none
dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Question

• I am getting the "dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error when trying to install a clickonce app for a user that does not have admin rights.  It works fine for admin users.  I  know other people have had this issue but I have not seen a clear cut solution.  Does anyone know what is going on.  Also, is there a log file that might have more information.

I checked the event viewer on the machine and I see .Net errors with the following text:
    EventType : clr20r3     P1 : dfsvc.exe     P2 : 2.0.50727.42     P3 : 4333af20
    P4 : mscorlib     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 4333ab80     P7 : 3450     P8 : 29    
    P9 : system.argumentnullexception  

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:07 PM

Answers

• I thought I would post the result if anyone else has the issue.  It looks like the non-admin user did not have read/write access to the following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment

Thanks for all  your help!
    Friday, December 29, 2006 3:04 PM

All replies

• I noticed another thing.  When logged in as the non-admin user, I can't see the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment.

Should the normal user see that Path?
    Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:05 PM
  • I get the following error when attaching a debugger to dfsvc:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentNullException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Path cannot be null.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 6:17 PM
  • I thought I would post the result if anyone else has the issue.  It looks like the non-admin user did not have read/write access to the following key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment

Thanks for all  your help!
    Friday, December 29, 2006 3:04 PM
  •  

Hello Microsoft?  Are you home?  It's 2008. Please fix this error!
    Monday, January 07, 2008 9:14 PM
  • I have had to manage this problem on multiple Windows XP machines in the past several months. My Clickonce could give the error described here or another one. (Application cannot be started. Contact the application vendor.)

Basically, log in as admin and then delete the file:

C:\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat

for more info:

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:56 PM
  • This down  my system, but same error is comming,  wht  can i do?

Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:21 PM
  •  

Do you users have administrative privileges? That has fixed the problem for some people.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:53 PM
  • The problem has been corrected EVERY time in the 500 plus users I've been doing Click Once installs to by clearing out their user.dat file. This thread should be closed because the answer is already posted.

Adding admin privileges is the antithesis of 'least privilege' principle and it's counter to all that Click Once installs can provide. After all, the idea of a 'Local' install obviates the need for administrator privilege.

read the links above and learn how to fix the corrupted user rights. Assigning more rights is not the answer!

Monday, June 09, 2008 12:45 PM
  • User.dat or usrclass.dat?

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:01 AM
  • You got it right. usrclass.dat.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:15 PM
  • Thanks. I will make a note of that for when this problem comes up in the future.

RobinS.

GoldMail.com

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:15 PM
  • The problem has been corrected EVERY time in the 500 plus users I've been doing Click Once installs to by clearing out their user.dat file. This thread should be closed because the answer is already posted.

i have the same issue, deleting the usrclass.dat. file did not cure it, nor has wiping out the instations of the app locally, and i have admin rights

i don't know if its related but this problem only happened after the ssms2005 back compatibility pack for ss2000 and DTS designer was installed

currently reinstalling all .net frameworks and running a full virus scan

Definition of a Beginner
    Someone that is unaware of the rules that need to be obeyed

Definition of an Expert
    Someone that know when and which rules to ignore
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:44 AM
  • net 2.0 is refusing the repair but the repair for 3.5 worked fine and still not working virus scan negative
    Definition of a Beginner

Definition of an Expert
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 11:46 AM
  • ok got it sorted had to fully uninstall the .net framework and reinstall the lot but its working again
    Definition of a Beginner

Definition of an Expert
    Monday, September 06, 2010 10:14 AM