none
Applicatio name doesn't appear in the open with dialog

Question

• Hello

I created a C# application that create my on file with my own extention.

When I associate the file extension to my program in Windows XP "Open with..." dialog, only the program icon appears in the association dialog but not the program name.

This is happening with all my c# programs.

Does any body know how to make the program name to show up too?

Do I need to add something in the projects properties or something else?

Thanks ahead

Roy

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hello, roy_b

Yes, I've understood now.

Please check you application's assembly information, Assembly name.

Open your application with VS, right click your application --> properties--> Application tag.

Set your application name in the Assembly Information.

If you have further problems pls feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

In VS2003 you can change the productname in AssemblyInfo.cs file.

Put the name in [assembly: AssemblyProduct("ProductName here")]

Thank you

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi, roy_b

roy_b wrote:

I created a C# application that create my on file with my own extention.

When I associate the file extension to my program in Windows XP "Open with..." dialog, only the program icon appears in the association dialog but not the program name.

Excuse me, could you describe the senario more clearly, since I didn't catch the meaning. Thank you

Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Hello

I will try to explain again:

I wrote my own application using c# language.

The application can create (save) files with specific extension (dbm) like word create "doc" files.

I associate those files (dbm) to my application in the Windows XP "Open with" dialog - right click on a "dbm" file-> Open with -> choose program... and choosed my program.

Now when the user double click on a "dbm" file it open my application automaticly and the application opening the file.

What I mean in my question is that if I am looking again at the "Open with" dialog or just right click on the "dbm" file and go to "open with" line in the popup menu, only my application icon appears but not its name.

For example, if I right clicking on a "doc" file and go to "open with" line I see a line with the MS Word icon and a description -> Microsoft Office Word. But if I right clicking on my "dbm" file, only the application icon appear but no description.

Thanks

Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:19 PM
  • Hello, roy_b

Yes, I've understood now.

Please check you application's assembly information, Assembly name.

Open your application with VS, right click your application --> properties--> Application tag.

Set your application name in the Assembly Information.

If you have further problems pls feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Friday, February 16, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Hello

Thank you very much for your answer and sorry for my delay in responsing back.

I'm sorry for not mention it before, but I'm using VS2003 and I think that your answer is good for VS2005. If I'm wrong about that, so please let me know.

I noticed that when I look in my application file properties (that created in c# using VS2003) from Windows Explorer, right click on the file ->under the "Version" tab, the "Product Name" line is empty (where in other applications files that not writen in c# with VS 2003  this line contains the application name).

I didn't find any place to insert the Product Name in The VS2003 IDE.

Thank you

roy

Monday, March 05, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

In VS2003 you can change the productname in AssemblyInfo.cs file.

Put the name in [assembly: AssemblyProduct("ProductName here")]

Thank you

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 2:57 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  I was happy to find this solution.  Except that it didn't work.  I added my product name as directed and rebuilt the application.  Then I rebuilt the installer and installed it.  The name still doesn't show up.  The icon is there, but no name.  Perhaps I have something setup incorrectly?  I am fairly new to C# and .NET so it wouldn't surprise me if I did.

I'm using .NET 1.1 on XP in VS.NET 2003.

Here's my code from AssemblyInfo.cs:

[assembly: AssemblyTitle("AnalyzeTrace")]

[assembly: AssemblyDescription("Analyze trace files")]

[assembly: AssemblyConfiguration("x")]

[assembly: AssemblyCompany("XYZ")]

[assembly: AssemblyProduct("Analyze Trace")]

[assembly: AssemblyCopyright("2007")]

[assembly: AssemblyTrademark("tm")]

[assembly: AssemblyCulture("")]

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 11:09 PM
  • I am having the same problem... have tried all the above but when I go to "open with" the icon for my program is shown as the one item under "Recommended Programs" but the name is blank.  This is a VB program with Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Screen shot at http://www.email.net/jon/openWith.gif
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:40 PM
  • AssemblyTitle and AssemblyProduct attributes don't seem to work for me. Has anyone found a solution?
    Friday, May 25, 2012 9:54 PM