none
clickonce 2008 shortcut icon on desktop

Question

• Hello,

VS 2008

I know it wasn't possible for clickonce to create an desktop shortcut menu using 2005.

I am wondering does clickonce support the creation of desktop icons in 2008. I couldn't see anything under publish of the project properties.

After searching www.dogpile.com I can see there is a lot of source code for manually creating desktop icons using 2005. However, I am just wondering would I have to do the same for 2008.

Many thanks,

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:31 AM

Answers

• You'll need to upgrade to SP1.  Starting in VS 2008 SP1, you can create a desktop shortcut automatically with the deployment.  It is available in the Publish Options - "Create Desktop Shortcut"
    Monday, September 29, 2008 12:26 PM

All replies

• You'll need to upgrade to SP1.  Starting in VS 2008 SP1, you can create a desktop shortcut automatically with the deployment.  It is available in the Publish Options - "Create Desktop Shortcut"
    Monday, September 29, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Do you also have to push .Net 3.5 as a prerequisite to get this feature?  (You have to in order to use the new file associations properties).

I have some code that will do this programmatically if you have to use .Net 3.5 and you don't want to. Just post back and I will post the code.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Hello Robin,

I am not sure what you mean when you say "push .Net 3.5 as a prerequisite to get this feature?" However, as I have re-built my application using 3.5 sp1, I have unchecked 3.5 and checked 3.5 sp1 under prerequisites in the publish tab.

"You have to in order to use the new file associations properties" I am not sure that I understand this.

However, since I upgrade to 3.5 sp1 I have been getting problems trying to deploy. I have posted to a reply to someone else problem who had a similar problem as me. Here is the link:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/d3c1991a-9353-43f0-be82-2dacedc1ceba

Many thanks,

Steve
    Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:50 PM
  • With VS2008, you can target .Net 2.0, .Net 3.0, .Net 3.5, or .Net 3.5 SP1. What I meant was that you have to target .Net 3.5 SP1, and it's generally best to also select that under the Prerequisites dialog so if the user does not have it installed, it will install it.

The File Association settings don't work unless you are using .Net 3.5 SP-1.  I wasn't sure if this is also true of the shortcut on the desktop. That is just an option under the Manifests section of the Options dialog.

How about if you just post the problems you are having rather than redirecting me to another link?

Thanks,

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Monday, October 06, 2008 4:41 AM