none
Dotnet framework 3.5 SP1 as prerequisite

Question

•  

hi

i have vs.net 2008 and i have installed sp1 ( for vs and the .net framework3.5) but when i try to add the .net framework 3.5 sp1 as a prerequisite i go the following errors when i build the setup program

there are 57 serrors : here are some sample

Error 1 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX20\aspnet.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

Error 24 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX30\RGB9RAST_x86.msi' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

Error 26 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX30\WCF_64.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

Error 29 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX30\WF.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

Error 38 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetFX30\WPF2_64.msp' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

Error 51 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'DotNetFX35SP1\dotNetMSP\x64\NetFX2.0-KB936704-v6000-x64_RTM_en.msu' in item '.NET Framework 3.5 SP1' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. C:\Documents and Settings\Sami\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\WindowsApplication1\Setup1\Setup1.vdproj Setup1

when i remove the sp1 and add only 3.5 it builds ok

thanx

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• What happens if you set the download location in the Prerequisites dialog to "Download from vendor's web site" ?

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:03 AM
  •  

The reason is that we shipped the .NET Frameworks 3.5 SP1 package as Homesite Only, i.e. only supports "Install Prerequisites from Component Vendor's Website".  We did this to keep the size of VS 2008 SP1 from being too large.

We did put info in the SP1 readme on how to get the files put on your machine to enable the samesite scenario.  Look for "Enable Samesite".

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/8/A2807F78-C861-4B66-9B31-9205C3F22252/VS2008SP1Readme.htm

I hope this helps.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:31 AM
  • The readme for SP1 is for an error that occurs...  this is not an error, but just me trying to figure out how to bundle the 3.5 framework files along with my setup/msi for a deployment project.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 7:40 PM
  • I resolved the 57 errors the same way as stated in the SP1 documentation section 2.3.1.1
    but now I have one remaining for Crystal Reports

Error 12 The install location for prerequisites has not been set to 'component vendor's web site' and the file 'CrystalReports 12.0\CRRuntime_12_0_mlb.msi' in item 'Crystal Reports 2008' can not be located on disk. See Help for more information. IVtoQuestInterface

This is for Crystal Reports 2008 (not the basic version)

So how is this resolved please?
    Monday, June 01, 2009 7:36 PM
  • In order to fix this problem with crystal reports I downloaded Service Pack 1 for CR2008
    and also a clickOnce service pack for CR2008.

Both are located here.

https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

The first one is found ubder tyoe "service packs" for CR2008, the latter is found
    under "utility" for CR2008.

(this is NOT for the basic CR edition that comes with VS2008!)

After installing these programs, my one click install option under publish/prerequisites

"download prerequites from same location as application" then worked.

So while this is not exactly a VS2008 fix, it will fix it for CR 2008 you must make sure
    Click Once sees you redistribable..
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Mr. Guyer,

Thanks for that note. I'm sure several other developers are like me, and they just never look at the ReadMe files anymore.

I have VS2008 on a number of machines, and going through these steps for each machine would be tedious, error prone, and costly. Considering our company's policy is to specify "Install All Components" at the initial setup screen, it is also irritating.

We will likely avoid VS2008 SP1 on other machines (and the one we did it on will likely be rolled back for compatibility with other machines).

Will Microsoft's development team address this differently when VS2010/.NET Framework 4.0 is released? That would be a nice question to ask during the setup so that an automated process can perform these steps, reducing the chance of human error.

Regards,
    Joe Pool
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Frankly, installing all components is not a recommended practice. Why would you waste disk space and effort installing Crystal Reports if you aren't going to use it? The "install all components" also installs SQLServer Express, which not only takes up disk space, but also runs as a service on your machine. And this is just Visual Studio. Do they "install all components" when installing Java? Are you enjoying  that crapware (Google Toolbar) that comes with it?

It's a shame not to install SP-1 for VS2008 on your machines. It has a lot of improvements to VS2008 as well as enhancements.

Good luck.

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Monday, August 31, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I agree with RobinDotNet.  I think I could probably deploy the fix as outlined in the notes to my entire depart with about 5 lines of code.  And I'm not even that good at coding...  :)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:55 PM
  • LOL. Thanks!  :-)

RobinDotNet
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 3:08 AM
  •  

The reason is that we shipped the .NET Frameworks 3.5 SP1 package as Homesite Only, i.e. only supports "Install Prerequisites from Component Vendor's Website".  We did this to keep the size of VS 2008 SP1 from being too large.

We did put info in the SP1 readme on how to get the files put on your machine to enable the samesite scenario.  Look for "Enable Samesite".

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/2/8/A2807F78-C861-4B66-9B31-9205C3F22252/VS2008SP1Readme.htm

I hope this helps.

Hi David,

I followed the instructions of above link, and I still could not resolve the "Prerequisite could not be found for bootstrapping" for .Net Framework 3.5SP1. Did I miss something? Please advice!

John

not good
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Frankly, installing all components is not a recommended practice. Why would you waste disk space and effort installing Crystal Reports if you aren't going to use it? The "install all components" also installs SQLServer Express, which not only takes up disk space, but also runs as a service on your machine. And this is just Visual Studio. Do they "install all components" when installing Java? Are you enjoying  that crapware (Google Toolbar) that comes with it?

We are a publicly traded company; I don't write the policy. Obviously, a uniquely configured PC is harder (i.e. more expen$ive) to fix problems or conflicts on than a PC running the same applications as all other PCs - even at the cost of an extra gig or two of "cheap" disk space.

For the most part, this policy applies to installing the Windows OS, Microsoft Office, or other standard packages that goes on all computers.

Crystal Reports: I hate it, too; however, we do have one person that thinks it is fabulous and continues to develop with it. Everyone is different.

For what it's worth, Java and Google Toolbar are moot points at our organization because the Internet is not available anyway.

Regards,
    Joe Pool

Avoid Sears Home Improvement
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:35 PM
  • I understand about being bound by corporate policy. It's unfortunate that they can't make an exception for VS2008. The only courses of action are the ones mentioned previously in this thread.

I don't know if they have enabled samesite with .NET 4.0 (I will be looking at ClickOnce in .NET 4.0 in November). But just FYI, 4.0 is not an addition to 2.0/3.0/3.5. It is a standalone version of .NET and will run concurrently with the others, but not require them.

Good luck.

RobinDotNet

Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:00 PM
  • David,

Not sure if you are still around and helping out but here goes...

I have the same issue with publishing & creating an install package...

My problem is that after modifying the Product.xml file it will NOT let me save the changes... Even after I log in as Administrator...

Got any suggestions?

SquireDude
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:02 AM
  • This is a Windows protection issue. Save the file to another folder and then copy it back over to the original folder. You can COPY into that folder, but you can not save a file into it.

RobinDotNet

Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Friday, May 21, 2010 4:25 PM
  • This is also the case for Visual Studio 2010.  I was able to resolve this by following the same instructions and copying the Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35SP1 folder from v6.0A to v7.0A.  Minor informational addition I know, but every little bit helps.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:44 PM