none
msi installation hangs - Windows 7

Question

• Hi All

We have a coustom application that was built using .Net 1.1 framework . We install it using msi . We are successfull with that in all previous versions of except Windows 7 . The process proceeds upto 95% and stops there . I checked the task manager and the process is in run status only . There was no error message that was found in the event viewer also . later we successfull captured the logs for this process and i am pasting it below .

Action 19:20:17: WriteRegistryValues. Writing system registry values
    WriteRegistryValues: Key: \Software\doxLauncher, Name: Path, Value: C:\Program Files\iNautix\doxLauncher\
    WriteRegistryValues: Key: \Software\doxLauncher, Name: appPath, Value:
    Action 19:20:17: _E38382CC_62AA_4EAB_902B_A4DB10935B99.commit.
    Action 19:20:17: _1534D5DC_D837_4EB3_A3A1_B7EFAA0CAAF5.rollback.
    Action 19:20:17: _FDDDDC41_E7D1_4E2A_9C9C_6437B07F1B8F.install.
    CustomAction _FDDDDC41_E7D1_4E2A_9C9C_6437B07F1B8F.install returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 19:20:17: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Can someone help me out with this ??????

• Moved by Helen Zhou Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:29 AM (From:Windows Forms General)
    Monday, June 07, 2010 8:11 AM

All replies

• Welcome to the MSDN Forums.

Please try your query at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads/ (ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects) where you will get better and quicker answers from related experts there.

Thank you

LEARN HOW WPF IS FLEXIBLE IN PRESENTATION DURING A QUICK SIMPLE WALKTHROUGH:
    Walkthrough: Displaying multi column ComboBox by using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) data templating
    Monday, June 07, 2010 8:47 AM
  • As Yasser suggested for getting better solutions please move your post to the specified forum.

By looking through the log it seems permission issue. Have you tried running the msi as administrator?

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L
    [MVP Visual C#]
    Dot Net Goodies
    Don't hate the hacker, hate the code
    Monday, June 07, 2010 8:57 AM
  • yes Aditi , we are running the msi as adminstrator only . let me do as you guys suggested . wasnt very sure of the thread
    Monday, June 07, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Hi All

We have a coustom application that was built using .Net 1.1 framework . We install it using msi . We are successfull with that in all previous versions of except Windows 7 . The process proceeds upto 95% and stops there . I checked the task manager and the process is in run status only . There was no error message that was found in the event viewer also . later we successfull captured the logs for this process and i am pasting it below .

Action 19:20:17: WriteRegistryValues. Writing system registry values
    WriteRegistryValues: Key: \Software\doxLauncher, Name: Path, Value: C:\Program Files\iNautix\doxLauncher\
    WriteRegistryValues: Key: \Software\doxLauncher, Name: appPath, Value:
    Action 19:20:17: _E38382CC_62AA_4EAB_902B_A4DB10935B99.commit.
    Action 19:20:17: _1534D5DC_D837_4EB3_A3A1_B7EFAA0CAAF5.rollback.
    Action 19:20:17: _FDDDDC41_E7D1_4E2A_9C9C_6437B07F1B8F.install.
    CustomAction _FDDDDC41_E7D1_4E2A_9C9C_6437B07F1B8F.install returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 19:20:17: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Can someone help me out with this ??????

Monday, June 07, 2010 9:16 AM
  • It looks like you fired off an install custom action that failed. What does it do?
    Phil Wilson
    Monday, June 07, 2010 4:47 PM
  • there is actually nothing happpening , the installation progress bar progresses to 95% and stops there . There is nothing else happening
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:12 AM
  • i am also pasting the event viewer entry tho it did not help me much ,

see if you guys can help me out with the info  i have

1) Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: <mispath>. Client Process Id: 3340.

2)Successfully created restore point (Process = <mispath>/V; Description = Installed <application name>).

3)Starting session 0 - ‎2010‎-‎05‎-‎31T10:45:20.216999400Z.

4)The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Ok, again: That log shows that a custom action is being called. What does the custom action do? I assume it's your installer class code, and it's crashed in some way.  We can't address that problem. without figuring out what your custom action is doing to cause a crash. If the issue is that you think that Windows Installer is broken then you need to file a bug report with Microsoft, not here. All we can do here is see how to stop your custom action causing the hang. 
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:34 PM
  • thanks for your response .

We tried to install few of our coustom application using msi file  in windows 7 machine . But we were not successful in any of this cases . not sure if this issue  is related to our class code because these msi packages ran fine in XP and 2000 . Could there be any known bug that is not allowing us proceed with the installation

Thanks in ADVANCE !! :)

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:16 AM
  • It's related to your code because that's what the log shows is failing. There are many reasons why Windows 7 behaves differently compared to XP. Windows 7 is a UAC system, as an example, so you code will behave differently.
    Phil Wilson
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:07 PM
  • can you elaborate on the potential differences between Windows 7 and XP that is causing the installation to hang after 95%

Friday, June 11, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Hi Aravind,

Could you please provide the code of the custom action? For the methods those need to be executed with higher privileges, you need to add PrincipalPermission Attributes to them:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.security.permissions.principalpermissionattribute.aspx

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:23 AM
  • Hi All

I am facing exactly same problem as Aravind is facing.We have few windows services developed using .Net framework 1.1(VS2003).For each windows service an msi installer(set up project) is created to make installation easier.These installers are able to install windows services successfully in windows XP.But these installers unable to install windows service in WIN7 though I have admin privileges on the machine in which I am trying install them.While I am trying  to install the windows service in win7, Through msi installer,installation is progressing till 90%.After that it is neither completing nor throwing an error.I am unable to understand what the problem is.

I tried following ways.

1.Opened cmd window in admin mode and tried to execute the msi with the command msiexec -i <msipath> --Din't work

2.Right clicked on the actual exe(windows service exe) file and tried to run it in admin mode.--Din't work

3.Changed the UAC to never notify, restarted the machine and then tried to install--Din't work

4.Right clicked on both exe and msi and open their properties and changed the compatibility to lower version of windows and tried to install--Din't work

One thing I have noticed is that for all the custom actions of our windows service installer, primary output of our main project(exe) was given as input.I build the msi installer by removing all the custom actions.Then i tried to install it in win7.Then it was installed.But during the installation system not prompted for account details  (which is the actual case while installing windows service) and also the service was not appeared in services manager window.

I spent somuch time to identify the cause and resolution.But I dint find any posts(except this one raised by Aravind) on this issue.I suspect that the problem is with custom actions.But not sure.If the problem is with custom actions please let me know how to overcome it.

Please provide a resolution for this issue or share me if there are any links which talks about this.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:39 PM
  • The issue is that these problems are in your custom code that's being called from the install, so it's the same as saying "my program worked on XP but it crashes on Windows 7.  It'll be your custom action code because frankly that is the primary cause of install failures.  In general it has to be defensive code that checks for all situations where it might fail.  If it's a NET Dll, it's being called from an msiexec.exe process during the install, so you cannot write the code as if it's running in your application context. Windows 7 is UAC, and custom actions run with the system account, that might be something to do with it. There's nothing to stop you writing a trace to a file from your custom action code saying what it's doing.

Phil Wilson

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Hi All,

I am having the same problem.

If I remove the custom actions then it installs ok.

I then tried to create an "empty" custom action - as in override the Install, Commit, Rollback and Uninstall methods but just call the base class. I dont have any code other than the base calls. This then causes the installer to fail on Windows 7 again, as reported in this post.

One solution that did work was to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 and .Net2.0. If I build the solution in VS2010 it works on both Windows XP and Windows 7, although this does not help me as I need to install on a system that only has .net 1.1 installed and that cannot be changed (it's on a legacy product that still needs to be supported).

Thanks

Darren.

Friday, February 24, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Hi All,

I am having the same problem.

If I remove the custom actions then it installs ok.

I then tried to create an "empty" custom action - as in override the Install, Commit, Rollback and Uninstall methods but just call the base class. I dont have any code other than the base calls. This then causes the installer to fail on Windows 7 again, as reported in this post.

One solution that did work was to upgrade to Visual Studio 2010 and .Net2.0. If I build the solution in VS2010 it works on both Windows XP and Windows 7, although this does not help me as I need to install on a system that only has .net 1.1 installed and that cannot be changed (it's on a legacy product that still needs to be supported).

Thanks

Darren.

It sounds as if you're using an old unsupported Visual Studio that generateds setups that don't work on Windows 7. I don't think NET 1.1 is even supported any more according to the .NET FW lifecycle support page, and I don't believe it's supported on Windows 7. The app needs upgrading to work and be installed on Windows 7.

Phil Wilson

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:32 PM