none
Deployment and application do not have matching security zones

Question

• Question: Is this problem seen below due to the fact I did not include a certificate on a ClickOnce deployment?  Funny thing is that it installs perfect on my machine, but others cannot install...

VERSION INFO

Windows             : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 4.0.30319.269
        System.Deployment.dll         : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        clr.dll             : 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
        dfdll.dll             : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        dfshim.dll             : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///C:/Users/ClientUser/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_MyApplication.zip/MyApplication/MyApplication.application

IDENTITIES
        Deployment Identity        : MyApplication.application, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0000000000000000, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
        * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
        Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
        * Activation of C:\Users\ClientUser\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_MyApplication.zip\MyApplication\MyApplication.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
            + Deployment and application do not have matching security zones.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
        No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
        * The manifest for this application does not have a signature. Signature validation will be ignored.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
        * [7/30/2012 6:27:29 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\ClientUser\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_MyApplication.zip\MyApplication\MyApplication.application has started.
        * [7/30/2012 6:27:30 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
        * [7/30/2012 6:27:30 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
        Following errors were detected during this operation.
        * [7/30/2012 6:27:30 PM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (Zone)
            - Deployment and application do not have matching security zones.
            - Source: System.Deployment
            - Stack trace:
                at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
                at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
                at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
        No transaction information is available.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:53 PM

Answers

• Thanks Robin for helping.  I finally had to get rid of Click Once and installed the free Installshield LE edition.   I found it is actually easier to use than Click Once (if you have problems with Click Once).  

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, August 03, 2012 4:09 PM

All replies

• You're installing it from your machine, not from the internet. How are your customers installing it?

Is it a full trust application, or are you trying to use partial trust?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Customer was installing from a download and clicking on setup.exe .  When I tried the same thing from my desktop everything worked.  (clicking directly on the setup.exe)...

Application was full trust.  But I didn't sign it.

The setup.exe was created via Publish in VS2010.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Customer was installing from a download and clicking on setup.exe .

Hi Mr. Javaman II,

Does the customer download the entire deployment files? Download the Setup.exe can't make the application installed correctly.

Does the customer install it through IE? Does the issue occur if he install the ClickOnce application through IE?

If the custom install the clickOnce application through IE,  could you please try to add the install web site to the Trusted Sites?

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:07 AM
  • If it's a zip file, is he unzipping it first? It doesn't look like it:

C:/Users/ClientUser/AppData/Local/Temp/Temp1_MyApplication.zip/MyApplication/MyApplication.application

Why aren't you signing it even with a cert from Visual Studio?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Friday, August 03, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Thanks Robin for helping.  I finally had to get rid of Click Once and installed the free Installshield LE edition.   I found it is actually easier to use than Click Once (if you have problems with Click Once).  

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Friday, August 03, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi Mr. Javaman II,

I'm glad you find a workaround. However, I'm not sure if windows installer is a better choice in your situation as ClickOnce and Windows installer have different advantages and disadvantages.

I suggest you to read the article Choosing a Deployment Strategy before you actually change the deployment technology.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 06, 2012 7:38 AM
  • no internet how? stand alone how? you prompt a message tell our customer we're wrong? because what?
    Monday, January 13, 2014 10:43 AM