none
Activation of Clickonce Application Fails - Error:The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

Question

• Hi,

We are trying to install and launch the application from a Internet URL, it works proper in all windows version except windows 7  IE 8  64 bit.

The details of the error is below:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
     Windows    : 6.1.7600.0 (Win32NT)
     Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.4927
     System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
     mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
     dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
     dfshim.dll    : 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

SOURCES
     Deployment url   :  URL with Query String

ERROR SUMMARY
     Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
     * Activation of URL with Query String

resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
     No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
     There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
     * [6/18/2010 10:58:43 AM] : Activation of  URL with QueryString

has started.

ERROR DETAILS
     Following errors were detected during this operation.
     * [6/18/2010 10:58:43 AM] System.IO.FileNotFoundException
      - The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore(UInt32 Flags, IntPtr hToken, Guid& riid)
       at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.GetUserStore()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore..ctor(ComponentStoreType storeType, SubscriptionStore subStore)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
       at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
       at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
     No transaction information is available.

Did somebody come across this problem and is there any resolution that can be applied while publishing the app?

Thank you guys for help.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you check the certificate store on that machine and make sure the certificate is not installed? To do this, click on start and put in certmgr.msc and look in the Personal store. This is the only reason I can think of for the certificate prompt to not come up.

Does this user already have the application installed and you are installing an update, or is this a fresh install?

The other thing you can try is to remove the ClickOnce cache. On Windows 7 it is here. Just delete the 2.0 folder. Note that this will remove all ClickOnce apps; be sure to uninstall them first (or try to) through Add/Remove programs.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:04 AM

All replies

• Is this the only 64-bit machine you have tried to install it on? What is the target CPU of your application? If it's "any cpu", are there any assemblies that won't run under 64-bit? For example, managed DirectX runs in 32-bit mode only, and we have to set the target CPU of our main project (and our audio project with the DirectX dll's) to "x86".

RobinDotNet

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Hi gsolaiappan,

Did you install via IE8 32-bit on that Windows 7? What is the target platform of your project(it ought to be AnyCPU)?

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Guys,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually the machine which has trouble is  having Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OS and  not 64 bit.

The deployment is compiled with ANY CPU as a target and click once manifest is signed.

The symptom of the issue is when we click the appname.application from IE8 it launches the app without showing the security certificate to install the application, after verification it simple says "Cannot Start Application" and when I click the details I see the above error. It happens only on that machine I was not able to reproduce it anywhere else. I'm not sure if the machine is a trouble.

Its a simple windows form appilication with framework targeted to 2.0.

Any advice will be of a big help.

• Edited by gsolaiappan Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:16 PM spelling
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

Can you check the certificate store on that machine and make sure the certificate is not installed? To do this, click on start and put in certmgr.msc and look in the Personal store. This is the only reason I can think of for the certificate prompt to not come up.

Does this user already have the application installed and you are installing an update, or is this a fresh install?

The other thing you can try is to remove the ClickOnce cache. On Windows 7 it is here. Just delete the 2.0 folder. Note that this will remove all ClickOnce apps; be sure to uninstall them first (or try to) through Add/Remove programs.

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0

RobinDotNet

Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Hi gsolaiappan,

How is your issue now? Does Robin's reply helps?

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Couple of clues:

We had this problem with a single computer in the whole plant.

-It had only the .net 4 during the windows 7-64 sp1 installation so the .net 3.5 wasn't updated. i.e. the following registry entry didn't exists

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Deployment\ClickOnce35SP1Update

-We tried all the steps shown in the following link with no success

http //stackoverflow.com/questions/7779043/filenotfoundexception-during-clickonce-install-missing-hkcu-software-classes-so

PC techs will try to re-create the whole user profile to fix this issue.

I will let you know.

Monday, January 07, 2013 10:31 PM
  • We have same issue however PC tech deleted users profile that didn't fix this issue.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:02 PM