none
how to show application in taskmanager application tab list when it is not shown in taskbar

Question

• Hello,

I develop one application in vb.net.
    Functional behavior like
    1) Application not shown in Task bar.
    2) Application will stay as Tray icon.
    3) Click on Tray Icon Menu open for Close Application.
    4) Application not Visible to user.

Problem is such like that when I open Task Manager , Application Instance is Show in Processes tab but not in Applications Tab.
    I want to show that Application in Task Manager Application Tab Also

Any example (C# or vb.net) is more than appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• It seems that you need to write a Windows Service Apllication - runs in background.
    You need a Tray Icon - this can be an Windows application that have a Notify Icon component(tray icon).

You can set that your Windows Application can interact (starts, stops, pauses) your Windows Service application(Quit Command for the try icon).

By example the antivirus service is a Widows Service Application, and Antivirus IHM is a Windows Forms one...

You can see here an example of this.

Best regards, Sergiu
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:31 AM
  • It seems that you need to write a Windows Service Apllication - runs in background.
    You need a Tray Icon - this can be an Windows application that have a Notify Icon component(tray icon).

You can set that your Windows Application can interact (starts, stops, pauses) your Windows Service application(Quit Command for the try icon).

By example the antivirus service is a Widows Service Application, and Antivirus IHM is a Windows Forms one...

You can see here an example of this.

Best regards, Sergiu

Thanks for your quick answer Sergiu,
    my Application is working fine with all functionality which i listed in my post
    but my problem is Application is not shown in Task Manager Application Tab list.
    Is there any other Solution/Example for this type of Application then please Help me out.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:58 AM
  • The Application tab of Task Manager will only ever show applications that have a visible window.  There's no workaround for that.  Why is this a problem?  The user has the NotifyIcon to get back to your app.

Hans Passant.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:40 AM
  • The Application tab of Task Manager will only ever show applications that have a visible window.  There's no workaround for that.  Why is this a problem?  The user has the NotifyIcon to get back to your app.

Hans Passant.

Thanks for You Answer Hans Passant,
    But I have one application which is in vb6 and it's window is not visible in task bar and also stay in tray.
    and it's instance also display in task manager Application Tab, my question is why the same application of vb.net not display in task manager Application Tab.

Thanks in Advance
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:51 AM
  • If your application is not visible in the TaskBar it will not be visible in the application Tab.

Why do you want to see it in the "Application Tab"?
    Best regards, Sergiu
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:25 PM
  • If your application is not visible in the TaskBar it will not be visible in the application Tab.

Why do you want to see it in the "Application Tab"?
    Best regards, Sergiu

hello,
    I have 4 - 5 application running. I need to know how many Applications are Running.
    So for that I want to see that Application Instance in Task Manager Application Tab List.

Thanks in Advance
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:03 AM
  • But you can see that in the process tab!

You just sort the processes by name and count it. :)

Best regards, Sergiu
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:37 AM
  • But you can see that in the process tab!

You just sort the processes by name and count it. :)

Best regards, Sergiu
    hello,
    Ya that is true it is show in process tab.
    But i want to see in Application Tab.

and that thing is works fine in Vb6 so why not in VB.net

when i do me.visible= false in vb then form is hide from task bar but shown in Task manager Application List.
    same thing i do in Vb.net but it will not show.

Thanks in Advance

Best regards, Sadiq Modan
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:19 AM