none
Installing Quickbooks SDK using ClickOnce technology

Question

• I am using Visual Studio 2010 & Windows7. My requirement is to install the Quickbooks SDK using ClickOnce technology.

It should install the SDK only when there is no SDK available in the machine.

I need suggestions for what kind of procedure to be followed for fulfill my need. Any advice is greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Sage_,

I think you can use "Bootstraper Manifest Generator" to create your custom prerequisites.

Some general operations of BMG is introduced in this article:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15863/Add-your-own-custom-prerequisite-to-quot-ClickOnce

You can use System Check and Install Conditions to check whether you need to install the prerequisite.

After you have created your custom prerequisite, it will be generated in your Document folder. You can copy it to the path like:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages

It will appear in your VS 2010 prerequisites list.

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Sage_ Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sage_ Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sage_ Monday, November 12, 2012 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Sage_,

I think you can use "Bootstraper Manifest Generator" to create your custom prerequisites.

Some general operations of BMG is introduced in this article:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15863/Add-your-own-custom-prerequisite-to-quot-ClickOnce

You can use System Check and Install Conditions to check whether you need to install the prerequisite.

After you have created your custom prerequisite, it will be generated in your Document folder. You can copy it to the path like:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages

It will appear in your VS 2010 prerequisites list.

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Sage_ Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sage_ Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sage_ Monday, November 12, 2012 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hi Hong,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your suggestion.

I've followed and explored the procedure you mentioned.

But the problem is I am unable to view the custom prerequisite in the VS 2010 Prerequisites list, even after successfully copying it in the Packages folder.

Please suggest me what should I do now to rectify this.

regards,

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Hi Sage_,

Would you like to look into the package you created. There should be Product.xml and Package.xml in sub folders.

Also if you are using ClickOnce to publish the application, you need to re-open the solution to refresh the prerequisites list.

Please feel free to let us know if the issue also exists.

Best regards,

Chester Hong

Friday, November 09, 2012 9:03 AM
  • You need to close Visual Studio and re-open it to see new prerequisites. Closing the solution will not refresh the list.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Friday, November 09, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Hi Hong & Robin,

The functionality is working fine now.

Actually, the delay in the visibility of the prerequisite file is happened by a silly mistake.

I've followed the entire process suggested by Hong as it is.

At the end after successfully creating the package manifests in the local file path, I've copied them into the Packages sub-folder of the Bootstrapper folder.

I've copied these Package manifest folders into a single folder created in the Packages folder, which shouldn't be done.

The only thing I forgot was to save the created Project file.

By doing that, BMG is creating a file with extension ".VSBootstrapperManifest".

Later, by refreshing the Visual Studio I was able to notice the required prerequisite file in the list.

Special thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Best regards,

Sage_

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:41 AM