none
Setup project & Shortcut to startup folder

Question

• Hello,

I create Winform application, and I want to launch it when Windows Startup.

I create a Setup Project witch install my application into Program File folder, and create shortcut into User's Program Menu.

But how can I create shortcut into Startup foler ?

Thanks

Damien,

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Damien, we hope to help you here.

If you are using the setup and deployment project in the full Visual Studio then follow these steps.

• in the setup project, right click on it in solution explorer then go to view > File System

next, you will see a Window in the middle of the screen with 2 window panes.

• be sure to include the output project in the "Application Folder" of this treeview (click on it to select it then in the right hand window pane, right click > Add > project output > then select Primary output"

• In the left hand pane "File system on target machine", right click on it then go to "Add special folder" > "User's Startup folder"

this should now create the "User startup folder" in the tree.

• next, click on this folder created, then in the right hand pane, right click on it and go to Add > Create new shortcut

a dialog Window will appear so in this, select the Application folder then "Primary output from......" option

build it, and run it.

Does this help? Does it work for you? Any problems? what are they?

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Damien, we hope to help you here.

If you are using the setup and deployment project in the full Visual Studio then follow these steps.

• in the setup project, right click on it in solution explorer then go to view > File System

next, you will see a Window in the middle of the screen with 2 window panes.

• be sure to include the output project in the "Application Folder" of this treeview (click on it to select it then in the right hand window pane, right click > Add > project output > then select Primary output"

• In the left hand pane "File system on target machine", right click on it then go to "Add special folder" > "User's Startup folder"

this should now create the "User startup folder" in the tree.

• next, click on this folder created, then in the right hand pane, right click on it and go to Add > Create new shortcut

a dialog Window will appear so in this, select the Application folder then "Primary output from......" option

build it, and run it.

Does this help? Does it work for you? Any problems? what are they?

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:45 AM
  • Thanks very much for your answer.

It's a very complete and clear solution.

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:28 AM
  • great, glad I could help!
    Friday, September 22, 2006 2:42 PM
  • Thank you too.

It was exactly what I need.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 2:38 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have tried the steps mentioned in the post. In my application, there is code to test if the user is trying to run the application twice.

When i boot the pc, it gives the error message that the user is trying to run the application twice. However, I do not get this error message when I run the application from the shortcut in the Programs menu.

What can be causing this behaviour?

Ruby.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 1:53 PM
  • very needful, i want to know how we can give a setup icon to our exe file  
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:39 AM
  • This solution work on windows 7 for advertisable shortcut correctly but for non advertisable shortcut it will not work on win 7
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:23 AM