none
VSTO ClickOnce Application with the same identity is already installed

Question

• I have issues similar to the one described below

http://ddkonline.blogspot.com/2011/07/fix-for-vsto-clickonce-application.html

with many computers that already had my VSTO ClickOnce plugin installed. I think this was caused by me changing the signing certificate, but at this point the users don't see the plugin in their Add/Remove Programs, and one of the users removed the plugin from Excel (after uninstalling the plugin) and used the rundll method decribed in the linke above but the plugin still won't install, throwing the same error.

Where else should we look to erase leftovers of the previous version?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi dnarvaez,

Is the VSTO ClickOnce application an online-only application or online / offline one?

"mage -cc" command will clear all the online-only ClickOnce application cache, have you tried to also use this command? If this does not help, would you like to also try to temporarily rename the user\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0 folder to see whether you can install? All ClickOnce applications are installed in a per-user, per-app sub folder here.

Here are some detaied information about the identity issue in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpf/thread/820064ae-2378-4d35-9a29-c096052bef7a/

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 6:30 AM
  • Will try renaming that folder and will let you know...
    Friday, February 08, 2013 4:58 PM
  • Hi dnarvaez,

I'll temporarily mark the thread as answered.

If you think it doesn't help you to solve the problem, please feel free to unmark it.

Best regards,

Chester Hong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:51 AM
  • That didn't help. I should mention my end users install this from a local installer I send them, not from a URL (which seems to be the case covered in the link you sent).

For this test, my end user removed his MS Office installation, removed the 2.0 folder above, reinstalled MS Office and tried reinstalling the VSTO Add-In but it failed with the same identity error message. What else should I try?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Have your user reboot after removing the 2.0 folder and before installing it again. There's a deal with shadow assemblies and so on with VSTO apps, and sometimes the installs are "sticky" where they aren't with regular desktop apps.

Can you explain more about the local installer deal? What is the installation URL for the VSTO add-in? Does it get it from a server or a file share, or is it packaged, and how does that work exactly?

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:20 AM
  • I develop this plugin in VS 2010. I then publish for a CD installation, pointing that publish to a local folder. That creates several files, including a setup.exe and the manifest thing. I then zip it all and send it to the end users. I guess the installation URL  in this case is the file:// URI of the unzipped folder, right?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:08 AM
  • About rebooting, I don't think they did. But if the users haven't been able to load this plugin ever since they removed it from the Control Panel, can shadow copies be a problem?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Do you have to have your customers install it from a CD? I don't think that's strictly supported with VSTO applications. Do they not have internet access?

If it's a problem with not having a webserver to deploy it to, you can deploy it to Azure blob storage for a few pennies a month.

http://robindotnet.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/how-to-host-a-clickonce-deployment-in-azure-blob-storage/
    http://robindotnet.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/host-your-clickonce-deployment-in-azure-for-pennies-per-month/

The VSTO deployment has to have an installation URL filled in. You can't assure that the CD drives for all of your users have the same letter assigned to them. So what are you filling in as the installation URL in the publish page?

The problem you are seeing is a manifestation of that issue. The installation URL is part of the security of the deployment, and used for the source of updates, etc.

Your guy who's seeing multiple ones installed, or it won't let him install it -- you'll need to make sure it's uninstalled, delete the apps\2.0 folder, and reboot. If it still thinks it's installed, you will need to edit the registry and look for the name of your add-in, and delete all occurrences.

Good luck.

RobinDotNet

Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Microsoft MVP, Client App Dev

Sunday, March 24, 2013 8:41 PM