

For us, this is because we use DirectX, and it only supports 32-bit machines. So even though we put all of the DirectX code in its own project that targeted x86, we had to have our startup project also target x86.

I would wonder if compiling to "any cpu" on a 64-bit machine would cause a problem. You'd think MSFT would think of that, but they've missed stuff before. (I'm resisting the urge to mention Windows Vista) ;-)

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Make sure you don't have any mismatched version numbers on the Infragistics stuff, or any circular references. I.E. did you delete all of the references in your project to the Infragistics dll's and recreate the references so they point to the exact right version?

We store DLL's in our project, and I tried replacing one that we create in another project without recreating the reference, since the version numbers are the same. It SO didn't work.

Also, don't you have to install some kind of prerequisite on the user's machine in order to use Infragistics controls?  Are you deploying dll's locally instead, and does it work?

RobinDotNet
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I too have the Infragistics dll and still have the problem off and on.  What I had to do was take a previous version that did successfull click once deployment, gradually add in my changes using the beyond compare utility except of course the solution and the project.  Then I am successfully able to publish again and have the users be able to run the application.  So I guess the key is something to do with the Infragistics controls.
    Linda Rawson at Sensory Technology
    • Proposed as answer by DmNz Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobinDotNetMVP, Moderator Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:01 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I’ve finally resolved my ClickOnce deployment issues. Actually there were two somewhat related issues which made hunting them down even more difficult.
    The solution was as follows:
    After upgrading Infragistics dll’s (or any other dll's I'd guess) to the newer version Rebuild (better yet Clean and Build) the Solution.
    Then I went to Project’s Properties -> Publish Tab -> Application Files. Some (why not all?) of the Infragistics dll’s were not Included in the publish build.
    Just in case I clicked Reset All button and re-included all the Infragistics dll’s in the build again. Then I re-published the new version, cleaned the ClickOnce repository and it started working on most of the machines.

One of the users was still getting "The application requires that assembly <Assembly Name> be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first" - also a very confusing error message.
    I found a reference to a custom built library that was developed by a guy who is now gone (that’s why I didn’t know about it right away).
    So that project was not included in the main Solution, but instead the solution was referencing a compiled dll. The project was referencing Infragistics dll’s and was not upgraded to the new version.
    So when I built the whole Solution the reference to the old version was added indirectly and ClickOnce deployment failed to run with “The application requires that assembly <Assembly Name> be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first" error.
    The solution for the problem is very obvious: I upgraded the custom component to the new version of the Infragistics dll’s, copied the compiled dll to the main Solution, re-built and re-published the Solution and it’s now working for everybody.

• Proposed as answer by DmNz Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobinDotNetMVP, Moderator Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:32 PM
  • There you go. As I suggested, it was a mismatch in the references. Congrats on getting it fixed!

RobinDotNet
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:48 PM

All replies

• Taylor, this is very interesting. Thank you very much for reporting the issue. We have seen this problem very rarely and were never able to reproduce it on our side. A great help would be if you can let us know, how did you get into that state. Alternatively if you can zip 2.0 folder contents and  export reg keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment  and send to me, I might be able to recreate your scenario on my machine and then debug it out. There is one issue here, that contents of 2.0 folder may have something you do not want to share. In that case do not send it, we may need to figure out some other way of debugging the issue.

Friday, April 28, 2006 9:07 PM
  • I've got the same problem and do not know what to do. The source appers to be the mscorlib. If you find an aswer, please share it.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.42
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   :
    file:///C:/Meus%20documentos/Visual%20Studio%202005/Programas%20Trabalhistas/Acordos%20Trabalhistas%20Word&Open/Acordos%20Trabalhistas.application
     Application url   : file:///C:/Meus%20documentos/Visual%20Studio%202005/Programas%20Trabalhistas/Acordos%20Trabalhistas%20Word&Open/Acordos%20Trabalhistas_2_0_0_0/Acordos%20Trabalhistas.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : Acordos Trabalhistas.application, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=595c38c0162eacff, processorArchitecture=msil
     Application Identity  : Acordos Trabalhistas.exe, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=595c38c0162eacff, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of C:\Meus documentos\Visual Studio 2005\Programas Trabalhistas\Acordos Trabalhistas Word&Open\Acordos Trabalhistas.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [18/5/2006 19:04:37] : Activation of C:\Meus documentos\Visual Studio 2005\Programas Trabalhistas\Acordos Trabalhistas Word&Open\Acordos Trabalhistas.application has started.
     * [18/5/2006 19:04:37] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [18/5/2006 19:04:37] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [18/5/2006 19:04:37] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [18/5/2006 19:04:38] System.ArgumentException
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
       at System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String[] manifestPaths)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ActivationDescription.ToActivationContext()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Thursday, May 18, 2006 10:19 PM
  • I have same issue. anyone know how to fix
    Friday, May 19, 2006 3:53 PM
  • I also have the same issue.  App won't launch.  Any updates would be helpful.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 3:56 PM
  • The issue seems to be having an inplace update attempt of the deployment manifest. Whidbey ClickOnce unfortunately does not give a reasonable error message. Basically you will hit this problem when

- You have installed Deployment v1.0 (say D1) with application v1.0 (A1) on your machine.

- Now you have made change in your application, possibly adding new files or assemblies but you do not revise the version of the application manifest (keeping it still 1.0). Say this new application is A1'.

- You generate new deployment manifest, again ignored updating its version, although contents have changed (D1').

- Now any attempt to install D1'-A1' combination will give the error you have mentioned.

ClickOnce does not support such scenario where deployment or application content is changed but version is not revised. But this could be common in development time, and at this moment a menaingful error message is absent. To avoid this problem

- Update versions of deployment and application manifest

- Or uninstall older version, and reinstall the newer one. 

Friday, October 06, 2006 11:56 PM
  • I started having the same problem yesterday. I had made some changes to the application in question and published the new version, then discovered a problem and published a newer version soon after. When I tried to run the application it informed me of a new version and I clicked yes to download. I immediately got the error everyone else is getting. I uninstalled the application and tried to reinstall from the htm screen on the publised site and got the same error on install. The "+ Value does not fall within the expected range." message tells me nothing. Help!

Error info:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///H:/AppMaster/AppMaster.application
     Deployment Provider url  : file://fileserver/public/AppMaster/AppMaster.application
     Application url   : file://fileserver/public/AppMaster/AppMaster_1_0_0_29/AppMaster.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : AppMaster.application, Version=1.0.0.29, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=83b64f2dd6e54e1d, processorArchitecture=msil
     Application Identity  : AppMaster.exe, Version=1.0.0.29, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=83b64f2dd6e54e1d, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

ERROR SUMMARY
     * Activation of file:///H:/AppMaster/AppMaster.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [10/12/2006 8:13:02 AM] : Activation of file:///H:/AppMaster/AppMaster.application has started.
     * [10/12/2006 8:13:05 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [10/12/2006 8:13:05 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [10/12/2006 8:13:06 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
     * [10/12/2006 8:13:06 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [10/12/2006 8:13:06 AM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.LockApplicationPath(IDefinitionAppId app)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.PatchFiles(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)

Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:18 PM
  • Could you translate this into a plainer "do this" post, please? I am encountering the same issue, and I have been in the habit of doing the following for every ClickOnce publish of a VB2005 app:

- update assembly version (in My Project/Application/Assembly Information) by manually incrementing

- update file version (in My Project/Application/Assembly Information) by manually incrementing

- update publish version (in My Project/Publish) by manually incrementing

- update minimum version (in My Project/Publish/Updates)

I have been in the practice of setting all these to exactly the same value. For example, I recently deployed an updated build, and changed all versions above from 2.2.3.5 to 2.2.4.0 and got the problem. I have never *not* changed the versions prior to a ClickOnce publish.

If you could post about what I am doing wrong, or not doing (and add this to some sort of "you must do this for ClickOnce to work..." doc or better yet fix Visual Studio so all these separate versions can be managed in one place) I would appreciate it a lot, since I have an understandably unhappy client.

Additional information that may or may not be relevant: in addition to all the usual VB2005 files, I am also deploying a VB6/COM app plus several COM DLLs that my client needs. Basically, I am launching the VB/COM app from the VB2005 app when the client needs the legacy functionality (credit where credit due, got this idea from an article on MSDN). In order to make the COM DLLs work without regsvr32, I am also deploying a [legacy app name].exe.manifest file to enable the client systems to use one particular COM DLL that is getting deployed with the app. I have *not* been changing the version in this manifest file. I have had the VB6/COM exe and DLLs set to deploy always and also only when changed; this seems to not have made any difference in functionality. The legacy app name is completely different from the VB2005 app name. Below is the content of the legacy manifest file in case it could be causing problems...

Thanks - Patrick

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<asmv1:assembly manifestVersion="1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1 assembly.adaptive.xsd" xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<asmv1:assemblyIdentity name="[hidden].exe" version="1.0.0.50" publicKeyToken="0000000000000000" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="x86" type="win32" />

<file name="msstdfmt.dll" asmv2:size="118784" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<hash xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">

<dsig:Transforms>

<dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />

</dsig:Transforms>

<dsig:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />

<dsig:DigestValue>QXhzyMP4rsQTylneRNT1YNRxUg4=</dsig:DigestValue>

</hash>

<typelib tlbid="{6b263850-900b-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" version="1.0" helpdir="C:\WINDOWS\system32\vb98.chm" resourceid="0" flags="HASDISKIMAGE" />

<comClass clsid="{2b11e9b0-9f09-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" threadingModel="Apartment" tlbid="{6b263850-900b-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" progid="MSSTDFMT.StdDataValue.1" description="StdDataValue Object" />

<comClass clsid="{6d835690-900b-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" threadingModel="Apartment" tlbid="{6b263850-900b-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" progid="MSSTDFMT.StdDataFormat.1" description="StdDataFormat Object" />

<comClass clsid="{99ff4677-ffc3-11d0-bd02-00c04fc2fb86}" threadingModel="Apartment" tlbid="{6b263850-900b-11d0-9484-00a0c91110ed}" progid="MSSTDFMT.StdDataFormats.1" description="StdDataFormats Object" />

</file>

</asmv1:assembly>

Thursday, October 12, 2006 9:48 PM
  • I am recieveing this error on first install, so the above solution deons't make senxe to me?  This attached is my applicaiton manifest and I can't seem to see any issues with it but this is the first time I've looked at one?

Has anyone found the cause or a work around to this issue?

Thanks,

Greg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <asmv1:assembly xsi:schemaLocation="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1 assembly.adaptive.xsd" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:asmv1="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" xmlns:asmv2="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2" xmlns:xrml="urn:mpeg:mpeg21:2003:01-REL-R-NS" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <assemblyIdentity name="TSPT.application" version="2.0.1.2" publicKeyToken="f46112656f702cd2" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />
      <description asmv2:publisher="TSPT" asmv2:product="TSPT" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />
      <deployment install="true" mapFileExtensions="true">
        <subscription>
          <update>
            <beforeApplicationStartup />
          </update>
        </subscription>
        <deploymentProvider codebase="file://shaker/cdtmfgstrat$/Perrego%20&amp;%20Assoc/TSPT/Install/TSPT.application" />
      </deployment>
      <dependency>
        <dependentAssembly dependencyType="install" codebase="TSPT_2_0_1_2\TSPT.exe.manifest" size="7138">
          <assemblyIdentity name="TSPT.exe" version="2.0.1.2" publicKeyToken="f46112656f702cd2" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" type="win32" />
          <hash>
            <dsig:Transforms>
              <dsig:Transform Algorithm="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:HashTransforms.Identity" />
            </dsig:Transforms>
            <dsig:DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" />
            <dsig:DigestValue>XUYxAmZeWQqYhVy1JlY2nLoNamk=</dsig:DigestValue>
          </hash>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </dependency>
    <publisherIdentity name="CN=SBS\gperrego" issuerKeyHash="aecde72af34e4e7a5bf4112a29abb126cb03920d" /><Signature Id="StrongNameSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>2JIqAbFyNoGiAnEfinwHdMNzWT4=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>NeQ4ByjFgpd2FGP+RArAR7fgtEpJFf8J0ZnpouCpFom8h0elRh40/Uhut4d9ZozhBpQWmfdmWeSlzmDdyEKDNtwYulcHIyyAzPhuztmbfe54sovYpiJOizoYMTXHAW5IEc6wNt+Rmtzo/q+CM/OIklvd//mROLJuWhi2Oc8ALrM=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo Id="StrongNameKeyInfo"><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>skw+VnpjrdqTTsiKgusf9nOAUhMfJ/8dGLigcoKBd73LQVUBXxWsZFiFgfebyP/x4agEmGJvB6w9LOb83lnTyCkcZShwFvFcIJ+8jgs1/KGU8mumZTFcRKtq1svs3+h0dXGL2C+0GcitB/ys9LDRATxmdm7PPM4rJET9AckCoi0=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><msrel:RelData xmlns:msrel="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/rel/2005/reldata"><r:license xmlns:r="urn:mpeg:mpeg21:2003:01-REL-R-NS" xmlns:as="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/pki/2005/Authenticode"><r:grant><as:ManifestInformation Hash="3e5973c374077c8a1f7102a2813672b1012a92d8" Description="" Url=""><as:assemblyIdentity name="TSPT.application" version="2.0.1.2" publicKeyToken="f46112656f702cd2" language="neutral" processorArchitecture="msil" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" /></as:ManifestInformation><as:SignedBy /><as:AuthenticodePublisher><as:X509SubjectName>CN=SBS\gperrego</as:X509SubjectName></as:AuthenticodePublisher></r:grant><r:issuer><Signature Id="AuthenticodeSignature" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"><SignedInfo><CanonicalizationMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /><SignatureMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#rsa-sha1" /><Reference URI=""><Transforms><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#enveloped-signature" /><Transform Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#" /></Transforms><DigestMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1" /><DigestValue>HjtKGJuZ0LvuIwhpzSIGGHb91Mg=</DigestValue></Reference></SignedInfo><SignatureValue>Fbtfp0UZxIDeb4bj0AXtGdhvh+tQmhwM8Qxe1f512A4mBrVrpLjccseu5o/CRChHfYSWp39ZCPFCJXqX7GFuY1BBXqpCXDz+JNG5wSy0FO+UfGdu1HLAsts/rdmLi8jx3S0rA1aSU5nlUj39DLip5f5vNIu4aWFy7vsYjMVeQfk=</SignatureValue><KeyInfo><KeyValue><RSAKeyValue><Modulus>skw+VnpjrdqTTsiKgusf9nOAUhMfJ/8dGLigcoKBd73LQVUBXxWsZFiFgfebyP/x4agEmGJvB6w9LOb83lnTyCkcZShwFvFcIJ+8jgs1/KGU8mumZTFcRKtq1svs3+h0dXGL2C+0GcitB/ys9LDRATxmdm7PPM4rJET9AckCoi0=</Modulus><Exponent>AQAB</Exponent></RSAKeyValue></KeyValue><X509Data><X509Certificate>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</X509Certificate></X509Data></KeyInfo></Signature></r:issuer></r:license></msrel:RelData></KeyInfo></Signature></asmv1:assembly>

Here is antoher copy of the error.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [10/22/2006 4:36:51 PM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String[] manifestPaths)

Sunday, October 22, 2006 9:13 PM
  • This is still an issue for me and I am onsite doing an install, has there been any progress on this issue?

I recieve this error on first install.  Even if I remove all files from the file share and then re jpublish I get the error?

Thanks,

Greg P.

Friday, October 27, 2006 3:38 PM
  • I posted above about having this issue (I wrote about updating version numbers etc. and still seeing the problem, after trying to decipher the post about updating manifests and so on).

Have you tried to update assembly versions and also ClickOnce version (and minimum version number) as I describe above? Maybe that could help in your situation.

Good luck - Patrick

Friday, October 27, 2006 6:43 PM
  • If you are not installing for the first time, I would suspect it's the versioning problem I have described above. Try changing version of your application and deployment manifest, see if that solves the problem.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:48 AM
  • It could be something to do with the trust entries. Try caspol -reset all. Trust somehow got out of sync, most like by some manual intervention.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:52 AM
  • Sorry I did not see your comment previously. So in plain words if you hit this error do this:

- Update the version of your application manifest, resign.

- Then update version of deployment manifest and resign etc.

As long as they are different from anything you have already in your machine it should work.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:57 AM
  • Could you please describe exact steps you recommend (i.e. select this menu, click this button, etc.)? Please see my earlier post about what I already do versioning-wise and still get the problem, so I would like to see detailed steps you are recommending so I can see if I am missing anything.

Also the machines it is happening on for me have certainly never had anyone attempt manual intervention with any security policies.

Thanks - Patrick

Saturday, October 28, 2006 2:39 AM
  • I finally did get this working.  I'm not really sure what solved the issue.  I was attempting to publish the updates via VPN and I think the Windows user accounts caused some issues.  If I posted to my machine and then move the files over to the share drive it worked?  I'm not sure why?

I can still reproduce if I try to publish directly to the share... ?  If someone at microsoft want more info on this let me know. 

Thanks for your thoughts,

Greg P.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 7:14 PM
  • For what it's worth, I'm having the same problems as others here.

In my case, I'm deploying to my local IIS server (figuring if I get that working, I can try deploying to our "real" IIS server, or at least copy from my local one), and the application in question (if it matters) is a WinApp.

This is failing upon the first run (and every one thereafter), with similar messages to what others are reporting (the log is at the bottom of this e-mail).

I did try the command "caspol -reset" as suggested, and republished the application.

One thing that may be complicating matters is that the version of my application itself is v1.1.0.0, where the publish version is 1.0.0.2. But this doesn't seem to make a difference, as if I change the publish version to v1.1.0.0 (to match the application), I get the same errors.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/lyonsm/Start%20Menu/Programs/Dematic%20Corp/Document%20Generator.appref-ms
          Server  : Microsoft-IIS/5.1
          X-Powered-By : ASP.NET
     Deployment Provider url  : http://mycomputer/DocumentGenerator/Install/Test/DocumentGenerator.application

ERROR SUMMARY
     * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\lyonsm\Start Menu\Programs\Dematic Corp\Document Generator.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [11/16/2006 12:58:19 PM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\lyonsm\Start Menu\Programs\Dematic Corp\Document Generator.appref-ms has started.
     * [11/16/2006 12:58:20 PM] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [11/16/2006 12:58:20 PM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, TempFile& deployFile)

Any ideas what I can do so I can get this working?

For what it's worth, my testing is happening on a Virtual PC, running Windows XP Sp2, so I can start with a truly clean system again after each try (just rolling back the changes).

Thanks!

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:05 PM
  • FYI:

We were having the failure in this thread when deploying to a MyDocuments folder that resided on a file server:

System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath() . . .

Based on the tips in this thread we set the target to c:\temp and that worked for us.

Please reply if you need more info about our network setup.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:29 AM
  • FWIW, I had the same problem till I noticed that I had 20 instances of PresentationHost.exe active. I killed them all and everything worked fine again.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:38 PM
  • yes I have a thread on this below im able to replicate this error there are quite a few threads about this but one does not see any definitive answer from MS I dont know about the professional editions but with express editions ( which is aimed at hobbyists students etc ) bug will def occur

As there is no answer I have worked my way around it by changing the app name to for example 'program v1.1' to program v1.2' everytime I make an update then setup will simply create another program rarther than replace existing one ( which if replaced due to same app name and one tries to remove from add/remove progs , you will get error when you try to install from then on any app)  I can then remove old version from add remove no problem as it has not been replaced.

But obvisuly it should simply update existing version rarther than simply replace shortcut on start menu and create mumbo jumbo somewhere on hard dsik where app code lies and whatever it does in registry.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:06 PM
  • I have struggled with the same issue and finally have a solution or at least a workaround. Somehow the manifest signature or iteration has gotten out of synch. If you delete the manifest folder completey, uninstall the application, then deploy again via ClickOnce, the manifest folder gets recreated and you are back on track.

C:\Documents and Settings\dsouthern\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\DNWPG3ZG.8XV\AJPH1GD4.TX2

Of course, change the user name under docs and settings to you and the exact path will vary, but, you will find the manifest folder following this example. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:39 AM
  • Lets say I send my friend a program on CD created with click once, he installs this program and appends to say a text file with that program.I then make an alteration to said program and put updated program back on CD using clik once and send it to him, he installs my updated program but his text with the alterations he made have gone.

Instead of getting update he more or less got a new app thats starts all over again looks same program on start menu etc but does not work like an update.

He then removes program from add/remove in control panel, I then send him a new prgram using clik once and now he cant install that becasue hes getting 'value does not fall witihn expected range' error

This is visual basic express edition is intended for hobbyists students and novice programmers im sure a seasoned pro can just go in and play around with registries manifests etc.. to correct problem  but for average joe he'l spend countless hours looking in these forums and encounter a conundrum of answers regarding this issue I think i've seen 1 reply from MS concerning this its all very strange !

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:03 PM
  • Well i had the same problem!!

Solution for this is:

goto IIS delete all previous published versions....

goto C:\Documents and Settings\"Local User Account"\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\625KN8NL.0OO\XD5VZ6A8.NOP    delete all the files in this directory!!

this should work guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Krishna

Thursday, December 28, 2006 4:40 PM
  • OK, I just wanted to write a quick post that I figured out why the problem was occuring for me. 

Turns out when I publish to a share that included the "&" character (like s:\share\this & that\), I got the message "value does not fall within expected range"   There was a reference to MSCORLIB in the error message. 

That's it..  no version checking or deleting files... etc..  just a lousy ampersand..

Ugh..

Max

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:59 PM
  • This is a confirmation of what Max has written:

1) If the path contains an ampersand symbol (&) this triggeres  the described error.

2) Removing the ampersand (&) from the path immediately resolves the problem.

3) I wasted about two working days on tracing this. This forum and Max'es posting saved me.

Plamka

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 4:31 PM
  • This is a post-factum posting, intended to save the time of all new readers of this thread:

1) The described  problem, which is reported in the previous posting, and which has been encountered independently by several different persons, has been resolved. For the solution see Max'es posting on this thread of 09/Jan/2007.

2) You may continue  to read the thread from the beginning to Max'es posting, but this is unlikely to provide you any useful information or any practical ways  of resolving the issue (apparently this thread went through a  lot of wild-goose chase and  the investigation moved in all possible directions, but not until the  posting of Max was the issue clarified and  resolved.

3) And to save you even more time, here is what Max reported (this happens  to be my case too): an ampersand ("&") in the installation path of the deployed application causes the described error. Renaming the folder or changing the installation path to a different one immediatelly resolves the  problem.

4) This may not be the whole truth. If you encounter exactly the same error message as quoted above, chances are that it is caused by the same problem, but no warranty is given.

Plamka

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Whoa - not so fast.

I am one of the people who encountered this repeatedly. Let me state this very clearly:

THERE WERE NO AMPERSANDS OR OTHER CHARACTERS NOT FOUND IN A LEGITIMATE URL, AND NO UNC PATHS, IN MY DEPLOY OR UPDATE PATH AT ANY TIME WHEN ENCOUNTERING THIS PROBLEM.

Given the inconclusive and uninformative error messages, I think we need a little bit more in the way of a real response from Microsoft. For example: does Visual Studio 2005 SP1 fix this? Under what conditions has MS reproduced this problem in internal testing?

Plamka wrote:

This is a post-factum posting, intended to save the time of all new readers of this thread:

1) The described  problem, which is reported in the previous posting, and which has been encountered independently by several different persons, has been resolved. For the solution see Max'es posting on this thread of 09/Jan/2007.

2) You may continue  to read the thread from the beginning to Max'es posting, but this is unlikely to provide you any useful information or any practical ways  of resolving the issue (apparently this thread went through a  lot of wild-goose chase and  the investigation moved in all possible directions, but not until the  posting of Max was the issue clarified and  resolved.

3) And to save you even more time, here is what Max reported (this happens  to be my case too): an ampersand ("&") in the installation path of the deployed application causes the described error. Renaming the folder or changing the installation path to a different one immediatelly resolves the  problem.

4) This may not be the whole truth. If you encounter exactly the same error message as quoted above, chances are that it is caused by the same problem, but no warranty is given.

Plamka

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:10 PM
  • I agree with Pelazem. I did not have an "&" in my deployment or update paths either. My issue, as stated previously, was related to a manifest mismatch, which was resolved by deleting the manifest and its dependant files.

What we have here is the same ambiguous error message whose root cause is either the manifest getting out of synch or an "&" in the URL path.

Hopefully the Microsoft team will do their due diligence to resolve both issues with SP1, but in the meantime, the development community will benefit from having both solutions as valid fixes.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

None of the proposed solution work for me.

Remove target files and temporary myDoc...

Manualy synchronize manifest and config version (they are equal)

Rename the project.

Check for encoding of the different deploy files.

Today i can't deploy.

Is Microsoft working about that ?

Sunday, January 14, 2007 6:51 PM
  • I am really sorry to see that this problem has been so widespread. There has been several issues identified that results in showing error text "Value does not ... range.". ClickOnce relies on different managed and unmanaged components, often several unmanaged errors get translated into one managed error hence confusing the scenario. As far as I know, most common reason is version and content mismatch. ClickOnce that has been released differentiates applications by their identities. ClickOnce v1.0 that was released back in Oct 2005 assumes that version of manifest and their contents are always in sync. So when anyone changes anything in the deployment, like adds a file or removes a file or component, ClickOnce assumes that they will always revise the version too. In practice this is not the case. Developers modify their application package publish updates without really changing version. Current ClickOnce fails to recover from this gracefully and shows cryptic error of "Value does not ... range.".

Again this is not the only way you can get into this. In other cases call stacks are slightly different. One drastic solution is to delete the ClickOnce storage completely (but this would remove all other ClickOnce apps to).

Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:23 AM
  • As I mentioned in a previous post, I changed the ClickOnce published version as well as assembly info (file and assembly version) on *every single publish* (partly so users were advised that a newer version was available). I was extremely careful to do this.

The errors occurred despite this. It is beginning to sound like the current ClickOnce has deep problems and that this is not just some incidental bug? And again, was any of this addressed in VS2005 SP1?

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by BarfieldXP Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BarfieldXP Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:14 PM
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:26 AM
  • pelazem, one way that you can make sure the versions were actually updated is to check the deployment manifest (.application file). Do you see it different, I dont have much idea on how VS generates those manifests, whether steps that you have taken will actually result in change in version of the deployment manifest. I can debug your particular case further if you can provide me a dump of your ClickOnce store where the failure is happenning. To create a dump, do this:

- From repro machine zip the ClickOnce app store folder. App store location on client machine:
     XP: c:\documents & settings\<user>\local settints\Apps
     VISTA: c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Apps

-Export registry key HKCU\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment to file.

-Also add the deployment payload which is failing to install.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Yes 'click once' needs a route canal, I installed using clik once then removed in add remove progs then reinstalled exatly same program ( no changeds made) then removed from add/remove progs on next attempt I got the error message after installing using clik once.

I never republished or made any changes to application I merely installed and reinstalled using the same setup files and removed using 'add/remove programs'

Ive read coumtless posts as to how people are getting this through various means but the fact is 'click once' is unreliable it can be compared to buying a used car from dodgy Frank it breaks down this week, you tweak it then it breaks down again.

Weather or not these problems exist in professional edition I dont know, but in the 'free' express edition' for idiots like me it certianly does.

Apart from 'click once' the rest of express works great

Friday, January 19, 2007 12:49 AM
  • I don't kown if this can help you.

1) I had the related problem on the first issue on my projet.

2) After a lot of try and retry i have completly rebuild my projet under a new name, newfolder (everything new !)

3) The first remark i can do is that ClicOnce plublish version was not the same beween my old and my new project. On my old project the starting version was 0.0.0.0. On my new project it is 1.0.0.0.

4) Same remark on my project manifest : Old project "1.0.*" (Only 3 level with third = star ) . On the new manifest project 1.0.0.0.

5) I have also changed the target install directory (destroying the old named install3, creating a new named install4, uninstalling the remainder of my previus unsuccess install !).

Using these paranoiac precautions, my deployement was a success .

At the time i am writing i am still very anxious about the deplyoment of the future release...

Friday, January 19, 2007 10:29 AM
  • Recently we got a good repro of this problem, particularly when the call stack looks like below. It seems this is caused by discrepancy in <assemblyIdentity> of components between application manifest and their assembly metadata. Verifying this is not easy, but you can do this if you want to:

- Check every <dependency> item in your application manifest (possibly the .exe.manifest). Open the correspinding dll/exe (see codebase attribuite for location) item in ildasm.exe. Now see whether the metadata identity matches with the <assemblyIdentity> of that <dependency>.

- Seems like sometimes there are extra attributes, particularly you have attribute Retargetable="Yes/No" in the metadata. If you have such attributes you are likely to get this "value does not fall ..." error, with a callstack like below.

To fix this manually update your application manifest to add the attribute (e.g. Retargetable) in your corresponding <depemdency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity> and sign, generate deployment manifest.

This could be a labor intensive process, until fix is made in the tools that generates manifests.

Callstack :

at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri activationUri)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ProcessOrFollowShortcut(String shortcutFile, TempFile& deployFile)

Thanks everyone for reporting this issue.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:42 PM
  • When will we see a fix for this approximately?  The post seems to be my issue.
    Friday, March 02, 2007 6:23 AM
  • I ended up removing the application through Add/Remove, deleting all versions from the publish location, and redeploying Click-Once. Everything worked there after.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:01 AM
  •  krishna chowdary wrote:

Well i had the same problem!!

Solution for this is:

goto IIS delete all previous published versions....

goto C:\Documents and Settings\"Local User Account"\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\625KN8NL.0OO\XD5VZ6A8.NOP    delete all the files in this directory!!

this should work guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

This worked for me.  Thanks.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Fix wont be out to public until next framework is released. Meanwhile we plan to make a tool available that detects similar cases upfront.
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:42 AM
  • Well, that's at least something, though are you talking about a .NET 4.0 since 3.0 has been out for a little while now????

Separately, I have been experiencing other ClickOnce problems in addition to this one. Despite insane efforts to wipe local storage and uninstall through Add/Remove, redo all versions (ClickOnce and assembly), double-check manifests with mageui.exe, ClickOnce is inconsistent in my scenario. Some machines fail with various errors seemingly at random; I googled all of them, found many reports of every one, and no solution to any one.

Examples include that the application is not packaged properly and to contact the application vendor; I found that this can happen when the manifest does not include a publisher and that the recommendation was to add it using mageui.exe. Well, it did, mageui saw the publisher, and still failed.

Eventually I got so desperate that I packaged ***exactly*** the same app as a setup.exe using a standard deployment project. I did not even change assembly versions or anything else. It worked; every single install using that has been flawless on machines that barfed with ClickOnce. Needless to say, this is a poor scenario for the customer, who now faces uninstall/reinstall per-machine labor; granted, they do not have a central deployment infrastructure in place and they should.

One final note that may hopefully help Microsoft. I have come across a couple of pieces of info that various network equipment (e.g. firewalls, proxy servers) filter out in-stream XML or other ASCII content. So even if one chooses to use the .deploy file extension to get around filename-based defenses, it's the HTTP stream that gets examined and ***maybe*** something is getting stripped out. The customer who is having all this trouble may have something like this on their network; I have been trying to get details.

So maybe a future, stronger version of ClickOnce could guard against this somehow, maybe by packaging all assembly, deployment, etc. info in one file and making it a binary file? Other than that ClickOnce is a great concept, it just needs to get more robust. Thanks for the update.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 10:03 AM
  • I encountered the same error message before.  I was able to install a fresh new one from another PC, however I cannot upgrade the one on my client PC successfully. (Note I had uninstalled it from Add/Remove Program files and it didn't even show up in the list any more.)

I finally resolved this by:

1. Remove all installation files for the application from my client PC (%HOMEPATH%\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\...)
    2. Remove all registry entry for this installation (HKCU\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\SideBySide\2.0\...)

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:57 AM
  • Thanks. We did recieve similar suggestions from different customers, and there are active plans to resolve these issues in near future.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:19 AM
  • I have the same error and none of the suggestions here has affected it. 

The first install worked but every attempt since then has failed.

This happens even when doing a fresh install on a new machine.

I have tried deleting all the project outputs, all the manifests, turning ClickOnce off and releasing through an MSI and then turning it back on again.  Following earlier messages I have checked through the manifests and all the dependencies are at the correct version and the attributes mentioned are not present.

What's more worrying is I contacted Microsoft for help and they pointed me at this thread and said the problem was solved.  Does that mean no further effort is being made to resolve this issue?

As it stands it's hard to see how I or anybody else can use ClickOnce deployment.  It seems this can happen at anytime even if the deployment is working fine at the moment.  When it strikes every copy of your application will stop working and because we have no idea what's causing it there will be nothing you can do to get it started again.

Has anybody else had a similar experience to me?   Have they managed to resolve it?

It would be good to get this sorted because ClickOnce is such a great idea.

Mike

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Mike, I am one of the previous posters here. I "solved" this (i.e. it rarely happens anymore) by turning off ClickOnce automatic version incrementing, and by making sure at every release I change the version in four places:

- assembly info for both assembly and file version

- ClickOnce version (making sure to keep the automatically increase version checkbox off)

- under Update, making sure I always set the minimum version to the same as elsewhere

A while back I tried out mageui.exe (one of the VS tools) and it told me essentially all was well - try in your env.

Also, under ClickOnce files to be deployed ("Application Files"), esp. when you change versions of dependent assemblies (e.g. UI toolkits etc.) make sure once in a while to hit Reset All. This has also cleaned up ClickOnce publish problems for me more than once.

All the above can be accessed from the various tabs on the My Project node in Solution Explorer.

One other thing I tried with cooperative sys admin is to delete all previously deployed versions of the app off users' PCs. Others here have mentioned this. It "fixed" the problem... Obviously, this may not always be possible.

As to Microsoft saying this is fixed, I got this problem just as much after Visual Studio 2005 SP1, so it's not fixed; they may mean that some people found workarounds or avoidances without knowing exactly why.

Separately, I reported a problem with the Windows Forms UI designer to Microsoft (repeatably got Visual Studio to crash by dragging a FlowLayoutPanel with non-Top/Left anchor across another FlowLayoutPanel, Microsoft confirmed it) and their response on Connections was that it was fixed. What did that actually mean? Looking at their response, they fixed it in the VS2008 beta, where the bug also existed, but never answered my question about whether they would also fix it in their current shipping, production version (VS2005) since some of us are still on that instead of the next beta for our daily work. Draw your own conclusions about what "fixed" means, then. Best of luck and hope the above help.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:23 PM
  • Thanks pe619,

I think you have summarised some of the many things covered in this thread.  Nevertheless I went through them all and tried it but to no avail.

I think we may be looking at a symptom rather than a problem.   I have the impression this error occurs if anything goes wrong with the installation.  Unfortunately I can't find anything else in the log file which will show me where to look.

Thanks for taking the time to post anyway.

I have pasted the log from the latest attempt in case it means anything to anybody.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.832
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : http://4ql-nb6/TOPS/TOPS.application
     Deployment Provider url  : http://4ql-nb6/TOPS/TOPS.application
     Application url   : http://4ql-nb6/TOPS/TOPS_1_0_2_10/TOPS.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : TOPS.application, Version=1.0.2.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cd58d741c0ddbeda, processorArchitecture=msil
     Application Identity  : TOPS.exe, Version=1.0.2.10, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cd58d741c0ddbeda, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

ERROR SUMMARY
     * Activation of http://4ql-nb6/TOPS/TOPS.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [08/08/2007 14:23:36] : Activation of http://4ql-nb6/TOPS/TOPS.application has started.
     * [08/08/2007 14:23:37] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [08/08/2007 14:23:37] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [08/08/2007 14:23:37] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
     * [08/08/2007 14:23:38] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [08/08/2007 14:23:38] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.Store.LockApplicationPath(IDefinitionAppId app)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.PatchFiles(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
       at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:33 PM
  • I have solved my problem.

On closer inspection I found 2 (yes 2) copies of the application installed.   When I un-installed these through Add/Remove programs the installation started working.  It wasn't enough to clear the App folder.

How I managed to get 2 copies I have no idea.  ClickOnce should have updated the first one.

At least now I know how to fix it if it happens again.

It's a pity the log file couldn't have given more relevant information.   Perhaps that will be in the next version.

I would also like to say publicly that Microsoft eventually helped a lot.  I had a phone call from Souvonik Mondal of Microsoft who demonstrated real concern for the problems I was having and that ClickOnce should have such a serious flaw.  Of course I now know it doesn't but we didn't know that at the time of his phone call.

If nothing else this will at least give you something else to check if you encounter the problem yourself.

Mike

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Mike, glad to hear that your problem was at least partly solved for now. We understand the frustration some developers encounter while using ClickOnce. If you could repro your earlier problem it would be a great help if you can send us your ClickOnce store to us. It appears "value does not fall ..." error could happen for many different reasons, from the storage layer beneath ClickOnce. Each one seem to have different underlying design or code issues. We need help from developers like you to understand and fix the problems you hit. We have already made some of the fixes in Orcas (framework 3.5). We will continue to make fixes in storage layer or adjust ClickOnce code on top of it. Unfortunately storage layer gives almost identical error messages for all kinds of issues it has.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Hi I have this problem for  2 day with the xbap and loose xaml.

I've post it here :

and I still don't figure out how to solve it.

Mike sad he uninstall from Add/Remove but his not say what he remove ?

Can someone clear it up ?

Thank a lot.

Guy.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Hi Epsilone3,

I un-installed the ClickOnce Application.  After you have run a ClickOnce application you will find it in the list of 'Add/Remove' programs.  Depending on how you set up the install click Change/Remove will un-install the application or let you step back to the previous version.

In my case I had several version of the application installed.  I'm still not sure how that happened but I now suspect one of them was because I had changed the authenticode key between versions.  Anyhow, I un-installed them all and ClickOnce started to work again.

Out of all my difficulties, one thing is clear.  This is not a single problem.  The same error message appears for a whole range of different and perhaps completely unrelated problems.  So, what works for one may not work for another.  Hopefully in later versions the error reporting will be more precise.

Mike

Saturday, September 01, 2007 6:09 AM
  • Hi mike I really got a great eye and I've search the add/remove again and again and can't find any ClickOnce or Microsoft..ClickOnce app to Uninstall it..

I've still got this "Navigation canceld"

and this "Error message"

URI של אתחול: I:\SilverLight&Wpf\Wpf\Xbap\WebList\WebList\bin\Debug\WebList.xbap
    זהות יישום: file:///I:/SilverLight%26Wpf/Wpf/Xbap/WebList/WebList/bin/Debug/WebList.xbap#WebList.xbap, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d13d68eb2af935bb, processorArchitecture=msil/WebList.exe, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d13d68eb2af935bb, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

System.ArgumentException: הערך אינו נמצא בטווח הנדרש.
       ב-  System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
       ב-  System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String[] manifestPaths)
       ב-  System.Windows.Interop.ApplicationLauncherXappDebug.Initialize()
       ב-  System.Windows.Interop.DocObjHost.MS.Internal.AppModel.IBrowserHostServices.Run(String path, String debugSecurityZoneURL, String viewerUri, String fragment, String applicationId, MimeType mime, Object streamContainer, Object ucomLoadIStream, Boolean isDebugMode, String progressAssemblyName, String progressClassName, String errorAssemblyName, String errorClassName)

-----------------------

PresentationHost.exe v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PresentationHost.exe
    ntdll.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
    kernel32.dll v5.1.2600.3119 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070416-1301) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
    ADVAPI32.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
    RPCRT4.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
    USER32.dll v5.1.2600.3099 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070308-0222) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
    GDI32.dll v5.1.2600.3159 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070619-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
    msvcrt.dll v7.0.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
    ole32.dll v5.1.2600.2726 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050725-1528) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
    SHELL32.dll v6.00.2900.3051 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
    SHLWAPI.dll v6.00.2900.3157 (xpsp_sp2_qfe.070614-1244) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
    urlmon.dll v7.00.6000.16512 (vista_gdr.070625-1522) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll
    OLEAUT32.dll v5.1.2600.3139 - C:\WINDOWS\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
    iertutil.dll v7.00.6000.16512 (vista_gdr.070625-1522) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\iertutil.dll
    WININET.dll v7.00.6000.16512 (vista_gdr.070625-1522) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll
    Normaliz.dll v6.0.5441.0 (winmain(wmbla).060628-1735) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Normaliz.dll
    IMM32.DLL v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMM32.DLL
    LPK.DLL v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LPK.DLL
    USP10.dll v1.0420.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\USP10.dll
    comctl32.dll v6.0 (xpsp.060825-0040) - C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03\comctl32.dll
    LVPrcInj.dll v11.1.0.2021 - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcInj.dll
    uxtheme.dll v6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll
    MSCTF.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll
    lgscroll.dll v3.30.165 - C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\lgscroll.dll
    MSVCR80.dll v8.00.50727.1378 - C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1378_x-ww_5c7e3652\MSVCR80.dll
    MSVCP80.dll v8.00.50727.1378 - C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.1378_x-ww_5c7e3652\MSVCP80.dll
    NTMARTA.DLL v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NTMARTA.DLL
    WLDAP32.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLDAP32.dll
    SAMLIB.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SAMLIB.dll
    CLBCATQ.DLL v2001.12.4414.308 - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CLBCATQ.DLL
    COMRes.dll v2001.12.4414.258 - C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMRes.dll
    VERSION.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\VERSION.dll
    xpsp2res.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp2res.dll
    Secur32.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
    ws2_32.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll
    WS2HELP.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
    dfshim.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfshim.dll
    mscoree.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll
    mscorwks.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll
    PresentationHostDLL.dll v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PresentationHostDLL.dll
    mscorlib.ni.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\mscorlib\8e53e914db14e63bc604da831c2aefc6\mscorlib.ni.dll
    System.ni.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System\fb257267fce81b957b63ec6eb3bb1122\System.ni.dll
    WindowsBase.ni.dll v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\WindowsBase\e75b0da72a09fc1b710c05491f4321c3\WindowsBase.ni.dll
    PresentationCore.ni.dll v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationCore\aff8bf5cc95aaf556d688841f20ec75a\PresentationCore.ni.dll
    PresentationFramework.ni.dll v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationFramewo#\fb90e15ec802cbd67634a18de4c0f8b9\PresentationFramework.ni.dll
    msctfime.ime v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime
    actxprxy.dll v6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\actxprxy.dll
    SXS.DLL v5.1.2600.3019 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.061019-0414) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\SXS.DLL
    PresentationHostProxy.dll v3.0.6920.1005 (lh_tools_devdiv_wpf_beta2(avdrt).061020-1904) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PresentationHostProxy.dll
    ieproxy.dll v7.00.5730.11 (winmain(wmbla).061017-1135) - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll
    ctagent.dll v1, 0, 0, 5 - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctagent.dll
    DSOUND.dll v5.3.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DSOUND.dll
    WINMM.dll v5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINMM.dll
    System.Xml.ni.dll v2.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Xml\2115a162ac3d4d43c5b54bc87a474500\System.Xml.ni.dll
    mscorlib.resources.dll v2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200) - C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\mscorlib.resources\2.0.0.0_he_b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.resources.dll
    diasymreader.dll v8.0.50727.1378 (REDBITSB2.050727-1300) - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\diasymreader.dll

My computer work find !

But maybe cause I've got a VS5 before with the same problem I Need to Format my machine.

But I do that please give me altrnative.

Thank's Guy.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 7:11 AM
  • You have misunderstood me.   ClickOnce is not the application it is just the technology used to deploy the application.  If you have managed to deploy your application using ClickOnce your application should appear in the Add/Remove Programs list.

Like I said the same error appears for a variety of reasons so what works for me will not necessarily be of any help to you.

I don't think it will be necessary to re-format your computer.  That seems a bit extreme.

Mike

Saturday, September 01, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Don't got the name of the program either in Add/Remove also I've looking in the Regedit for this key :

HKCU\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\

And I've got no Deployment !.

I remove the library from ..\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\...

Put the VS8 Beta2 on repair mode and still nothing..seems to be fix.

Let's left to hope, that in the future a Hotbox will solve this problem.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 1:46 AM
  • I don't know about the registry key, HKCU\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\.  I have successful deployments created and installed on my computer and it doesn't have this key either.  What were you expecting to find in it?

Your missing Add/Remove entries suggests you have never deployed successfully to this computer but the presence of the ..\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\... folder suggests you have.   Is this a first time install or an update?

Are you running a beta copy of VS 2005?  If so perhaps you would be better to upgrade to a full copy.  It has been out for some time now.

Investigating me problem suggests this is not a fault in the ClickOnce but just poor reporting of deployment issues when they arise. MS have already said fixes to this will appear in later versions (not clear which version they mean though 3?, 4?).  There has been no suggestion of a patch to current versions I have heard of.  (But perhaps I just haven't heard about it, anybody care to enlighten me on this?)

Mike

Sunday, September 02, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Hi Mike
    In the preview page of this thread :

A guy named "Mengzi" say to look for this Deployment reg key and remove it.

But as  I look for this key I've found nothing .. like to says.
    So I contains digging  deeper into XAML and C# in WPF/E Under <Window root panel since I can't found how to fix This xbap & loose.xaml to build a websites.
    And SilverLight is really poor with panels and C# code samples.

So I think the right thing to do ..is really go deeper into XAML since he will be deploy in both future WPF/E or with it full conjunction with SilverLight.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 6:17 AM
  • Even i have faced the same problem, i tried in the same way as he explained.

Normally your application will be installed in this path only, C:\Documents and Settings\d3199\Local Settings\Apps\2.0.

if you have done any modifications in this folder, then you will face this problem. you just change the folder name 2.0 to some other name and install the application again. It will work properly.

2nd Error if you face this Error

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

If you have done any modifcations in this folder C:\Documents and Settings\d3199\Local Settings\Apps\2.0.

do the same thing. Just change the folder name to some name as explained above.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Changing the folder name is equivalent to cleaning the ClickOnce store. You can also do mage.exe -cc it is much cleaner way to do it. If clickOnce engine does not find the store path it will create a new one, thus if you modify or delete current store, ClickOnce will start fresh and all history and installed apps will disappear.

Friday, October 26, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I am also running into this issue. Things I have tried so far:
    MAGE -cc
    Installing a new certificate.
    Cleaning out the files in App/2.0.
    Verified the versions are consistent.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
        Windows             : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 2.0.50727.832
        System.Deployment.dll         : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
        mscorwks.dll             : 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
        dfdll.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        dfshim.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/dhord2/Desktop/New%20Folder/xxx_3_0_4_55.application
        Application url            : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/dhord2/Desktop/New%20Folder/xxx_3_0_4_55/xxx.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
        Deployment Identity        : xxx.application, Version=3.0.4.55, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e137fd3622c88551, processorArchitecture=msil
        Application Identity        : xxx.exe, Version=3.0.4.55, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e137fd3622c88551, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

ERROR SUMMARY
        * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\dhord2\Desktop\New Folder\xxx_3_0_4_55.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [1/17/2008 10:03:38 AM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\dhord2\Desktop\New Folder\xxx_3_0_4_55.application has started.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:38 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:38 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:38 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:57 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:58 AM] : Downloading of subscription dependencies is complete.
        * [1/17/2008 10:03:58 AM] : Commit of the downloaded application has started.
        * [1/17/2008 10:04:00 AM] : Installation of application has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
        * [1/17/2008 10:04:00 AM] System.ArgumentException
            - Stack trace:

* Transaction at [1/17/2008 10:04:00 AM]
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationStageComponent
                - HRESULT: 0x0
                - Manifest: J8MHA02C.VJM.application
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
                - Manifest: xxx.exe.manifest
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationStageComponentFile
                - File: images\prevpgd.gif
                - File: fyi-a.ico
                - File: images\lastpgd.gif
                - File: My Project\Application.myapp
                - File: images\lastpg.gif
                - File: images\ajax-loader.gif
                - File: images\nextpgd.gif
                - File: Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.xml
                - File: images\prevpg.gif
                - File: PublishLog.txt
                - File: bin\fyitxt.ico
                - File: images\firstpg.gif
                - File: xxx.exe.config
                - File: images\nextpg.gif
                - File: bin\FlexMaskEditBox.dll
                - File: Alt\Forms\AltGrid.xml
                - File: images\firstpgd.gif
                - File: bin\Interop.Excel.dll
                - File: bin\FYISQLJOBS.dll
                - Manifest: FYI_UserControl_Library.dll.genman
                - File: FYI_UserControl_Library.dll
                - Manifest: Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll.genman
                - File: Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll
                - Manifest: Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll.genman
                - File: Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll
                - Manifest: Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.dll.genman
                - File: Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.dll
                - Manifest: xxx.exe.genman
                - File: xxx.exe
                - Manifest: CbtHook.dll.genman
                - File: CbtHook.dll
                - Manifest: Office.dll.genman
                - File: Office.dll
                - Manifest: Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll.genman
                - File: Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll
                - Manifest: LogBuilder.exe.genman
                - File: LogBuilder.exe
                - Manifest: Interop.DTSOlapProcess.dll.genman
                - File: Interop.DTSOlapProcess.dll
                - Manifest: FlexMaskEditBox.dll.genman
                - File: FlexMaskEditBox.dll
                - Manifest: MsgBoxCheck.dll.genman
                - File: MsgBoxCheck.dll
                - Manifest: ADODB.dll.genman
                - File: ADODB.dll
                - Manifest: FYISQLJOBS.dll.genman
                - File: FYISQLJOBS.dll
                - Manifest: Interop.DTS.dll.genman
                - File: Interop.DTS.dll
                - Manifest: WindowsHook.dll.genman
                - File: WindowsHook.dll
                - Manifest: stdole.dll.genman
                - File: stdole.dll
                - Manifest: Interop.Excel.dll.genman
                - File: Interop.Excel.dll
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationInstallDeployment
                - AppId: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/dhord2/Desktop/New%20Folder/xxx_3_0_4_55.application#xxx.application, Version=3.0.4.55, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e137fd3622c88551, processorArchitecture=msil
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreOperationSetDeploymentMetadata
            + System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.StoreTransactionOperationType (27)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:30 PM
  • I'm outta this tarpit!

i made another app that has all the same refrences as the problem app.

that and a heelo button.

Bang! it works.

Good luck. thisis an ugly one.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.0.6000.0 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.1433
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file:///C:/Users/James%20&%20Sara/Desktop/Test/WindowsGame1.application
     Application url   : file:///C:/Users/James%20&%20Sara/Desktop/Test/WindowsGame1_1_0_0_1/WindowsGame1.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : WindowsGame1.application, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c79b5e8c5516c505, processorArchitecture=x86
     Application Identity  : WindowsGame1.exe, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c79b5e8c5516c505, processorArchitecture=x86, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY

ERROR SUMMARY
     * Activation of C:\Users\James & Sara\Desktop\Test\WindowsGame1.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [28/02/2008 3:04:47 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\James & Sara\Desktop\Test\WindowsGame1.application has started.
     * [28/02/2008 3:04:47 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [28/02/2008 3:04:47 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [28/02/2008 3:04:47 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [28/02/2008 3:04:48 PM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension)

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:09 AM
  • James,

As the long topic suggests, this problem originates from many different issues.  In your case, however, I think I know how you can fix it...

In your Deployment URL and Application URL, you have an ampersand (&) in the paths:

C:/Users/James & Sara/Desktop/Test/WindowsGame1.application
    C:/Users/James & Sara/Desktop/Test/WindowsGame1_1_0_0_1/WindowsGame1.exe.manifest

By removing the ampersand from your path, your ClickOnce deployment will likely be fixed.  The key to your problem is in the ERROR DETAILS section of your installation log.  When the failure is in Source: mscorlib, it's likely an ampersand in the path or application name.

Others here are getting errors with a source of System.Deployment.  These seem to be related to Assembly, File, and Publish version issues.

Moral of the story?  Take a look at the Source: in the ERROR DETAILS section of your installation log:

• If Source: mscorlib, then look for an ampersand in the deployment path or application name.
      • If Source: System.Deployment, make sure you review your versioning and look for other workarounds in this thread.

Hope this helps!

Joe Cogan

Real Time Intelligence, Inc.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  

Yes, sorry I'd worked this out already.

It fails if the installer resides in a path with the "&" symbol.

Cheers,
    James

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:35 AM
  • ANOTHER CAUSE AND SOLUTION

This nasty error message showed up in one of our ClickOnce installations.  After trying everything mentioned in this thread without success we found another cause and solution to this error.

We have a solution with 10 projects, three of these projects refernce the Microsoft.Ink library.  There is also a reference in the main project this library so it is included in the ClickOnce deployment.

All references to this library should be to version 6.0.0.0 however a reference in one of the projects pointed to version 1.7.2600.2181.

Changing the reference to point to version 6.0.0.0 fixed the problem.

I suspect that upon launch of the application ClickOnce checks that all required versions of dlls are present and if not it throws this incredibly helpful error message.  I assume this would apply to any dll not just Microsoft.Ink.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Dean

Friday, June 27, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  

Hi,

the missunderstand is that (for me)

the problems are normal ve they have to solve. but why it works on some comp. doesn't work comp. we try on many different comp. it works on some, and doesn't work on many ones. every one has different error message. the error messages are defined in passed threads. I want this, if works on my comp. it should, must, have to work on every comp. of course if comps. have min. prequesties. Because .net isn't depent on operator system or comp. that's why people prefer.

it's a just complaint Smile

Monday, August 18, 2008 10:38 AM
  •  

Hi,

Our test engineer has reported the issue (which works on some comp and doesn't work on some comp) the ptroblem is internet explorer read everything from cache and you can remove application cache by your way. so you have to download mage(Manifest generator & editin tool) - it's also comes with vs 2008 in SDK COmmand Line.

When you type " mage -cc " in SDK Command Line (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>)

then you will see the ie starts to download application...

Smile

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:18 PM
  • I know this thread is old, but it is the most current information I could find on the Internet, and I thought I'd add my two sense.  I've been working with Click-Once for a couple months now, and until this morning, I never ran into this problem. 

My Click-Once app is a WPF application developed with VS2008 SP1.  This morning, I attempted to run it and got this error.  I wiped out every cache I could think of, and still no go.  Then I had an idea.  It was sparked by the fact that oddly enough, even when I ran my app within VS this morning, calling ApplicationDeployment.IsNetworkDeployed produced the same error?!

Yesterday, I installed a third-party .NET application that installed the .NET Java runtime, even though it was already installed.  I hadn't tried my ClickOnce app since then.  My thought was that perhaps it somehow corrupted my version of .NET (.NET 3.5 SP1).  So, I ran the repair install and now everything works fine again.  I'm not sure if this was caused by the java runtime, or just a conincedence, but it solved this problem for me where changing version numbers, etc, didn't.

As a sum-up, this last issue with Click-Once has broken the camel's back.  I've had to develop so many work arounds when using Click-Once technology that it would be almost impossible for someone else to understand it all.  I'm thinking that although I've tried to avoid it, I'm going to have to use a windows installer and then implement my own version of an update program.  Sorry guys.  I gave Click-Once my best shot, but it just isn't flexible enough and has too many bugs.

Back to the drawing board.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:32 PM
  • I recently devloped a Com+ component and  i used the Component into another project.

Everthing Worked fine and the application gave no errors .Until I changed  My Com+ Activation Type in the Microsoft Management console from LIBRARY APPLICATION to SERVER APPLICATION and when i used the component again with my application it gave me the error "Value does not fall within the expected range".

So i again changed the Activation Type in the Microsoft Management console from  SERVER APPLICATION to LIBRARY APPLICATION and it gave me no error

I dont know if this is helpfull because i still dont know why it is giving the error when i change my my Com+ Activation type.If anyone could give a reply it would be really helpfull

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:14 PM
  •  

Since I spent the last day or so tracking dealing with this issue, I thought I would post my solution (such as it is).  After reading this thread and whatever else I could find.  My problem was happening at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication.  I was able to successfully publish from the same source on another workstation.  This led me to believe that my problem was related to my workstation.  I had recently installed Office 2007 and recently uninstalled the Windows SDK and Visual Studio SDK.  After installing Office and re-deploying my app, my users started getting this error:

Unable to install or run the application. The application requires that assembly office Version 12.0.0.0 be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first.

Between getting this error and getting the "Value does not fall within the expected range" error is when I uninstalled the SDK's.  I did a repair of my VS install to no avail.

This is where it gets very interesting.  It appears that these 2 errors are actually related.  Even though they had different manifestations on 2 workstations (publishing from the other workstation never caused the "valud does not fall" error), the same solution eventually worked for both.  I am using a custom library to do all of the Office interop for this app.  The references to the interop libraries are all set with Specific Version = False in the reference properties.  However, another library had references to the interop libraries which had Specific Version = True.  (In fact, these were COM references and not references to the .Net interop wrappers).  Once I removed the references, replaced them with references to the .Net wrappers, and set Specific Version = False, the issue was resolved.

Friday, December 05, 2008 3:13 PM
  • I am using VS2008 PRO and yesterday I upgraded to MS Office 2007 Pro.  I get no errors during the publish of my application.  After I install or download the update I get a similar error to the posters above:

ERROR DETAILS
     * [12/12/2008 6:48:37 PM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.ActivateApplication(DefinitionAppId appId, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.Activate(DefinitionAppId appId, AssemblyManifest appManifest, String activationParameter, Boolean useActivationParameter)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

The application is installed and if I go to the install directory C:\Documents and Settings\<userID>\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\LHNR1984.DW0\QY31J88D.RZL\call..tion_547bf88bd3ea27af_0002.0000_e4965a8d12447668 I can run the application fine from there.  It just won't check for updates.  I've spent all day on this with no luck.  I've been using ClickOnce for a year with this application and have had no issues.  I'm at a loss as to where to go now.  Any advice would be appreciated.   Thx

Saturday, December 13, 2008 12:01 AM
  • I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is looking, I just cleared my ClickOnce cache with mage -cc and I could reinstall the same app, with the same version and a new manifest.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I have posted another source of this error:
    NHibernate, SQL CE 3.5.1.0 & ClickOnce Catch 22?

Santos
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I just started having this issue on a ClickOnce deployed app. It was in VS 2005 w/SP1 and I tried changing the path I publish to, changing the installation URL, changing the assembly name, manually controlling versions, running mage -cc, manually removing all application data in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Apps  and even changing deployment servers completely but still get the same error:

ERROR DETAILS
        * [3/30/2009 5:35:37 PM] System.ArgumentException
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)

Any help at all would be much appreciated..
    Monday, March 30, 2009 9:34 PM
  • this site talks about the error not sure if it will help you now. Do you still have the problem now or you have solve it. System.ArgumentException. Value does not fall within the expected range

http://connectionstringexamples.com/article.php?story=Sharepoint-error-System-Argument

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:17 AM
  • We are getting the same error but only for a couple of machines out of 100+ that are all using ClickOnce for the same app.  Most machines are OK and update (as they did before) without a problem. We can fix the problem on the two problematic machines by deleting the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Apps and reinstalling.

We always change the file version, assembly version and publish/minimum version with each publish. The machines were all OK before and now they are experiencing the problem without any material change to the projects in the solution.

This problem is intermittent and only affects a small percentage of machines but the situation that we have at the moment is that after each release we could get a random number of failures.  We are considering dropping ClickOnce altogether as this problem appears to have been around for years with no resolution forthcoming from Microsoft.

Does anyone have a permanent fix / suggestion for what might be causing this?

Summary details:

Application cannot be started.  Contact the application vendor.

Value does not fall within the expected range @ System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication

Full information:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO

Windows                                   : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)

Common Language Runtime       : 2.0.50727.42

System.Deployment.dll              : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

mscorwks.dll                             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

dfdll.dll                                     : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

dfshim.dll                                  : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES

Deployment url: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ahunter/Start%20Menu/Programs/Sarasin/SIC.NET%20-%20Live.appref-ms

Deployment Provider url: file://solomon/Distribution/PMS/Live/PMS.UI.Live.application

ERROR SUMMARY

* Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\ahunter\Start Menu\Programs\Sarasin\SIC.NET - Live.appref-ms resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [15/04/2009 09:55:13] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\ahunter\Start Menu\Programs\Sarasin\SIC.NET - Live.appref-ms has started.

* [15/04/2009 09:55:13] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.

ERROR DETAILS

* [15/04/2009 09:55:15] System.ArgumentException

- Stack trace:at System.Deployment.Application.NativeMethods.CorLaunchApplication(UInt32 hostType, String applicationFullName, Int32 manifestPathsCount, String[] manifestPaths, Int32 activationDataCount, String[] activationData, PROCESS_INFORMATION processInformation)

Sean Fackrell
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:51 PM
  • I too had this problem on only one user's machine. 

We did the following at the problem went away:

(1) Deleted the APPS folder under c:\documents and settings\%username%\local Settings
    (2) Had the user reboot.

Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:43 PM
  • I've been experimenting with ClickOnce for only a few hours, just to see if it's ready for prime-time. I took an existing WinForm app and began "adjusting" one thing at a time to get it to deploy via ClickOnce.

I got it to deploy for a while, then I starting getting the "Value does not fall within the expected range" exception (details below). 

But backing-out each of my previous adjustments didn't fix it... it will no longer deploy. 

Is there no fix - or at least a workaround - for this problem?  It's been reported for over 3 years. I don't want to recommend ClickOnce for our customers apps if it's flaky.

Thanks,

DT

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.3082
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   : file://npsisv03/ClickOnceForUSM/UltraSM.application
     Application url   : file://npsisv03/ClickOnceForUSM/UltraSM_1_10_0_15/UltraSM.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
     Deployment Identity  : UltraSM.application, Version=1.10.0.15, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=be93a9ce9f8aa28c, processorArchitecture=msil
     Application Identity  : UltraSM.exe, Version=1.10.0.15, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=be93a9ce9f8aa28c, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
     * Online only application.

ERROR SUMMARY
     * Activation of file://npsisv03/ClickOnceForUSM/UltraSM.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

WARNINGS

* [9/8/2009 10:27:30 AM] : Activation of file://npsisv03/ClickOnceForUSM/UltraSM.application has started.
     * [9/8/2009 10:27:30 AM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
     * [9/8/2009 10:27:30 AM] : Installation of the application has started.
     * [9/8/2009 10:27:30 AM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
     * [9/8/2009 10:27:32 AM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.

ERROR DETAILS
     * [9/8/2009 10:27:32 AM] System.ArgumentException
      - Stack trace:

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:48 PM
  • ...and deleting my ~Local Settings\Apps folder and rebooting didn't correct the problem.

DT
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Try running "mage -cc "
    on the machine having the problem and make sure you have deleted the Apps\2.0 folder.
    mage.exe is under the Microsoft SDKs on the development machine.

Also, you say it used to work, and now it doesn't, which indicates that something probably changed. Check the references in all of your projects in your solution and make sure if any non-.NET components are used, that you are using the same version everywhere. Also check for circular references, because that is known to create this problem.

I will say that thousands of people use ClickOnce successfully, my company being one of them. We have thousands of customers and our rate of problems with ClickOnce is less than 1%, if that makes you feel any better.

I also noticed Google seems to be using it to deploy applications, and the Dell Download Manager is also a ClickOnce deployment.

RobinDotNet
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:33 AM
  • i had the same problem with a clickonce deployed application.

i tried various things but incrementing the assembly version seemed to solve it for me
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:12 PM
  • I've just wasted 3/4 hours of my life on this same problem (I say the same problem, but in reality, from reading this thread, there are multiple problems that can cause this same useles error message).

I think I have tracked my problem down to the operating system that I'm using. I'm running 64bit Windows Vista Ultimate and that seemed to cause me the problem. I tried redoing the deployment multiple times, changing the version number, deleting all of the files that this thread talks about etc. It was only when I sat at a different PC (running XP) and I went through the exact same steps that I had done before, that I managed to resolve the problem.

I suspect that it is to do with my operating system being 64 bit rather than me running Vista. I haven't looked anywhere to confirm this as I have spent more than enough time at work for a Saturday!!! It would be good if someone else could confirm this one way or another though - i.e. whether it is 64bit or just Vista in general.
    http://www.sharpcoder.co.uk
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:17 PM
  • You mean that the development machine you are using to create the deployment is 64-bit?

What is the target CPU for the application?

RobinDotNet
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:06 AM
  • You mean that the development machine you are using to create the deployment is 64-bit?

What is the target CPU for the application?

RobinDotNet

Yes, the development machine that I created the deployment on and had the problem was a 64 bit machine.

The target CPU was set to "Any CPU" which come to think of it I have read about people having problems compiling to "Any CPU" on 64 bit machines, although nothing specifically to do with CLick Once.

http://www.sharpcoder.co.uk
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:03 AM
  • Well, it could have something to do with the other components in the project.

We used to target "any cpu", and had to change it to x86 in order to get it to work on 64-bit machines.

For us, this is because we use DirectX, and it only supports 32-bit machines. So even though we put all of the DirectX code in its own project that targeted x86, we had to have our startup project also target x86.

I would wonder if compiling to "any cpu" on a 64-bit machine would cause a problem. You'd think MSFT would think of that, but they've missed stuff before. (I'm resisting the urge to mention Windows Vista) ;-)

RobinDotNet
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:31 AM
  • The exact same problem got me here. After trying a lot of different possible solutions, I found out by mistake how to fix the issue on my systems. I tried publishing another of my apps with a few references in them. I installed the app on my test machine and suddenly it initiated the installation of Windows Installer and Dot Net Framework 3.5 SP1. After that, my app worked fine!

I don't get it. MS makes Visual Studio, they make the OS, they make the components like Windows Installer and DotNet Framework but they can't get a decent error message out. I'm going out to get a copy of InstallShield!
    Monday, September 14, 2009 11:21 AM
  • So when you changed the target platform to x86, it worked fine?

(BTW, have you tried InstallShield? I found it really difficult to use, and really expensive. I think incremental updates cost you $1/user/update. Ouch.)

At least ClickOnce is free, even to those using one of the (free) Express versions of Visual Studio. It's not a bad deal all the way around.

RobinDotNet
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:36 AM
  • All,

I still haven't found my issue.  I have tried everything.  It was deploying fine for weeks and all of a sudden it stopped.  I am trying to back out my changes to figure out what caused the issue.  I deleted the local settings, uninstalled, removed all application files.  No luck.  This just sucks! 

Linda
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:07 PM
  • browsing to this folder and deleting the numberd folder worked for me :)

XP: c:\documents & settings\<user>\local settints\Apps

VISTA: c:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Apps
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:24 AM
  • hi,
    I was struggling with this for a while myself and tried following all the recommendations on this post but to no avail.

my issue was actually caused by having multiple versions of the VBIDE (Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.dll) reference in my project. check your bin directories for any libraries that have multiple versions.

hope this helps someone.

Thanks

Allen
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Apparently, this problem(s) is still around. I started getting this error after installing a new version of Infragistics controls. Tried every proposed solution in this thread, but to no avail. I also had 2 versions installed side-by-side (removed them), cleaned Apps/2.0, ran mage.exe, cleaned registry, increased the version, updated manifest. Nothing helps! :(
    If somebody has any other ideas please do tell.

Thanks,
    Dmitriy.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Make sure you don't have any mismatched version numbers on the Infragistics stuff, or any circular references. I.E. did you delete all of the references in your project to the Infragistics dll's and recreate the references so they point to the exact right version?

We store DLL's in our project, and I tried replacing one that we create in another project without recreating the reference, since the version numbers are the same. It SO didn't work.

Also, don't you have to install some kind of prerequisite on the user's machine in order to use Infragistics controls?  Are you deploying dll's locally instead, and does it work?

RobinDotNet
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:05 PM
  • iI figured that my problem is definitely related to the dll's version change. If I go back to the original version and apply all the techniques described above, ClickOnce starts working again. But as soon as I change an Infragistics dll to a newer version, my users start getting one of the two errors mentioned here:
    "The application requires that assembly <Assembly Name> be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first." and "Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor".
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dmitriy.

Friday, November 13, 2009 10:13 PM
  • The Infragistics dll's must be installed in the GAC. If you install the Infragistics runtime (or whatever it is) on the user's machine, does the application then start working for the user? DO they have some kind of redistributable that needs to be deployed with your application?

You can deploy it as a prerequisite to your CLickOnce app, but you're going to have to have the users run your app via the setup.exe. Or you can just send them the redistributable.

I would handle it by pushing a new deployment with the prerequisite of the new Infragistics controls, and have the old version programmatically uninstall itself and trigger the install of the new version. I can tell you how to do that if you want to know.

But first you have to figure out what needs to be installed on the user's machine in order to run the new version.

RobinDotNet
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Linda,

Did I miss a previous post of yours? What problem are you having specifically? (You might want to post it as a new thread.)

RobinDotNet
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:51 PM
  • I do not install Infragistics dlls as prerequisite - I include them in the published build. It's been working fine for over a year. As soon as I change any dll to a newer version (by manually deleting it from the project's references and adding it again from the .NET tab) and re-publish, some of the users start getting "Value does not fall within the expected range" error and it works fine for others. If I re-publish again (without changing anything), some other users start getting this error. So it's really weird and flaky...
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:06 PM
  • I do not think that installing Infragistics dll's in the GAC on client machines is going to help my case for several reasons. First of, the previous versions of the dll's work by just including them in the published build. It still works with the new version sometimes for some users. I created a brand new little test app with the new version of the dll's (included in the published build) and it works for all the users. The reverse is also true - I've got both versions of the dll's installed in the GAC on my developer machine, and yet I get the same error "Value does not fall within the expected range" from time to time when I try to run the published version.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Ok, to sum things up. I've spent 3 days trying to resolve the "Value does not fall within the expected range" issue. I updated Infragistics dll's using their Project Upgrade Utility, so the process was automated to exclude a possibility of missing any dll. Yet still I manually verified that all the dll's are upgraded to the newer version. Everything is fine. I checked for circular references (not even sure where would they possibly come from) - no circular references. Checked for multiple references to the same assembly (as somebody suggested). Installed Infragistics dll's in the GAC. Uninstalled the previous version of the app. Cleaned ClickOnce repository (mage.exe and Apps/2.0), changed publishing location and a thousand of other things. Nothing worked. I'm still getting the "Value does not fall within the expected range" error.
    I guess the only thing left is to abandon ClickOnce deployment and switch to a regular installation. Unbelievable... :(
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:20 PM
  • I too have the Infragistics dll and still have the problem off and on.  What I had to do was take a previous version that did successfull click once deployment, gradually add in my changes using the beyond compare utility except of course the solution and the project.  Then I am successfully able to publish again and have the users be able to run the application.  So I guess the key is something to do with the Infragistics controls.
    • Proposed as answer by DmNz Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I’ve finally resolved my ClickOnce deployment issues. Actually there were two somewhat related issues which made hunting them down even more difficult.
    The solution was as follows:
    After upgrading Infragistics dll’s (or any other dll's I'd guess) to the newer version Rebuild (better yet Clean and Build) the Solution.
    Then I went to Project’s Properties -> Publish Tab -> Application Files. Some (why not all?) of the Infragistics dll’s were not Included in the publish build.
    Just in case I clicked Reset All button and re-included all the Infragistics dll’s in the build again. Then I re-published the new version, cleaned the ClickOnce repository and it started working on most of the machines.

One of the users was still getting "The application requires that assembly <Assembly Name> be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first" - also a very confusing error message.
    I found a reference to a custom built library that was developed by a guy who is now gone (that’s why I didn’t know about it right away).
    So that project was not included in the main Solution, but instead the solution was referencing a compiled dll. The project was referencing Infragistics dll’s and was not upgraded to the new version.
    So when I built the whole Solution the reference to the old version was added indirectly and ClickOnce deployment failed to run with “The application requires that assembly <Assembly Name> be installed in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) first" error.
    The solution for the problem is very obvious: I upgraded the custom component to the new version of the Infragistics dll’s, copied the compiled dll to the main Solution, re-built and re-published the Solution and it’s now working for everybody.

• Proposed as answer by DmNz Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:32 PM
  • There you go. As I suggested, it was a mismatch in the references. Congrats on getting it fixed!

RobinDotNet
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Hi,

I want to share my finding about the related issue.

I got a similar problem on using ClickOnce.
    The deployment package was created by right-clicking the project (Shell project) then select Publish.
    On launching the application, an error displayed: Value does not fall within the expected range

Environment:
    -WinXP SP3
    -VS 2008
    -Smart Client Software Factory
    -Infragistics v7.3
    -Infragistics.Practices.CompositeUI.WinForms v1.0

Then, I tried to deploy the same code using Mage. I didn't make any change on the code/reference.
    Finally.. My application is running.

Regards,

Agung

Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:26 AM
  • All Of  u Having this problem just Change the Publication Folder.it will work 110%.
    Sunday, October 03, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Jay_s12,

No it won't.

RobinDotNet

Sunday, October 03, 2010 6:27 PM
  • I have struggled with the same issue and finally have a solution or at least a workaround. Somehow the manifest signature or iteration has gotten out of synch. If you delete the manifest folder completey, uninstall the application, then deploy again via ClickOnce, the manifest folder gets recreated and you are back on track.

C:\Documents and Settings\dsouthern\Local Settings\Apps\2.0\DNWPG3ZG.8XV\AJPH1GD4.TX2

Of course, change the user name under docs and settings to you and the exact path will vary, but, you will find the manifest folder following this example. Let me know if this doesn't work.

This was the solution for me!  Although I am on Windows 7 and the directory is a bit different, "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0" for me.  Deleted all the folders with that started with the name of my app and the "manifests" folder.  Rebuilt and published my program and BOOM, it worked!  Thanks.
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:09 PM
  • I was having the same problem and I solved my particular issue.  I recently upgraded my SQL Server from 2005 to 2008 and had this "Application cannot be started" issue ever since.  I changed my SQL references from version 9 (2005) to version 10 (2008) in my project.  The problem was that I had multiple projects in my solution and I didn't change the references in the other projects, just the main one.  Looking back at what RobinDotNet was saying about references I finally found out the other projects were not pointing to the same SQL version 10 references.  Once I changed that, I had to uninstall my application on the client machines and deleted the 2.0 directory in the users directory and it runs okay now.  I don't think it will solve all the problems here on this thread but I'll add my solution anyway.

Friday, February 18, 2011 11:46 PM
  • Genious.  Worked for me.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:18 PM
  • One thing that worked for me was to run 'mage -cc' from Visual Studio Command Prompt. It cleared up the cache.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:46 PM
  • Today is 12/23/11...and I had the same problem after making a copy of a project...and i will testify that the problem that I was having was with the reference...I am an intermediate programmer. Therefore, I followed the advise about resolve it...thanks everyone. Thumbs up!
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:01 PM
  • The link above no longer has any information on this issue.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:26 PM
  • I have tried countless "solutions" by other people who said it solved their problem. Finally after 4 hrs of rage, I solved the problem! Went to the Project - Properties, References, click "Unused References" and clearing them all (they're unused anyway). Et Voila'! Finally working! :D

Daniel.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:55 PM
  • After two days of struggling with this, Hallalujah, it is fixed thanks to Daniel Cassar-Alpert!!!!   Deleteing the Unused References fixed it!!!!
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:04 PM